Lumia 925 - GMAIL and Google Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's hardly an ideal solution. This is one of those mindboggling things that I just don't understand how Microsoft doesn't get. Between this and the lack of ability to play .WAV files from voicemail services, there's just no way WP8 can hope to compete in the enterprise world.

I agree completely, but it works. GDR2 should allow for gmail to sync via push again. From what I hear EAS support is going to stay for business users and it's been extended again for other users :)

WereRat

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The thread seems to have mostly gone on about mail, so re: calendars:

Just go to your outlook.com (live.com) calendar and subscribe to the Google calendar(s) you want to include; you want the .ics address that's listed in Google Calendar under calendar details. Those push immediately to Outlook.com and thence to your phone.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So you want to use Google's FREE email service with ActiveSync, something which Google has to pay Microsoft for?
If MS really gave a damn about WP users they'd publicly give Google a free license for ActiveSync. Or make ActiveSync free. I don't see them doing that...

You don't really think it was a money thing, do you? Google has ActiveSync support built into their OS. They are already paying for it and I very much doubt they are paying per user/device.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a business account with google where you HAVE to use Google Calendar (in this case, ActiveSync is still available), I simply don't see why one should even bother with Google Calendar on WP8. Unlike GMail where obviously others need to send you email to that address, Calendar is the thing that you input and use all by yourself.
Actually, calendar is the one thing my family shares. My wife and I need to be able to see each other's schedule as well as for each of our four kids. The reason we moved to Google Apps, in the first place, was because of how easy it was to set up our custom domain and share calendars.

I've been trying to get my custom login changed for my Live account since January, but Microsoft has been less than helpful. I don't really expect top tier support for a free service, but I don't see what's so bloody hard about it.

South Bay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Its my understanding that if your Gmail account had the EAS syncing enabled prior to their policy change, that it would still be available. This means that for those of you who had this working on your Lumia 920, or who have a Gmail business address, you should be able to just set the account up as you would say an exchange account.

It will fail to find your settings the first and second time you say next, but on the third you get a notice saying try again or 'advanced'. Pick advanced, make sure your username matches your mail address, and the use m.google.com as the server.

This this it should happily add the account and you'll still happily get all the EAS goodness you had before.

Google is no longer allowing users to enable EAS, but if you had it configured before or you have a paid account you can still use it.

Just means you have to do a tiny bit of configuration to get it added to your device, but even in this case its still a fairly easy and straight forwarded operation.

Personally when they announced the changes I jumped ship to Outlook.com and been loving it. But have tested now if adding Gmail accounts like an exchange account works. It does, so if your account was setup for EAS, then you can still enjoy it on your WP device!

Hey, I don't know what everyone thinks, but your suggestion is spot on and worked like a charm. I just got my brand new Lumia 1520 today, followed your instructions and bam! Worked like a charm! Gmail downloading as items arrive. Awesome and giga-thanks for your post!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, calendar is the one thing my family shares. My wife and I need to be able to see each other's schedule as well as for each of our four kids. The reason we moved to Google Apps, in the first place, was because of how easy it was to set up our custom domain and share calendars.

I've been trying to get my custom login changed for my Live account since January, but Microsoft has been less than helpful. I don't really expect top tier support for a free service, but I don't see what's so bloody hard about it.

I know your reply was from a few months ago. My wife and I use our family room calendar set up via Windows Phone. Works great!

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

How about exporting the shared calendar from Google as an ics file and if you're all using Windows Phones then why not setup the Family Room and import that ics file into the family room calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss