"Other" storage getting out of control.

Ronny2756

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
My other storage has reached the 20GB milestone yet again, so looks like im gonna have to go threw the painful hard reset and spend days trying to get the gears screen working by repeatedly resetting it....Again. Does anyone know of an easier way... I guess once I reset I should never take a picture on my phone because of the glitch that it saves an extra picture in your other storage...but its such a shame having such a nice camera.. Theres got to be a better way, please tell me this fix is included in the "other improvements" in GDR2 so I can actually use my Lumia 920 for pictures.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Another post Microsoft don't do anything about this bug! Its a problem for you on your 920, its more damn problem for us budget users, i have a 4gb phone i have all the time no space as 1.55 is system and 1.33 is 'other'. Thank for sd card slot it can save my pictures there but i have to turn off the SkyDrive upload

Ronny2756

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow..20 gigs sounds insane! Try shrink storage or the storage cleaner app if you haven't already before resetting

Sadly that only deletes the temporary storage for apps, its only 214MB for me but my other storage is still 20GB because of the glitch where you take a picture and it saves a copy of it in your other storage where you cant delete it, at least thats what I heard in a WP central artical awhile ago.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well not sure how shrink storage works so may be you are right about the dup pic glitch. One thing that's weird is nokia storage cleaner shows 1.1gb as other but os shows 4.5gb. Not sure which one to believe

Ronny2756

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
This issue alone is almost making me think twice about moving to WP

When I wrote this thread switching to another OS didnt even come into my mind.. I wouldn't let this issue bother you while switching because eventually Microsoft is gonna have to fix it..i hope? I guess once you go windows phone you can't go back, at least for me, I love this OS.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Reset the phone and turn off auto upload pics on sky drive , dont load tonnes of photos like 5000+ or something.

Clear up IE history every week

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Reset the phone and turn off auto upload pics on sky drive , dont load tonnes of photos like 5000+ or something.

Clear up IE history every week

I have taken that route. Didnt fix a damn thing. IE history doesnt clear much. And what good does saving passwords in IE do when you just have to delete them when you clear the history? Storage shrink was useless.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
And its reasons like this why WP will always be third place. Google and Apple are constantly fixing bugs in their OS. Why is it taking Microsoft so long to fix this?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can manually clear the cache that fills up the other storage due to auto-uploads to skydrive.

You just need to move your auto-uploaded photos to another folder on your skydrive, and delete the original folder on your skydrive. When you go back to the photos hub on your windows phone, it will re-sync the skydrive auto-upload folder as a new empty folder. Once this has happened it should also have cleared all of the cache which was associated with that folder.

Worked wonders for me, clearing 5GB straight away.

More info at this link: Reducing the Ever-Growing Other Storage on Windows Phone | Pocketnow

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You can manually clear the cache that fills up the other storage due to auto-uploads to skydrive.

You just need to move your auto-uploaded photos to another folder on your skydrive, and delete the original folder on your skydrive. When you go back to the photos hub on your windows phone, it will re-sync the skydrive auto-upload folder as a new empty folder. Once this has happened it should also have cleared all of the cache which was associated with that folder.

More info at this link: Reducing the Ever-Growing Other Storage on Windows Phone | Pocketnow

Great info.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Be interesting to see if the OP did that what his would go down to.

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
So this is weird. I had over 1GB of Other storage on my Lumia 521 just last week. Today I have just over 570MB. The only thing I can think of that I've done that might account for this is syncing with the Windows Phone app on my Win8 laptop.

How often do you guys sync to a Win8 computer with the Windows Phone app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb