Your Thoughts on the Windows 8.1 Preview

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm still a little confused on why they won't get rid of one of the version's of IE in windows 8 (and 8.1). It offers a fragmented experience over the desktop and metro (though, I guess that's the point? Maybe they are keeping two version's alive so that they can give two different types of user's what they want(i.e. the power user and the "normal" user)? IDK). The addition of a "start button" (but not really) in the corner is a nice touch, it will be easier for my mom (who is technology illiterate) to adjust to the changes from Windows Vista to 8.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It is generally a very impressive update. I will say though that there are a few things that are far from being ready for prime time. IE 11 has major issues with some sites. If for instance you use clicktime for timesheets, it is completely non functional. The new on screen keyboard is also an absolute nightmare on my Surface Pro. I am not a fast typist but it still misses lots of letters as I am typing. The predictive typing function is very distracting and quite slow as well. Last but not least, when you type a search or web address in IE 11 the spacebar is far too small for my usage.

For a few plusses, speed is increased across the board and I seem to have regained around 7GB of space on my Surface Pro after running disk cleanup. Before the update I was around 50GB of free space but afterward (and after running cleanup) I am at 58GB free. Most of the new apps are quite good and the new music features are rather nice. Loading PhotoShop a few seconds faster is also nice. Sadly though, the on screen keyboard renders it virtually useless for me. If I was not correcting every third or fourth word, this would be absolutely unreadable. For an update that takes touch to the next level, they seem to be struggling with the keyboard. The joke is I thought the 8.0 keyboard was quite solid.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is an excellent update! And if this is a preview I can imagine what the final version would be! Now they just need to bring these features to windows phone platform! Good work Microsoft!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love it! Still getting used to the Start Screen being a cornucopia of colors, rather than having all my desktop apps stay the same accent color as they used to. I must have missed this point in all the previews of 8.1 - the Start Screen looks less bland now. Xbox Music is also actually... usable! I'm impressed. I've encountered a few bugs that I've reported, but overall it's a very good update.

I need to update my SSD firmware anyway, which will likely wipe out the entire drive, so I figured I'll just postpone that until 8.1 goes final... I doubt I'd be able to upgrade preview to final without wiping everything anyway. That's how the last few previews have gone.

I find it amusing where they buried the "Boot to desktop" option. I had to search all over previews online until I finally found it. For anyone curious, you have to right click the taskbar on the desktop, go to properties, there is some new tab option in there (2nd tab from the left I believe) and the boot to desktop checkbox is sitting right there. I'm not at home right now, otherwise I would be more descriptive.

Hoping that WP 8.1 is just as packed with feature updates and graphical enhancements :)

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I having issues with my 8.1 install, even with a fresh image off the ISO. As soon as the machine is bound to a domain - all of the pre-installed apps like weather, mail, etc... have an "X" in the corner and won't launch. The error states to contact your local admin about repairing or reinstalling. As a domain admin myself, that doesn't exactly help.

If I log out and log in with a local admin account or microsoft account it all works fine.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Some of this stuff in 8.1 is a huge step forward, but there's also a lot of tiny steps in the wrong direction, as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably go into more detail later, but there's so many dumb little annoying things.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
IE 11 has turned into a dog for m (Surface RT).

Swipe back doesn't always work, using the back button is better, but still has issues.
Every page I go to, the load dots keep scrolling, even if I hit the stop button.
Some web sites are feeding me their mobile versions instead of their desktop versions.

I do like the a lot of the other improvements, desktop background on start screen, new apps, etc. But I'm getting ready to go back to 8.0, it's just to buggy for me.

OK, I figured out the IE back issues, there was another instance of it running in the background. Killed it and it's working better. Still have some sites presenting their mobile version though.

Last edited:

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
IE 11 has turned into a dog for m (Surface RT).

Swipe back doesn't always work, using the back button is better, but still has issues.
Every page I go to, the load dots keep scrolling, even if I hit the stop button.
Some web sites are feeding me their mobile versions instead of their desktop versions.

I do like the a lot of the other improvements, desktop background on start screen, new apps, etc. But I'm getting ready to go back to 8.0, it's just to buggy for me.

OK, I figured out the IE back issues, there was another instance of it running in the background. Killed it and it's working better. Still have some sites presenting their mobile version though.

Try giving it some time. Maybe one of the few very fast updates today did it. But somehow, things are a lot smoother now for me (I bitched earlier, and although I didn't mention IE then, it did exactly what you describe). Only bug left after one day of updates and background activity is the annoyingly bright screen. Grrrrr. If ai pointed it towards the window, I might attract aeroplanes.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I hate the new start button, I want it gone...makes no sense, I have one just below my screen on the surface, then one on my keyboard... plus hot key in the bottom left hand corner... it just takes up a spot on my task bar.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I hate the new start button, I want it gone...makes no sense, I have one just below my screen on the surface, then one on my keyboard... plus hot key in the bottom left hand corner... it just takes up a spot on my task bar.

I couldn't agree any more.

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree any more.

+1, but for the general user it's probably OK, considering the previous outrage. Anyway, the new Reader and Multitasking are sweet enough to let me forget about a whole taskbar full of start-buttons. I'd only have Word open and the taskbar minimized ;)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
+1, but for the general user it's probably OK, considering the previous outrage. Anyway, the new Reader and Multitasking are sweet enough to let me forget about a whole taskbar full of start-buttons. I'd only have Word open and the taskbar minimized ;)

I thought the outrage was that the old start button was gone...I actually feel this one is just a waste of space. It has no functionality. It would be neat if maybe they incorporated maybe settings, and documents inside the start button...but it is just goes to the metro home page and back to what app you were using.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I like the update, but not enough to lose everything I have on my Surface Pro and gaming rig to install it. I'm actually really excited for the new tile sizes and customization. That's where I thought win8 was really lacking.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey for the swipe to go back in IE11 metro, if it gets stuck in the middle (showing grey) just swipe that halfway back and then forward, kinds like a quick nudge and it will finish loading it. Not a fix, but helps you deal with it!

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The start screen is now a breeze to work with. I would never ever move to windows desktop unless and until necessary. Windows 8.1 is a brilliant update and I hope Windows Phone 8.1 does the same to Windows Phone software. Well done microsoft!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
IE11 is awesome , the OS is even lighter than Windows 8 and faster, Snap mode actually is a bless now( multitasking at its best).

I've yet to see something I liked better in Windows 8 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05