Tether ? X Tethering Application Available for Windows Phone 8

RahulRana

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 users looking to use their devices as modems have typically been left out in the cold, as the operating system will flag attempts to connect additional devices to phones and drop messages asking owners to purchase additional services. Normally, this would mean that tethering wouldn?t be possible, but now a new app on the Windows Phone Marketplace aims to fix that in Tether ? X.
True to its name, Tether ? X opens up a tunnel connection via custom proxy on the device that is randomly generated. Once the proxy is generated, devices can be manually configured to connect via the address and access 3G/4G data through the tunnel via Wi-Fi. Surprisingly, the app itself is also free initially with an in-app purchase required for unlimited use, however owners of Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices have reported significant issues with proxy access and adhoc Wi-Fi support, so caveat emptor applies in that case, while users with devices by HTC have so far reported no issues.

Tether-X | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Attachments

• Tether-X-WP8.jpg
    Tether-X-WP8.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 312

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but the initial reports say the Lumias have been having trouble connecting.

So I went ahead and installed the free version. Now if I can get a 928 without having to break the bank, I'll be set.

goldcougar

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I was successful in getting this to work with my Nokia Lumia 920 tethered to my Surface Pro. Here are some tips for setup so that ALL traffic on your PC goes through the connection, instead of just IE.

1. Download Virtual Router manager (free): Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 8, Windows 7 and 2008 R2 - Home
When you launch it, enter an 8 character password and click Start Virtual Router

2. On your Phone, Go to Settings -> WiFi, and connect to your new WiFi that you'll see.
Also go into Advanced settings (at the bottom) and check the box to always stay connected

4. Open Tether-X on your phone, and click the Start Proxy button

3. Download Proxifier ($39.95 with free trial): Proxifier - Bypass firewall and proxy, tunnel connections through an HTTPS and SOCKS proxy
(I tried a bunch, including the free ones, but this is the only one I could get to work)
Go to Profile->Proxie Servers and add a proxie server (with the connection URL and port displayed in red on Tether-X on your phone)
When asked if you want to make it default, choose Yes
Go to Profile->Name Resolution. Uncheck "Resolve automatically" and "Check Resolve hostnames through proxy"
Click OK.

Now your all set. All traffic on your computer should route through your proxie :)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Ah, the good old days of Symbian Nokia phones, where I could tether with data, to any wifi device, without approval from any carrier, as the function was baked into the OS.

Will Dreiling

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Haha, yeah. And your 10 pound laptop connecting through a 802.11g PC card made great use of the 2G download speeds for the hour and a half the battery lasted. Those were the days.

cyb0rg9000

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
d00d! thank you for your insight tip! i was looking at proxifier & proxycap for my windows clients coming from squid on my linux box. i've used proxifier on mac osx before years ago for something to work around i cant remember. i think i was proxying netflix to my home server while i was on a trip in the philippines with my laptop. or it was gamer or IT related and needed to proxy ports heh.

anyway, i'm going to buy proxifier since it works. was thinking i could do this with netsh somehow or a open src proxy without shoveling out $40 bux but hey if it works it works. no need to fuss around small price to pay. i dont really leech apps anymore so when i see a good app i'll buy it.

Last edited:

cyb0rg9000

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
i wanted to add- this is sort of ridiculous to tether on windows phone to have to jump thru this many hoops. droid pdanet, no rooting droid or anything.
why does iphone and wp8 have such problems? is it really just the cellular ISPs causing the headache restricting tethering apps. my wife's galaxy s4 doesn't need adhoc and tether phone app and proxy desktop/laptop app. so iphone u literally have to jailbreak to do the same thing? xdanet said you'd need a msdn windows dev account (which i have) to tether until tether-x came out which isn't a true tether solution but at least i can do it. i didn't want to dev/sideload a tether app if it was against my ToS with MS. which leads me to my question- does this violate ToS with the carrier? tetherx + proxy. i really needed more than just web traffic on port 80 and 443. i knew i could use a proxy somehow to get it to fwd proxy other ports.
mainly looking to rdp on 3389, ssh on 22 for work and lab usage to connect to my servers in the datacenter, and for gaming whatever ports warcraft and diablo3 are listening for. i'm tempted to usenet over it but i don't want to get on a throttle bandwidth watch list. any idea if ur grandfathered in on an unlimited plan if carrier will take action? verizon, at&t etc.

cyb0rg9000

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
one more thing - i haven't benchmarked network stats yet, however, i was curious so i will follow up once i do so. i was wondering - my setup vs my wifes when it comes to network latency and extra hops.

mine being: wp8 + tether-x + adhoc + proxifier
hers being: samsung galaxy s4 and pdanet

i imagine with the connection going to the adhoc WAP to/from the phone and proxying those connections would take a tad bit longer to route the traffic vs her setup. i'll try to remind myself to update thread when i have results.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
i wanted to add- this is sort of ridiculous to tether on windows phone to have to jump thru this many hoops. droid pdanet, no rooting droid or anything.
why does iphone and wp8 have such problems? is it really just the cellular ISPs causing the headache restricting tethering apps. my wife's galaxy s4 doesn't need adhoc and tether phone app and proxy desktop/laptop app. so iphone u literally have to jailbreak to do the same thing? xdanet said you'd need a msdn windows dev account (which i have) to tether until tether-x came out which isn't a true tether solution but at least i can do it. i didn't want to dev/sideload a tether app if it was against my ToS with MS. which leads me to my question- does this violate ToS with the carrier? tetherx + proxy. i really needed more than just web traffic on port 80 and 443. i knew i could use a proxy somehow to get it to fwd proxy other ports.
mainly looking to rdp on 3389, ssh on 22 for work and lab usage to connect to my servers in the datacenter, and for gaming whatever ports warcraft and diablo3 are listening for. i'm tempted to usenet over it but i don't want to get on a throttle bandwidth watch list. any idea if ur grandfathered in on an unlimited plan if carrier will take action? verizon, at&t etc.

What hoops? My phone tethers without a problem, its people trying to get out of paying for it that have issues and have to jump through said hoops. Those are the rules set by the carrier, maybe not the most customer friendly but if you choose to use them can't really complain. Buy an unbranded phone and use a carrier that allows tethering included in its plans and you won't have a problem.

cyb0rg9000

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
one more one more thing-
if you are heavily relying on tethering i suggest taking a look at wilson electronics 4g signal amplifier boosters. i was a fan of their 3g signal booster back when I had an unlimited 3g plan with boost mobile. I was hesitant before when 4g launched in my state and waited for more reviews on their 4g antennas. im not on boost mobile anymore, but it was great so I bought their 4g stuff. sorry wilson i should've had more faith from the get go. i have the kit from them:
wilson electronics dual band 700-2700mhz 50 ohm wall mount panel antenna
wilson 801865 4g lte adjustable gain wireless amp
wilson 14 db 800 mhz yagi cellular antenna 301111 and low loss coax cables

this kit boosted me from 2-3 bars and sometimes 1-2 bars. now throughout my house to a full 4-5 bars. i was sporadically hitting 2-5Mbs down, often in the low 2s and random bursts up to 10Mbs
after investing $400 or so for parts and shipping..I consistently hit 15Mbs to 25Mbs never less.

i offloaded my on prem servers to a datacenter and only have to pay for power so I still have everything I need at home without paying for additional ISP thanks to grandfathered plan.

cyb0rg9000

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
What hoops? My phone tethers without a problem, its people trying to get out of paying for it that have issues and have to jump through said hoops. Those are the rules set by the carrier, maybe not the most customer friendly but if you choose to use them can't really complain. Buy an unbranded phone and use a carrier that allows tethering included in its plans and you won't have a problem.

i agree with you, however, i have unlimited data but can't tether/hot spot if i change my plan at all to add hotspot/tethering, I i lose unlimited data..sort of defeats the purpose but thats carrier's agreement. if ever tetherx is removed from the store then i suppose i will switch carriers per your suggestion with ubranded phone with a carrier that has unlimited data. i haven't looked at other unlimited data plans in a long time. so far i haven't see any confirmation if tether-x is or is not against ToS with carrier. i dont even know if pdanet on her droid is a breach of ToS.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
why does iphone and wp8 have such problems? is it really just the cellular ISPs causing the headache restricting tethering apps.
YES! It's the carriers, period.

I find it aggravating. I have found with my carrier it is wholly dependent on which phone you have. I have friends with the same plan I have, and depending on which phone they got (from the carrier and left stock), they can tether without paying extra for it. They are biased to Android, btw. Just so they can push you to their phones.

Carriers try to milk out as much $$$ as they can from their customers. Tethering is one of those things they feel they can charge extra for. Even though we think 'data is data', what's the difference if it is being used by our phones, or a computers through our phones? Carriers don't think that way. They haven't gotten to the point of just being ISP's.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
i agree with you, however, i have unlimited data but can't tether/hot spot if i change my plan at all to add hotspot/tethering, I i lose unlimited data..sort of defeats the purpose but thats carrier's agreement. if ever tetherx is removed from the store then i suppose i will switch carriers per your suggestion with ubranded phone with a carrier that has unlimited data. i haven't looked at other unlimited data plans in a long time. so far i haven't see any confirmation if tether-x is or is not against ToS with carrier. i dont even know if pdanet on her droid is a breach of ToS.

Well have to concede that you were right, just changed carriers to AIO and due to the way WP works even using an unlocked phone tethering doesn't work. No complaints as I knew it going in but for those emergencies or infrequent occasions you need to tether you cant. So apologies, and long live the haxors opening up functionality like this on WP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have any other recommendation for a proxy to use to redirect all traffic? I have tether-x working on my 1020 but only for IE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb