Do WP8 Devices get WP9 ? (I think No)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Lot of rumors are going around web that , due to failure of Metro , to capture commercial success , WP9 may be built from scratch in terms of "design".

Lets be serious , WP8 is not really doing well compared to iOS or Android.Yes its the fastest growing platform and also has high consumer satisfaction rates trailing behind iOS but margins/profits are nowhere near Apple or Samsung.

Getting back to the point , Some people may point out that "WP8 and all future versions will run NT kernel , so WP8 will get the update" but as the past pointed out , 6.5 devices were not upgraded to WP7 (both 6.5 and 7 are CE kernel)

I am not saying WP will be incompatible but like last time they would say "Its not worth upgrading current devices because of old hardware or x y z"

I think we will get two big updates to WP8 devices just like how 7.5/7.8 came to WP7 devices.

Last edited:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Until we actually get closer to WP9 with definitive information, anything is purely speculation. Either side can make a case at this point.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
we can just wait and see what MS has in store for us. But one thing is for sure...if MS ditches current WP8 users they are gonna loose high numbers of consumer which is bad for them !!

But i think they wont as they have already got a lot of criticism from WP7 users.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As I posted not even a week ago on these forums:

A few sources:
Windows Phone 8 support to end in July 2014 but users will be able to upgrade | NDTV Gadgets
Windows Phone 8 upgrade is guaranteed, Microsoft confirms | BGR
Microsoft: 'Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable'

A notable tweet from @windowsphone:

"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...no. It's been said numerous times that WP7's un-upgradability will not be repeated with WP8 (which the poster above me has kindly provided citations for, thank you), and as for a complete aesthetic overhaul-- really, what would that do? Barring some needed adjustments we'll probably get with Blue (notifications and such), the system works fine. Why fix what's not broken?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Failure of metro? Metro failed? Why didn't I know about this??? This is nothing more than FUD from those who don't like the idea of change, and therefore haven't adopted it. YET. They will. They won't have a choice. This is the direction the world is heading. Three screens from Microsoft, and with Windows being on billions of computers, it will be unavoidable. Beside that, it's the right direction to go. There will always be people who inject FUD into the scene when change happens. This is nothing different. No one wanted Vista, either. But to the untrained eye, it's not much different from 7, which was widely adopted.

Correct. iOS trails behind WP8 in customer satisfaction. As Android trails behind iOS. Mobile Operating Systems - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Smartphones and Mobile Carriers | PCMag.com

The comparison of 6.5 to 7 is not a very good one. Yes, both were CE kernel, but hardware just wasn't there on the 6.5 devices. Resistive screen... Yes, someone got it working on the HD2, but still, the experience wasn't the same. I'm guessing that they just didn't feel that it was worth the effort to make a version for each WM device out there. Another thing is that the screen resolutions were several, and unless the HD2 had 480x800, which I don't know, but is possible, there weren't any that met even the resolution requirement. I'm thinking the HD2 must have had it, since it worked on that phone. There's also the issue of none of them having the three "required" hardware keys, or the dedicated two-step camera button (not all have it now, but with WP7 this was required). Just because it worked on an HD2, that doesn't mean someone didn't have to modify it to make it work. My point is that it wasn't worth the effort to make it work on the older phones. I had a Touch Pro 2, and it certainly would not have given me as good an experience as Trophy did.

At this point the hardware is there to run future updates using the NT kernel, so there's no reason that these phones woulnd't upgrade.

Oh, yeah - and MS has said so.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
we can just wait and see what MS has in store for us. But one thing is for sure...if MS ditches current WP8 users they are gonna loose high numbers of consumer which is bad for them !!

But i think they wont as they have already got a lot of criticism from WP7 users.

Google has only be releasing Android 4.x since 2011.

4.0 , 4.1 , 4.2 etc.

WP7 stayed for 2010-2012 and supported till 2014 (7.8)

I think WP9 may arrive like 2015 or 2016 , until then MS may stick to 8.x updates.

We will get very minor updates but more in quantity (like MS support page pointed out) but WP9 may not come to us (which is my assumption)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes.

Failure of metro? Metro failed? Why didn't I know about this??? This is nothing more than FUD from those who don't like the idea of change, and therefore haven't adopted it. YET. They will. They won't have a choice. This is the direction the world is heading. Three screens from Microsoft, and with Windows being on billions of computers, it will be unavoidable. Beside that, it's the right direction to go. There will always be people who inject FUD into the scene when change happens. This is nothing different. No one wanted Vista, either. But to the untrained eye, it's not much different from 7, which was widely adopted.

Correct. iOS trails behind WP8 in customer satisfaction. As Android trails behind iOS. Mobile Operating Systems - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Smartphones and Mobile Carriers | PCMag.com

The comparison of 6.5 to 7 is not a very good one. Yes, both were CE kernel, but hardware just wasn't there on the 6.5 devices. Resistive screen... Yes, someone got it working on the HD2, but still, the experience wasn't the same. I'm guessing that they just didn't feel that it was worth the effort to make a version for each WM device out there. Another thing is that the screen resolutions were several, and unless the HD2 had 480x800, which I don't know, but is possible, there weren't any that met even the resolution requirement. I'm thinking the HD2 must have had it, since it worked on that phone. There's also the issue of none of them having the three "required" hardware keys, or the dedicated two-step camera button (not all have it now, but with WP7 this was required). Just because it worked on an HD2, that doesn't mean someone didn't have to modify it to make it work. My point is that it wasn't worth the effort to make it work on the older phones. I had a Touch Pro 2, and it certainly would not have given me as good an experience as Trophy did.

At this point the hardware is there to run future updates using the NT kernel, so there's no reason that these phones woulnd't upgrade.

Oh, yeah - and MS has said so.

Just because a bunch of surveys said customer satisfaction is more doesn't suddenly gives WP an edge.

Apple's customer satisfaction rates are highly respectable (example In J.D Power , Nokia is second behind Apple).

When I Say Macbooks have Industry leading Customer Satisfaction.
MS Fans say "because number of macs are very less they have higher satisfaction rates" and I can use same argument for WP8 Vs iPhone.

I said Metro is not a commercial success , I didn't say that metro is bad or people didn't like it.

Last edited:

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I think you misunderstood me.

Did I say WP8 is not upgradeable ? No , I said WP8 will be upgraded to newer 8.x versions like Blue in future which will be big update but I am assuming WP9 will not be coming to WP8 devices.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just because a bunch of surveys said customer satisfaction is more doesn't suddenly gives WP an edge.

Apple's customer satisfaction rates are highly respectable (example In J.D Power , Nokia is second behind Apple).

When I Say Macbooks also have Industry leading Customer Satisfaction.
MS Fans say "because number of macs are very less they have higher satisfaction rates" and I can use same argument for WP8 Vs iPhone.

I said Metro is not a commercial success , I didn't say that metro is bad or people didn't like it.

Wow, way to put words into my mouth. I cited one survey, and didn't say a word about WP suddenly getting an edge.

Lighten up, Francis.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, way to put words into my mouth. I cited one survey, and didn't say a word about WP suddenly getting an edge.

Lighten up, Francis.

I was saying that the source of survey is not as good as J D Power.

Show me an industry standard customer satisfaction survey , I will clearly agree with you about :
"iOS trailing behind WP8" (which you said before)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
One survey is no better or worse than another (given respectable names), and PC Magazine is a respectable name. One isn't any better than another. You're going to see varying answers, because of course different people answered the questions asked.

Commercial success? Hmmm.... Many companies are still ramping up to Win7, so I guess we can't really call it a complete success yet, can we? But that means we're years off from calling Metro a failure, too.

But to answer your original question, Yes, WP 8 devices will get WP 9.

Again, Lighten up, Francis.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It would be a mistake for Microsoft to scrap WP8 and start again with WP9 just as market share is beginning to pick up. The UI and style they have currently is perfect, it just needs refining, not a redesign.

I will be severely disappointed if WP8 devices cannot update to WP9. Then again who knows when WP9 will be released. I reckon we will have quite a few 8.x updates before then.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It appears as they are entering the Apple way of doing things (which I actually prefer). I am sure we'll get modified versions of updates for older handsets. Kind of like how the iPhone 4 got the OS update but didn't officially support Siri, etc.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It appears as they are entering the Apple way of doing things (which I actually prefer). I am sure we'll get modified versions of updates for older handsets. Kind of like how the iPhone 4 got the OS update but didn't officially support Siri, etc.

My Thoughts Exactly but Instead of calling it directly as "WP9" , MS would be calling it WP8.x

Apple says iOS 7 runs on 4S and 4 but many features are missing in 4.

This how consumers react :
If MS gives WP9 for real , people would be like "My Phone is no longer fluid" or "terrible battery life" or "update crippled my device" etc.
If MS doesn't give WP9 , people would be like "MS is ****" or "Its bad idea" or "MS did it again"

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
OP, that's nonsense.

WP8 is already using the NT kernel. Even more, both Windows 8 and WP8 use the same CoreCLR which is the environment in which apps run. Both implement DirectX for games. WP8 added WinPRT which is the Windows Phone subset of the WinRT API.

WP8 is very close of being just a variant of Windows 8 with an interface optimized for the phone, Windows 8.1 is probably even closer.

The rumor you are commenting comes from the guy that said Tizen was dead and the next week Intel and Samsung put 4 million over the table to bring apps for the dead.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
@windowsphone said:
"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched.":

I love this, I really do. LOL

1. Who acutally thinks your phone will be so great 2-3 years from now ? How long did you acutally hold on to your last phone (I know about about a year before I get the itch for a new phone)?

Even that brand new 928 or 1080, is great now but, 12 months down the line, it's old news, this tech moves WAY too quick. Just think about that old 7.8 device you had, would you actually want to put WP8 on it knowing that it wont run 1/2 the games and the perfomance would be so so unless you stripped it down ?

2. Then Windows Phone "9" comes out, great, but, Will your carrier support the upgrade on a 2- 2 1/2 year old phone ? Do you really think so ? LOL

All I hope, is that the experts over XDA find a hack for Windows Phone 8, so we can do custom roms again, this will almost give a 95% that your phone WILL be upgradeable to Windows Phone 9+. If you have to depend on Microsoft or your carriers to support you 2-3 down the line, I got bad news for ya.... Look at all the 2 year old flagship android devices...on Android 2.3....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo