01-06-2014 04:33 PM
78 1234
tools
    "Lot of rumors are going around web that , due to failure of Metro , to capture commercial success , WP9 may be built from scratch in terms of "design"."

Post the links or I call BS!
    DavidinCT likes this.
    07-17-2013 02:27 PM
    Getting back to the point , Some people may point out that "WP8 and all future versions will run NT kernel , so WP8 will get the update" but as the past pointed out , 6.5 devices were not upgraded to WP7 (both 6.5 and 7 are CE kernel)
    You're missing a big point. In the transition from Windows Mobile to WP7 Microsoft came out with design requirements on what the minimum features each handset needed to have and things like what navigation buttons needed to be on the device. WM 6.x had nothing like that and none of them would have met those requirements just on the capacitive touch navigation buttons alone. While it possible from a hardware internals standpoint that they might have been able to run WP7, from an external design standpoint MS said no.
    07-17-2013 02:49 PM
    You're missing a big point. In the transition from Windows Mobile to WP7 Microsoft came out with design requirements on what the minimum features each handset needed to have and things like what navigation buttons needed to be on the device. WM 6.x had nothing like that and none of them would have met those requirements just on the capacitive touch navigation buttons alone. While it possible from a hardware internals standpoint that they might have been able to run WP7, from an external design standpoint MS said no.
    Which is exactly true if rumors are correct.

Change from WP8 to WP9 mainly focused on changing UI and design which means from design point of view , They may alter external designs and requirements as well.(Its possible or not possible 50-50 chance)

Here also there won't be kernel change.

So basically , Its impossible to say WP9 is for sure or WP8 is stuck with 8.
    07-17-2013 02:55 PM
    Actually, Win 8 is the first OS iteration to have lower hardware requirements than its predecessor.
    That may be, but I can tell you that with the hardware I had for Vista, Win7 ran smoother, faster and better. Perhaps it just made better use of it. I'll take that, thanks very much.
    07-17-2013 02:55 PM
    MS made one mistake with Metro for desktops. They should have released an equivalent to the Logitech T650 and pushed it heavily with Win8. They should have just sold them together in one box. It is true that without a touch device, Win8 is a shadow of what it should be and touch screens are never going to take off on desktops. Add a Logitech T650 though and it transforms.
    Was just looking at the gestures supported by the Logitech T650 and the touch pad on my laptop does all of them.
    07-17-2013 03:02 PM
    realistically by the time WP9 is released ill want a new phone...2-3 years from now my L920 will be outdated HW wise anyway. Im just happy the supported got extended to 36 months.
    07-17-2013 03:04 PM
    That may be, but I can tell you that with the hardware I had for Vista, Win7 ran smoother, faster and better. Perhaps it just made better use of it. I'll take that, thanks very much.
    That's exactly the point. Win8 requires less, so it runs better on the same hardware.
    Narr likes this.
    07-17-2013 03:12 PM
    Oh look its this thread again!

Derp wp is dead, Derp, wp7 wasn't upgraded to wp8 Derp that means wp8 wont get wp9 Derp.

I remember these threads back in the android doughnut days.

Derp Android is dead, the g1 isn't getting android 1.6 Derp. Google have lost the smartphone battle. They don't care or support.....blah blah blah.

They were stupid back then too.
    07-17-2013 03:13 PM
    The failure of WP8 is marketing and perception , not technology. If MS needs to reboot/redesign WP every two years, it might as well bail the entire mobile market right now. If you think WP8 has less apps than other platforms, what you do you think a new OS will fair. It will have zero app and zero market share and will take another two years of time to catch up with the current WP8.

BTW, Logitech T650 is more capable than your laptop touch pad. The edge gestures are more precise.
    07-17-2013 03:15 PM
    but margins/profits are nowhere near Apple or Samsung.
    MTS praises Windows Phone, says it's more comfortable promoting Microsoft than iPhone | Windows Phone Central

Seems the Russians would argue this point. I saw an article about South American carriers shifting from Apple for the same reason, but I can't find it now.

I would say your argument for Apple being more profitable are not necessarily correct.
    07-17-2013 03:32 PM
    MTS praises Windows Phone, says it's more comfortable promoting Microsoft than iPhone | Windows Phone Central

Seems the Russians would argue this point. I saw an article about South American carriers shifting from Apple for the same reason, but I can't find it now.

I would say your argument for Apple being more profitable are not necessarily correct.
    It is definitely more profitable for Apple, not so much for carriers. Two different things. The problem with WP8 is that it still can't penetrate the market. Being consistently at single digit market share position will never propel WP into main stream, even if MS release WP3000 tomorrow.
    07-17-2013 03:53 PM
    It takes time to get into a dominated market. But it's Microsoft we are talking about here, which mean it's only a matter of time and who has more money. Windows phone 8 is starting to pick up awareness.
    07-17-2013 04:38 PM
    This whole thread is stupid because it's based on the OP's "Metro has failed" remark.

Really? Then why are Apple and Google doing exactly the same? iOS is practically a ******* child of Android and WP.
    07-17-2013 04:57 PM
    I didn't even respond to the metro has failed statement because how do you respond to something that is so obviously wrong? There's just no discussion to be had as the metro or modern UI is what makes the OS look better than all others and like the person above stated, why would apple and google copy?
    07-17-2013 05:02 PM
    Okay...... Here is where I do my civic duty for WPC and WP users.

At the apex of WP7 (the Nokia 900, Titan 2 LTE releases worldwide), I was beating the drum HARD that with the stupid exception of not including dual core processors, there was no way MS would not support WP7 devices and not update them. Seriously, how could they possibly spend 2 years rebranding their mobile line and not support them? I even went as far as promising to drive to St. Louis and buy another poster on "Phone Arena" a beer if they didn't.

I believed, I was sure, I was confident.

I was also completely wrong. Oops, my bad, fellow WP7 users.

So, from here on out, when one of these threads show up, I will put the "Snowmutt jinx" on this by insisting we WON'T get WP9 on WP8 devices. Therefore, we will be sure it will happen.

No need to thank me..... I owe everyone this after last time.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-17-2013 05:41 PM
    ^ lol

I was in the exact opposite position. Already in 2011 I was telling people that WP7 hardware wasn't going to get WP8.

All I'm saying now is that I am 100% unsure if all WP8 hardware will get WP9 (which is still a long long long ways off). IMHO it doesn't matter either way.
    07-17-2013 06:06 PM
    I cannot see how a total redesign can make Wp8 obsolete. It's not like the Kernel is getting upgraded which I doubt very much.
    07-17-2013 06:10 PM
    I cannot see how a total redesign can make Wp8 obsolete. It's not like the Kernel is getting upgraded which I doubt very much.
    That the kernel had anything to do with that issue is a popular idea, but it is also complete BS. Microsoft never stated any such thing, but I'm sure leaving that rumour undisputed was easier than offering a real explanation.

If hackers could get WP8 to run on WP7 hardware, then so could Microsoft. Technical problems are solvable. What held Microsoft back from doing so were (amongst other things that had nothing to do with the kernel) certainly also economic concerns.
    07-17-2013 06:17 PM
    Yes they do. But its a long way off so why speculate?
    07-17-2013 07:16 PM
    Okay...... Here is where I do my civic duty for WPC and WP users.

At the apex of WP7 (the Nokia 900, Titan 2 LTE releases worldwide), I was beating the drum HARD that with the stupid exception of not including dual core processors, there was no way MS would not support WP7 devices and not update them. Seriously, how could they possibly spend 2 years rebranding their mobile line and not support them? I even went as far as promising to drive to St. Louis and buy another poster on "Phone Arena" a beer if they didn't.

I believed, I was sure, I was confident.

I was also completely wrong. Oops, my bad, fellow WP7 users.

So, from here on out, when one of these threads show up, I will put the "Snowmutt jinx" on this by insisting we WON'T get WP9 on WP8 devices. Therefore, we will be sure it will happen.

No need to thank me..... I owe everyone this after last time.
    Odd, I knew from day one it wouldn't be upgraded. WP7 was built on a core that was outdated literally a couple months after WP7 was released.
    07-17-2013 07:33 PM
    When windows phone 9 even comes out we will most likely be o to bigger and better phones than the current crop, so I say who cares of current phones don't get some future update that is so far away........if you thought this way , advice would be to never buy anything.........besides we get 36 months of support and updates now........the generational change was made with wp8 and its only just beginning.
    07-17-2013 07:42 PM
    This whole thread is stupid because it's based on the OP's "Metro has failed" remark.

Really? Then why are Apple and Google doing exactly the same? iOS is practically a ******* child of Android and WP.
    Metro is commercially a failure.

There is difference between failing commercially and a failure due to flaws.

Metro is not flawed but somehow majority of population doesnt like it.

Reason ? Failed to understand people's mindset.

It failed in enterprise market.

Flat design is not equal to metro but metro is equal to flat design.

iOS and Android went to flat design ( I am sure that MS or Apple didnt invent squares or rectangles) but not necessarily metro.
    07-17-2013 10:27 PM
    Lot of rumors are going around web that , due to failure of Metro , to capture commercial success , WP9 may be built from scratch in terms of "design".
    Unlikely. With a brand new product you of course start from scratch but once you've decided on a path it's usually a good idea to stick with it and incrementally improve it rather than throwing the whole lot away every couple of years.

Microsoft are clearly hedging their bets on Metro. They're using it in the phones, the desktop OS, the surface tablets and increasingly in the xbox. I think anyone expecting a "new" design in any "WP9" OS are in for a disappointment.

I don't think it's a bad way to go either. As more people begin using it (as they upgrade off Windows 7 or buy the new xbox when it arrives) it'll become "more mainstream". Metro is clean, simple and generally pretty smooth and intuitive. It gets out of the way. I've used Android in the past and for me Metro is far superior to interact with. Earlier this evening my wife asked me to take a few photos on my phone and email them to her. I commented to her how quick and easy it was to open mail, choose which account I wanted, type in 2 characters from her address, quickly attach and send. Took literally 10 seconds start to finish. I expect it's identical on all other WP8 devices. That's what people want - quick and simple. With Android you're at the mercy of the phone manufacturer - they all put their own stamp on it (besides the nexus phones which are "pure") and the process can be drastically different.

We all know iOS is ridiculous with it's faux leather and gradients all over the place. They're trying to fix it with iOS7 but made a mess of it in beta...what an awful looking OS that is.
    Last edited by awkm; 07-17-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Laura Knotek and cckgz4 like this.
    07-17-2013 10:42 PM
    Failed? Bb10 FAILED, HP touchpad FAILED, Sega CD FAILED, Playbook has CONTINUOUSLY FAILED....

Wp8....not so much
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-17-2013 10:51 PM
    WP8 uses the NT kernel, it will be most likely that future major updates will be made under the NT kernel.
    07-18-2013 01:05 AM
78 1234