Upgrading from Trophy - Need something small/lightweight - Suggestions?

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I?m due for an upgrade and have had a WP7 Trophy with Verizon for about 2 years. I really like the WP user experience and would prefer to stick with it, but I?m not sure there is a device to meet my needs right now.

The key features that I am looking for:

1. Equal or smaller than my trophy in size and weight (4.67 x 2.42 x 0.47 in) 4.94 oz (140 grams)
2. FM radio (not streaming)

I?m currently with Verizon (along with most of my family and friends) and would prefer to stay, but I?m willing to switch for the right device. Let me know if there is anything out there!

Thanks!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The only phone size wise that you may like on Verizon is the Samsung Odyssey guy. But im not a fan of that phone whatsoever. If you don't mind going a little bigger, the 8x and 822 are slightly bigger but pack many more features!

This all if you are staying on Verizon. Verizon only has 4 Windows Phones, so I suggest going into the store and just holding them all.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
if size is the issue the htc 8x and 8s are light phones, the 8x is a bit bigger but really just doesn't feel bulky at all.

I still recommend the nokia line ad they have shown a lot more support then when I had with my trophy. also I believe the nokia 928 hit .99 on amazon with a 2 year plan through Verizon.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
if size is the issue the htc 8x and 8s are light phones, the 8x is a bit bigger but really just doesn't feel bulky at all.

I still recommend the nokia line ad they have shown a lot more support then when I had with my trophy. also I believe the nokia 928 hit .99 on amazon with a 2 year plan through Verizon.

The 8s isn't available on Verizon (or in US at all).

The 8x is $.01 at Amazon and is MUCH smaller than the 928. And don't just buy the Nokia because people say "Nokia has more support!", yeh they have more exclusive apps than htc but that's all you'll notice

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The 8s isn't available on Verizon (or in US at all).

The 8x is $.01 at Amazon and is MUCH smaller than the 928. And don't just buy the Nokia because people say "Nokia has more support!", yeh they have more exclusive apps than htc but that's all you'll notice

I agree. I think it ultimately just comes down to preference between the 8x and the 822. Go into a store and play with both. I've got an HTC Trophy right now and both the 822 and 928 feel significantly bigger in my hands. The 8x feels just right going from the Trophy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's been since last November since I touched an 8x, so I'm not going to try to sound knowledgable on what it's like to use one, but the 822 is a really nice phone in a package very close to the size of the Trophy. The screen is worlds better, and that extra half inch of size is nice. The resolution is the same as Trophy's (800x480), where the 8x has a higher pixel density (1280x720), but because the 8x is 16:9 instead of the 16:10 that the other phones are, you will see black bands at the top/bottom (I don't know which, or both?) with some (many?) apps. The 822 screen is better in sunlight (IMO), and the colors are great, with that AMOLED screen. Pixel density and screen technology, given that the two have batteries of the same capacity, will result in longer battery life on the 822.

Unless the size absolutely has to be smaller than Trophy, I'd recommend the 822. If it has to be smaller, you're going to be looking at phones that I haven't handled, so I'm not going to comment on them - it would not be useful.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's been since last November since I touched an 8x, so I'm not going to try to sound knowledgable on what it's like to use one, but the 822 is a really nice phone in a package very close to the size of the Trophy. The screen is worlds better, and that extra half inch of size is nice. The resolution is the same as Trophy's (800x480), where the 8x has a higher pixel density (1280x720), but because the 8x is 16:9 instead of the 16:10 that the other phones are, you will see black bands at the top/bottom (I don't know which, or both?) with some (many?) apps. The 822 screen is better in sunlight (IMO), and the colors are great, with that AMOLED screen. Pixel density and screen technology, given that the two have batteries of the same capacity, will result in longer battery life on the 822.

Unless the size absolutely has to be smaller than Trophy, I'd recommend the 822. If it has to be smaller, you're going to be looking at phones that I haven't handled, so I'm not going to comment on them - it would not be useful.

I use both the 8x and 822 daily (both my parents have each) and I totally agree with what you said. But I had to suggest the 8x because it does have a smaller feel than the 822 strictly because it is much less volume. (plus the built in qi, 720p, camera and more)

You really cant go wrong with either, just go hold them! Put your skin on their lovely plastic and feel them up. Think about which one makes you feel better inside and out!

allibone

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a Lumia 800 for the past 1.5years and last week switched to a Lumia 720 and am loving it, it feels just the right size with it's 4.3 inch screen and feels much lighter than the 800 at 128g even though the 800 was only 14g heavier. The best thing though is the battery life, I can get 2 days out of it, I unplugged it from the mains this morning at 8:00am and it is now 8:00pm and I have 81% battery life left.

Full specs:
Dimensions
127.9 mm (5.04 in) H
67.5 mm (2.66 in) W
9 mm (0.35 in) D
Weight
128 g (4.52 oz)

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't own an HTC 8X, but my impression when I physically picked one up is that it was really light. It is genuine "big small" phone (i.e. seems smaller than it actually is).

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't own an HTC 8X, but my impression when I physically picked one up is that it was really light. It is genuine "big small" phone (i.e. seems smaller than it actually is).

Exactly. Lol It's really hard to explain, but you understand as soon as you hold one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss