How to upgrade Samsung SGH-i917 to Windows Phone 7.8

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to upgrade my AT&T Samsung SGH-i917 to Windows 7.8 using the SevenEighter program, and I'm not sure what to select in the language selection dialog box. Do I need to select the Keyboard languages that I currently use on my phone (I only use English and Russian), or all languages displayed in the Keyboard settings screen (on the phone)? If it is the latter, what should I do about the languages that appear on my phone but are not available in the SevenEighter dialog box (such as Filipino, Chinese Simplified QWERTY, French (Canada), etc)? Thanks.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
go under region+language and check all the ones under display language
Oh, I thought (I actually read it in a few posts detailing 7.8 upgrade), that the language settings are under Keyboard. Under Region+Language, I only have English and Spanish, so it makes it easier. Thanks.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
This post has some information on languages and keyboards using seventy eighter. New tool helps make installing the Windows Phone 7.8 update slightly easier | Windows Phone Central

This post contradicts mikeeemm's tip. In the post, it says:

The key to doing these manual upgrades is choosing the right language packs. Doing that is easy but it’s very crucial to the process.

1. Settings –> Keyboard
  2. Make note of all of the languages installed
  3. Download the 7.8 language packs that are on your device

mikeeemm says language packs come from Display Language under Region+Language. Now I don't know whom to believe.

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I read it never said anything about keyboard languages. From what I understood it's the region because that will affect how the phone works
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I've installed 7.8 on five WP7 phones, and I've always looked under "keyboard" for the languages. All five installs were successful.
Did SevenEighter show all languages present on these five phones, or were there any missing? I don't see quite a few languages, and since people say that languages are important, I'm afraid I would brick it or make it malfunction. Don't want to spend a lot of time chasing CABs and doing manual installations.

anon(6144864)

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I read it never said anything about keyboard languages. From what I understood it's the region because that will affect how the phone works
I assume that you upgraded your SGH-i917, right? So you just picked English (United States) and Spanish (these are the only languages [but not under the keyboard, and it's just English, not English (United States)]? And it worked?

EKINGX

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Samung Focus (ATT version) and I just selected all the languages each time and it worked fine. There were a few times where the boot up timed out after an update but you just start the program up again and start the next update. I think it would be hard to brick your phone as long you just let the program run and don't disconnect the phone while it's updating. Be patient it takes a while since you are updating from 7720 all the way up to 8862.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
@Alek Davis
There were a few missing. On all occasions, the number of languages shown on my phone outnumbered the number of languages listed by Seven Eighter. For example, on the phones, Chinese had three or so items listed, but Seven Eighter only had one. Basically, if I saw any variant of a language on my phone, I checked the tab in 7 8-er. Honestly, I was a bit nervous each time I used it. I am, by far, not an expert when it comes to this stuff. It is nerve-wracking but doable. Good luck...not that that helps...:)But, I hope it works out for you.

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I assume that you upgraded your SGH-i917, right? So you just picked English (United States) and Spanish (these are the only languages [but not under the keyboard, and it's just English, not English (United States)]? And it worked?

I believe I checked 5 English Spanish Italian Dutch Chinese that's what was on my settings

lilyjoin

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
There were a few times where the boot up timed out after an update but you just start the program up again and start the next update.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)