Close or stop apps on WindowsPhone 8

gnargh

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there [me no native speaker no hurt me plies!],

first of all I think I have to state I readed a lot of threads about Apps behaviour etc. and the conclusion ist, stopping apps works only in pressing serveralhundredthousandstimes the "Back-Button".. so far I?m fine with it, it?s complicated but if you have to use a workaround like this.. you have to do it..
Next is, I really can see why there is no File-Manager for the whole FileSystem, ecurity issues etc. I can live with it, I?ll just dont use any of the folders which are here, and stick everything in my own, so I can Explore my Files on my SD-Card with an App (The files on my phone guess wont be exploreable at all even my own folders?).

So I have two workarounds and have a nice working phone right now, but here comes a problem now, the Music App.

It works so far and I can put my music via Explorer on my Phone etc. but if I start listening too it I maybe realise hum.. wrong Album.. So I decided to delete the music again via my Explorer and here comes (finally) my problem. I can't delete the music/album which was last played, somehow it seems the WindowsPhone still is in use of my last played file and so I cant delete.
As I cant stop the Music-App myself, because I have no idea how to stop a App that's not even listet in "Background-App" or anywhere.. I?m ****ed?!

As a workaround I need to put new music on my Device, then go to the Musi-App, play one of the new songs, back to Explorer, and then I can finally delete the wrong Album I put on my Device on the first term? Or is there a possibility I?m missing out right now?

(To everyone stating "there is no need in closing apps" or "a normal user don't need anything like a proper FileExplorer" please explain me how you handle this things?!)

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am on my phone so can't edit your post but please remove your last bit in brackets. Keep your posts on WPCentral civil please.

Also for your problem, download an app called "Stop the Music!"

gnargh

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
edited.. :angel:

So it all feels like IPhone and Android again, "your system is not capable of that, but there was and student who came up with an idea and did the work we should have done" aka. "Theres an App for that".
Don't get me wrong, there are some great Apps out, but I don't get why everything have too be done with an extra App.. I just thougt I might be able too just have a nice smooth device and use it like I should be able too use it.. If everyday tasks must be solved by an extra app I'll have 5000 Apps soon and surely forget about App #3139 which one was needed in order to get new Music on my phone or change something in my folder organization..

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

So it all feels like IPhone and Android again, "your system is not capable of that, but there was and student who came up with an idea and did the work we should have done" aka. "Theres an App for that".
Don't get me wrong, there are some great Apps out, but I don't get why everything have too be done with an extra App.. I just thougt I might be able too just have a nice smooth device and use it like I should be able too use it.. If everyday tasks must be solved by an extra app I'll have 5000 Apps soon and surely forget about App #3139 which one was needed in order to get new Music on my phone or change something in my folder organization..

This is how smart phones work, by providing applications to carry out various tasks. If you expect to have absolutely every feature built in to the OS then you would end up with a massive bloatware of an OS which would only serve to slow the phone down to a crawl. Surely it's not that much of a chore to install a few apps?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Apps give choices. What you think is a must have may not be my must have. I am all in for basic features must be integrated into an OS but there has to be differentiation. I rather have to choose from 10 apps that provide additional features than to have 9 unwanted features that I need to turn off or on based on my very less frequent needs.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That's what i think: If u need a mini PC, Windows Phone is not a good choice. But if u need a smartphone, Windows Phone might be a good choice.

Close apps are almost useless if u have a OS with a good memory management and think this is only a smartphone. Just like we have here. No need to close any app at all. That's the message from Microsoft since the begin.

File Explorer is also not necessary for a smartphone user. But I really understand some people need that. Windows Phone have a very different smartphone concept if u compare with Android, for example. Not better or worse. Just different. This also explain the lack of a Notification Center. Just useless in WP concept, in my opinion. Completely useless.

But one thing I have to agree. There's a bug wich doens't allow delete last played song. So I restart my smartphone so solve this little bug.

nelu1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You have no right at all.
When you have a 32GB SD card, you can manage your files directly to the phone without using a PC, you can not wear it in your pocket.
It's stupid idea that a file manager is not helpful. From this point of view is superior to Windows Mobile 6.0 Windows Phone 8.
Also, a task manager would be useful. It's totally annoying situation where you want at a time to stop music player, and he would sing that stupid to give him pause.
Because of the bad ideas from Microsoft and others, Windows 8 is not successful. There are little things that some manufacturers even giants like MS, which do not take into account and therefore not successful. I consider that a file manager (explorer) and a handy option to stop an application is very useful.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
When you have a 32GB SD card, you can manage your files directly to the phone without using a PC, you can not wear it in your pocket.
It's stupid idea that a file manager is not helpful. From this point of view is superior to Windows Mobile 6.0 Windows Phone 8.
Also, a task manager would be useful. It's totally annoying situation where you want at a time to stop music player, and he would sing that stupid to give him pause.
Because of the bad ideas from Microsoft and others, Windows 8 is not successful. There are little things that some manufacturers even giants like MS, which do not take into account and therefore not successful. I consider that a file manager (explorer) and a handy option to stop an application is very useful.

There are plenty of apps available to stop the music player from running. So why else would you need a task manager on WP 8? Simple answer is, you don't because applications are automatically suspended when placed in the background apart from the music player but, as I've said, "there's an app for that".

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of apps available to stop the music player from running. So why else would you need a task manager on WP 8? Simple answer is, you don't because applications are automatically suspended when placed in the background apart from the music player but, as I've said, "there's an app for that".

Why should you need an app just to stop the music player, that is something I would put in the category 'basic OS features'.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Why should you need an app just to stop the music player, that is something I would put in the category 'basic OS features'.

Have you seriously never heard of the "Stop the music" app or any of several other apps that perform a similar function? They are primarily used for clearing the player controls of the last song played but can also be used to kill the music as well.

The basic OS feature would be to use the volume control to bring up the music player controls then hit the pause button to stop music playback. Simples.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Is this the only OS that needs this, cause sorry this sounds very stupid to me. So without this, the song never stops thus drains the battery, you just don't hear it? So if i'm gonna start listening to music this app is a must have?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
No. You dont have to use it. You can just stop playing the song.
The Stop The Music app just clears the songs from "now playing".
I have never used Stop The Music. I pause the song through the music player, and I have not experienced battery drain

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Is it affecting you in anyway if you pause or stop. Is it so irritating that you absolutely need to stop the song from playing. I mean it is not like you pause a song and can't do stuff on the phone.

The other issue regarding file explorer, I think I agree that a file manager might be useful since I got used to it on Android.

Microsoft is not successful? State the facts and stop writing absurd statements . I guess you should go lookup what consumer facing products and enterprise products are, check the profits and revenues and then we can talk.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone test the battery drain while a song is paused? Again, please state facts before writing. If you can prove it we all will accept it and this will prove that Microsoft needs to provide a stop button.

Use apps like Listen or other music players, they do have the most wanted stop button.

gdgates

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I assume the phone is like the Zone HD that it so closely resembles. Just pause the song and do something else. It does not drain the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99