Do WP8 Devices get WP9 ? (I think No)

Status
Not open for further replies.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick comment on something that struck me in the original post.

Failure of Metro?

Am I the only one who looks at Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 after using Windows 8 and feel that the preceding OS's look ancient now? Or that other phones look ancient after using a WP? I hardly think Metro is a failure.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick comment on something that struck me in the original post.

Failure of Metro?

Am I the only one who looks at Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 after using Windows 8 and feel that the preceding OS's look ancient now? Or that other phones look ancient after using a WP? I hardly think Metro is a failure.

Not saying Metro is a failure but, Windows 7 is more than fine for me(and a lot of people) on a desktop and it does not look ancient. I tried Windows 8/Metro with a keyboard and mouse, it s.u.c.k.s. I have a Samsung Slate 7 tablet with Windows 8 and it's awsome... So, tablet yes, Keybord and mouse, NO WAY.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I built a PC in the Vista days. Since then it's had Win7 and now Win8 and it runs better than ever. Why do people think a new OS needs more powerful hardware to run it? It's an OS, not the latest FPS shooter. My bet is that WP9 will run better on our current devices than WP8 does. If not, what's the point of releasing it?

MS made one mistake with Metro for desktops. They should have released an equivalent to the Logitech T650 and pushed it heavily with Win8. They should have just sold them together in one box. It is true that without a touch device, Win8 is a shadow of what it should be and touch screens are never going to take off on desktops. Add a Logitech T650 though and it transforms.

When WP can finally run the same apps as the other Windows skus it could well boost sales across the form factors as people realise why they want to have it on all their devices. Why would MS say no to that? Well, they wouldn't. Hence the vocal commitment. It's a commitment to money, which MS will be finding quite easy to stand behind. Nokia, not so much. Less handset sales for them. I'm betting MS has the whip hand with this one though, aren't you?

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Metro (or should we call it Modern? Or Flat UI) failed?

Now that's what I didn't know... Thought that other OSs're going to use flat UI.

Well, but this or that way, I don't care! This is just a phone, just 1-2 years and I'll change it anyway (even within months if I want to, thanks to unsubsidized system). What's the matter with worrying about sci-fi future? Using the older OS than others doesn't mean you cannot live anymore TBH.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"Lot of rumors are going around web that , due to failure of Metro , to capture commercial success , WP9 may be built from scratch in terms of "design"."

Post the links or I call BS!

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Getting back to the point , Some people may point out that "WP8 and all future versions will run NT kernel , so WP8 will get the update" but as the past pointed out , 6.5 devices were not upgraded to WP7 (both 6.5 and 7 are CE kernel)

You're missing a big point. In the transition from Windows Mobile to WP7 Microsoft came out with design requirements on what the minimum features each handset needed to have and things like what navigation buttons needed to be on the device. WM 6.x had nothing like that and none of them would have met those requirements just on the capacitive touch navigation buttons alone. While it possible from a hardware internals standpoint that they might have been able to run WP7, from an external design standpoint MS said no.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
You're missing a big point. In the transition from Windows Mobile to WP7 Microsoft came out with design requirements on what the minimum features each handset needed to have and things like what navigation buttons needed to be on the device. WM 6.x had nothing like that and none of them would have met those requirements just on the capacitive touch navigation buttons alone. While it possible from a hardware internals standpoint that they might have been able to run WP7, from an external design standpoint MS said no.

Which is exactly true if rumors are correct.

Change from WP8 to WP9 mainly focused on changing UI and design which means from design point of view , They may alter external designs and requirements as well.(Its possible or not possible 50-50 chance)

Here also there won't be kernel change.

So basically , Its impossible to say WP9 is for sure or WP8 is stuck with 8.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually, Win 8 is the first OS iteration to have lower hardware requirements than its predecessor.

That may be, but I can tell you that with the hardware I had for Vista, Win7 ran smoother, faster and better. Perhaps it just made better use of it. I'll take that, thanks very much.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
MS made one mistake with Metro for desktops. They should have released an equivalent to the Logitech T650 and pushed it heavily with Win8. They should have just sold them together in one box. It is true that without a touch device, Win8 is a shadow of what it should be and touch screens are never going to take off on desktops. Add a Logitech T650 though and it transforms.

Was just looking at the gestures supported by the Logitech T650 and the touch pad on my laptop does all of them.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
realistically by the time WP9 is released ill want a new phone...2-3 years from now my L920 will be outdated HW wise anyway. Im just happy the supported got extended to 36 months.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That may be, but I can tell you that with the hardware I had for Vista, Win7 ran smoother, faster and better. Perhaps it just made better use of it. I'll take that, thanks very much.
That's exactly the point. Win8 requires less, so it runs better on the same hardware.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh look its this thread again!

Derp wp is dead, Derp, wp7 wasn't upgraded to wp8 Derp that means wp8 wont get wp9 Derp.

I remember these threads back in the android doughnut days.

Derp Android is dead, the g1 isn't getting android 1.6 Derp. Google have lost the smartphone battle. They don't care or support.....blah blah blah.

They were stupid back then too.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The failure of WP8 is marketing and perception , not technology. If MS needs to reboot/redesign WP every two years, it might as well bail the entire mobile market right now. If you think WP8 has less apps than other platforms, what you do you think a new OS will fair. It will have zero app and zero market share and will take another two years of time to catch up with the current WP8.

BTW, Logitech T650 is more capable than your laptop touch pad. The edge gestures are more precise.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
MTS praises Windows Phone, says it's more comfortable promoting Microsoft than iPhone | Windows Phone Central

Seems the Russians would argue this point. I saw an article about South American carriers shifting from Apple for the same reason, but I can't find it now.

I would say your argument for Apple being more profitable are not necessarily correct.

It is definitely more profitable for Apple, not so much for carriers. Two different things. The problem with WP8 is that it still can't penetrate the market. Being consistently at single digit market share position will never propel WP into main stream, even if MS release WP3000 tomorrow.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It takes time to get into a dominated market. But it's Microsoft we are talking about here, which mean it's only a matter of time and who has more money. Windows phone 8 is starting to pick up awareness.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This whole thread is stupid because it's based on the OP's "Metro has failed" remark.

Really? Then why are Apple and Google doing exactly the same? iOS is practically a ******* child of Android and WP.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even respond to the metro has failed statement because how do you respond to something that is so obviously wrong? There's just no discussion to be had as the metro or modern UI is what makes the OS look better than all others and like the person above stated, why would apple and google copy?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay...... Here is where I do my civic duty for WPC and WP users.

At the apex of WP7 (the Nokia 900, Titan 2 LTE releases worldwide), I was beating the drum HARD that with the stupid exception of not including dual core processors, there was no way MS would not support WP7 devices and not update them. Seriously, how could they possibly spend 2 years rebranding their mobile line and not support them? I even went as far as promising to drive to St. Louis and buy another poster on "Phone Arena" a beer if they didn't.

I believed, I was sure, I was confident.

I was also completely wrong. Oops, my bad, fellow WP7 users.

So, from here on out, when one of these threads show up, I will put the "Snowmutt jinx" on this by insisting we WON'T get WP9 on WP8 devices. Therefore, we will be sure it will happen.

No need to thank me..... I owe everyone this after last time. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel