Little more open system.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
With the release of the 925 I saw a mappable camera app button. Do you think will become normal soon, I mean mappable apps as a whole. Such as an app gets approved to become a service by MS and that app will become primary app for that service. We can see new third party default camera, music, video, and browser apps!

Thoughts?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
nope, we devs are third parties. Nokia is an OEM and a second party and is valuable to Microsoft. hence the leeway, there have not been any new developments in windows phone or any rumors thant this might happen. Only OEMs might get special privileges.

I would really like a camera app which has more settings and faster switching.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
nope, we devs are third parties. Nokia is an OEM and a second party and is valuable to Microsoft. hence the leeway, there have not been any new developments in windows phone or any rumors thant this might happen. Only OEMs might get special privileges.

I would really like a camera app which has more settings and faster switching.
But I mean eventually is possible right? If they can do it for an installed app even from an OEM then it IS possible with a third party I would think. Few good example for me would be something like Proshot for camera and UC for browser and default music searches via Bing is Spotify etc. Of course it wouldn't be any app it would need to be specially approved by MS if they wanted to be a default option.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But I mean eventually is possible right? If they can do it for an installed app even from an OEM then it IS possible with a third party I would think. Few good example for me would be something like Proshot for camera and UC for browser and default music searches via Bing is Spotify etc. Of course it wouldn't be any app it would need to be specially approved by MS if they wanted to be a default option.

Anything is possible. All the restrictions in place are due to OS limitations rather than devs wanting to do it. MS has decided to limit what can be done. For some people this is a good thing, to others it seems overly paranoid. Just depends where you came from and what you think WP should be. However I wouldn't keep holding that view as you'll become disappointed over time. Just accept that WP is a MS device, they'll do what they want and until a good jailbreak happens and custom ROMs become available (that's if you trust that kind of thing) I wouldn't hold my breath in getting what you want 100%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6