I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this or not but im curious. Can Windows Phone 8 get a virus? And if so how do you get terminate or prevent it?
    07-08-2013 04:42 AM
    I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this or not but im curious. Can Windows Phone 8 get a virus? And if so how do you get terminate or prevent it?
    Short answer is no. Reason is due to the locked down nature of the OS and the sandboxing of apps. So technically it should be impossible to get a virus. So no need for a removal app. However, doesn't mean it won't happen.
    07-08-2013 05:04 AM
    Short answer is no. Reason is due to the locked down nature of the OS and the sandboxing of apps. So technically it should be impossible to get a virus. So no need for a removal app. However, doesn't mean it won't happen.
    Surely that should be "theoretically it should be impossible", since technically code, no matter how well written or scrutinised, is potentially vulnerable and exploitable.
    07-08-2013 05:40 AM
    Surely that should be "theoretically it should be impossible", since technically code, no matter how well written or scrutinised, is potentially vulnerable and exploitable.
    Sorry didn't realize we were being pedantic.

The main reason we have no file manager or ability to side load apps is due to the security features of WP. If WP allows these things then it becomes possible to have a virus or malware outbreak. Currently no virus or malware can get in due to the closed nature of the OS. All programs are pre-tested by MS to check for possible malware or viruses and those that fail are rejected.

On top of that, the extra security features mean that users have less control of the OS, which in general is a good idea as there are lot of users who don't pay attention to what they load on their home computers, let alone phones. However, it does reduce functionality (which doesn't bother most WP users). That being said I hope they do open it up a touch to allow some added functionality.
    07-08-2013 07:20 AM
    On a phone, Malware is much more of a problem.

Just read any article about Android security issues, and its where people have downloaded an app that shares information it shouldn't, or makes phone calls to premium rate numbers.

At the moment, WP doesn't really suffer from malware, but then Android has a significant portion of the market, so thats where malware writers focus their efforts, and its very easy to find and download apps from anywhere.

iOS, WP, etc are protected mostly by being locked into their own app stores, but the moment you jail break them, they are just as much of an issue as an Android device. There is iOS malware, available for jail broken devices. I'm sure i've read about similar for WP.
    07-08-2013 07:48 AM
    there was an article about a new ZTE WP that was supposed to be able to sideload apps the first phone to be able to do this right out oif the box. Its not released yet
    07-08-2013 08:02 AM