How to change phone number format in People?

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I'm an American living in the UK, therefore I have contacts for both countries in the People app. Is it possible to alter the number format to match the country, in the corresponding contact files?
I bluetoothed my contacts from android with the Transfer My Data app and they all seem to be in the US format, now. So, if I can't change each contact, how can I make all the contacts appear in the UK format? Seeing that the majority of my contacts are in the UK.

Thanks loads

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi this might help got to settings>application>phone and turn on international assistance at the bottom. This will automatically call the correct number format eg. Put 001 or 0044 in front of the number.

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi this might help got to settings>application>phone and turn on international assistance at the bottom. This will automatically call the correct number format eg. Put 001 or 0044 in front of the number.
Thanks, I had a look there, and it is was already set like that. It's actually in the phonebook or the People app, that I'd like to change it. It's dials ok, it just the way it looks.

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ya the only way is to edit them manually. I did a search and there's nothing out there as of yet. So it one by one edit for now.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you edit the number and save it, the phone will automatically format it for you. There is no quick way to do it on the phone

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
If you edit the number and save it, the phone will automatically format it for you. There is no quick way to do it on the phone

Ya the only way is to edit them manually. I did a search and there's nothing out there as of yet. So it one by one edit for now.
Thanks both, that's kind of what I thought. It may be faster if I accessed the contacts file on a PC, via the web. Think goggle has that option, but it still would probably be tedious. :p

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Under "settings","language and region"...
Thanks, its set as UK. I did think I had done that in the initial setup, I think the problem is they came over from android, in the wrong format. Think I'll try either going into my account on the Outlook site and seeing if there's way of doing stuff in there. Or connect the phone to a PC, and see what I can change it there.

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I found a fix for this, but the answer probably won't help most people on this forum, sorry. The reason for this, is because I had to use an android app to fix the numbers. I've just recently swapped over to WP8, so I still had my android phone and gmail account. So, once the app made the changes to the numbers (to the international standard) in my android contacts, I then went an deleted all my outlook.com contacts (which was a bit of work cause I couldn't find a batch delete option), I then synced the phone, which then gave me an empty contacts lists, and then I used "Transfer My Data" to add the re-formatted numbers from the android phone. Finally, I re-synced to the PC and now the outlook.com account matches the phone. It took a lot longer to figure out than to do... :grincry:
anyway thanks for the help all

CreepinJesus

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the format is down to how you save them to the contact to start with. You can type the number in as +441234567890 or +44 (1234) 567 890 or with hypens, however you like, and it will save the number like that.

Colossae323

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the format is down to how you save them to the contact to start with. You can type the number in as +441234567890 or +44 (1234) 567 890 or with hypens, however you like, and it will save the number like that.

yeah that's it, but if I remember correctly, it was android contacts that formatted all my numbers in the US format, from the beginning. So, when I moved them over, WP8 kept the format it was given. The UK numbers still worked, but it wasn't helpful, in like, trying to remember a number for instance. So really yeah, I needed to find away to sort this without changing the contacts one by one. And thank God, I did...

BloomMobiles

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
There are two ways you can get the phone number changed. Either get the new connection form the service provider. Or if you want to keep the number but change the service provider then you have to contact the customer care for the same. They will charge a nominal fee for the same

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes