Your Thoughts on the Windows 8.1 Preview

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Pro Preview Installation Page.png

Most of you may know that the Windows 8.1 Preview just went live for download today. I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the preview. Is it what you expected? Or maybe it's not that big of an update to you?

I'm personally using the Pro Preview and I'm still looking at what's actually different in this version, but I'll update as I get snooping around.

For those of you that want to get it and learn more about it can go to the official Microsoft page here and/or visit the WP Central article regarding the list updates presented in 8.1 here.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I really need to know something before I upgrade to preview.

I currently have Windows 8 Pro btw, and it's my main computer.

1. If I upgrade, will my programs (not apps) still be there? Like Steam (including games etc.), Photoshop and so on.
2. If I upgrade, will it be possible to upgrade to the final version of W8.1 when it comes (while not beeing charged, since I already bought 8.0 Pro)

qwe123878

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I really need to know something before I upgrade to preview.

I currently have Windows 8 Pro btw, and it's my main computer.

1. If I upgrade, will my programs (not apps) still be there? Like Steam (including games etc.), Photoshop and so on.
2. If I upgrade, will it be possible to upgrade to the final version of W8.1 when it comes (while not beeing charged, since I already bought 8.0 Pro)

1. Everything will be there, if you decide to upgrade from 8 pro to 8.1 preview.
2. Yes, you are able to upgrade from 8.1 preview to the final rtm 8.1, but you will lose all the programs you installed(desktop and modern ones). The upgrade is free, you can find that on the 8.1 preview page.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If I could get the pre requisite update to install I'd tell you, unfortunately on both my desktop and Surface RT it won't install.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep i installed it, but what then? There's nothing, no proper guide, no notification no changes in windows.
It seems that lil file is useless.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
How are you all installing the preview? I can't download the ISO files yet... is it possible to do a clean install with the preview or is it treated like an OS upgrade?

cmscritic

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
On my surface, I went to Download Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows and was given the option to "get the update".. I downloaded and installed it, rebooted as instructed and once I got logged back in, received a popup message telling me to visit the store to get the 8.1 preview, which I did. It's now downloading.

I noticed that when I went to this page on a machine other than my surface, I got a "iso files not available yet" message.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
1. Everything will be there, if you decide to upgrade from 8 pro to 8.1 preview.
2. Yes, you are able to upgrade from 8.1 preview to the final rtm 8.1, but you will lose all the programs you installed(desktop and modern ones). The upgrade is free, you can find that on the 8.1 preview page.

Is it possible to get it as a clean install not an update?

I'd like to install it in a virtual machine while keeping my regular Windows 8.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Is it possible to get it as a clean install not an update?

I'd like to install it in a virtual machine while keeping my regular Windows 8.

Not yet (officially at least). The ISOs are on TechNet, but not available for public download yet. But in the next day or so, they will be making an ISO available to all.

dwigfor

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
2a) If I wait until the official Windows 8.1 release, when I upgrade, will I still lose all the programs installed (desktop and modern)? Is that only if I first install the preview release?

brianLTE

May 30, 2012
Visit site
An amazing update IMO. I have to poke around some more to get more of a grasp of what's changed.

It was a pleasant surprise to have all my apps still there after the update. I was expecting to reinstall everything.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up. Some people are trying to install the preview and getting an error message: "Windows Update Standalone Installer: This update is not suitable for your computer." If you're seeing this and can't understand why the preview won't install it's because your computer is set to language en-gb. To install, it must be set to en-us.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
An amazing update IMO. I have to poke around some more to get more of a grasp of what's changed.

It was a pleasant surprise to have all my apps still there after the update. I was expecting to reinstall everything.

I had work right towards the end of the install. ;/ I'm really stoked to get off and snoop around lol.

smeshko

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody manag to install the update ? I'm stuck at pending for about 2 hours now. And can anyone confirm that all desktop apps get deleted ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786