Why do people complain that things aren't free?

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Every game I want I check reviews. It never fails but there are always people that are amazed of the game but because it's not free it gets one star. Are Americans really that shallow that a game is bad if they don't get it for free? I wish that person would be asked to work without getting paid, bet ya they would flip out, yet it's ok if it's another person who works for free as long as it's not them. It's embarrassing to me as a human of how selfish people really are. You want something, you buy it. You don't want to buy it then it doesn't belong to you and make it yourself... Wait you can't code? Then don't complain when someone does the coding for you because you can't or don't want to, and offers to sell you the game at such a low price. What's worse is when people do this over a $.99 game... Just wow

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a problem because often things are free (even though show ads) so when it comes to paying for an app they go nuts. I agree though that is doesn't make sense to give it a poor rating because it isn't free. If don't want to buy it that's fine, use a free version of it or something else, but don't rate it poorly only based on having to purchase it. I have been purchasing more and more apps lately because I get sick of the ads in my way, plus I like to support the developer who made an app I enjoy.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a problem because often things are free (even though show ads) so when it comes to paying for an app they go nuts. I agree though that is doesn't make sense to give it a poor rating because it isn't free. If don't want to buy it that's fine, use a free version of it or something else, but don't rate it poorly only based on having to purchase it. I have been purchasing more and more apps lately because I get sick of the ads in my way, plus I like to support the developer who made an app I enjoy.
Exactly how I feel. I go out of my to avoid apps with advertising because it just bugs the hell out of me. But I have no problem paying for an app if I like and use it. Devs have to make money or they won't keep producing apps. Seems pretty simple.

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey Danj210, great post. Have only recently thought about creating a similar thread.
I totally agree with what you’re saying. I find it frustrating that people will complain about spending 99c on an app that even they admit would find useful and get good use out of, but have no reservations about spending $1 to upsize their coffee.

I have 5 apps on the WP store and each one of my apps has taken me a lot of time and effort to get right. Some of my apps feature the use of third party controls which cost money to buy and as a developer I feel that charging a small fee for my apps helps me cover at least the cost incurred to purchase the controls used in the apps I have published. I’m not concerned about the time and effort as I love developing apps for WP.

If we get people to think of it another way, there is an expectation that if you get an electrician over to fix your lights, that you will incur the cost of their time and any materials they use for the job. It’s a bit like that for developing an app, it takes time and sometimes a bit of money too, and I think it is very reasonable to charge a small fee for the apps to support the development.

‘Sekya’ post says it as it is. We don’t expect to pay for apps, for example Facebook as it provides a way to use their service. Facebook doesn’t make money of selling the app, but the service the app provides. It seems to me that people then think that this app model works the same way for all other apps.

It’s a shame as sometimes I feel a little discouraged about continuing to make improvements and adding more features to my apps which potentially cost me more money, when so far I am not getting enough return to make up for the cost I put into making the app in the first place. The things that keeps me going is my positive attitude and belief that something good will come of it eventually. I love WP and love developing the apps for it, just hope that one day I get a return to cover my costs.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The reviews never cease to amaze with the level of moronic activity. People want...nay "feel entitled" to....every app being FREE + AMAZING + NO ADS or they freak out. I'll even throw in my other pet peeve - the use of the word "useless". If an app is missing a feature they call it "useless". If they were reviewing chemotherapy, they'd say "sure, it kills the cancer, but it makes my hair fall out so it's basically useless". They hyperbole and drama from these non-contributors is on a level that I'm not equipped to deal with. I'm shocked that anyone who reads reviews would ever want to develop for this crowd of whiners after they read reviews. You seriously have to be willing to slave away at code for no purchase revenue, no ad revenue and if you don't make it amazing for everyone, they'll call you useless and inform the world about how they "Uninstalled". Twits.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
They even complain about free apps! Lol. I just shrug my shoulders and keep it moving. People fail to realize that they have endless amount of options... first two being "buy it" or "don't buy it".

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Are Americans really that shallow that a game is bad if they don't get it for free?

Why is it "Americans"? I think anyone, from any part of the world, would criticise something if they didn't like it. If an app maker can't handle criticism, don't make an app.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Why is it "Americans"? I think anyone, from any part of the world, would criticise something if they didn't like it. If an app maker can't handle criticism, don't make an app.

This isn't about some standard constructive criticism that we are talking about here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Actually I think it's Android users. They're (or I should say "we're"; I use Android too) notoriously stingy. It's probably due to conditioning from having more free apps than iOS & WP.

Gal Avraham

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Every game I want I check reviews. It never fails but there are always people that are amazed of the game but because it's not free it gets one star. Are Americans really that shallow that a game is bad if they don't get it for free? I wish that person would be asked to work without getting paid, bet ya they would flip out, yet it's ok if it's another person who works for free as long as it's not them. It's embarrassing to me as a human of how selfish people really are. You want something, you buy it. You don't want to buy it then it doesn't belong to you and make it yourself... Wait you can't code? Then don't complain when someone does the coding for you because you can't or don't want to, and offers to sell you the game at such a low price. What's worse is when people do this over a $.99 game... Just wow

that's because of the high rates of non freeware apps compared to ios and android store

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems like consumers in these post-napster days, have feelings of entitlement and rail at the mere suggestion that some one else might expect recompense for his time and materials.

If I see a "freemium" app, with the paid version under about $3, I'll go right to the paid, even just for a trial. It's a trivial amount of money for someone else's time and effort, and it's worth it for me to be able to use the whole screen when I test the app, rather than having to turn significant screen real-estate over to annoying ads.

And besides, if I did just pay for the app (and I've yet to ask for a refund), I also feel entitled to write a review. If it's free, I figure I might as well STFU, 'cause I'm getting what I paid for.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Lets face it, some of us are cheap. Really cheap. I haven't spent a dime on an app since I got my WP7 in Dec '10. Why, cause I use Bing points to get MS gift cards. Before the MS gift cards, I just didn't buy apps. I don't fault the developer for trying to make a buck. I just won't buy if I don't want to spend the money. The people who give poor ratings because it costs a dollar are just dumb. Just don't buy it and move on.
On a side note, since I'm not a developer, do you make $ from ads on apps? I'm sure it's not much if you do, but I wasn't sure.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What about a Rick Perry phone? It can only store three numbers but can't recall any of them...

What about Siri Palin for iPhone? She avoids answering questions she doesn't want to. At times she goes rogue and just does what she wants with no regard to what you asked of her."Siri, text mom and tell her the Rochester burger joint was delicious!"

Siri: "Hey Tom, Ben Roethlisberger was pointy and conspicuous" Do you want me to send it?

"Dammit Siri Palin, stop going rogue!"

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What about Siri Palin for iPhone? She avoids answering questions she doesn't want to. At times she goes rogue and just does what she wants with no regard to what you asked of her."Siri, text mom and tell her the Rochester burger joint was delicious!"

Siri: "Hey Tom, Ben Roethlisberger was pointy and conspicuous" Do you want me to send it?

"Dammit Siri Palin, stop going rogue!"
I guess a can of worms has been opened...😃

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Depends on situation.
If games / apps are free on iOS and Android but not free with WP, there's a problem (There are many examples)

If we are talking apps that cost on all platforms, it is a different story. I have a hard time understanding why people are ok to buy a cup of starbucks daily but not ok to buy a quality mobile game.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Depends on situation.
If games / apps are free on iOS and Android but not free with WP, there's a problem (There are many examples)

If we are talking apps that cost on all platforms, it is a different story. I have a hard time understanding why people are ok to buy a cup of starbucks daily but not ok to buy a quality mobile game.
I think its because they just can't walk behind the counter at Starbucks and pour themselves a cup of coffee. A lot of people seem to have issues with digital content and the concept that someone may have worked to produce that content, be it an app, software, music or video. It should all just be free. My argument has always been if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Then they always come back with "it costs too much, its a rip off". Some stuff is expensive, I'd love to drive an expensive European car, but I can't afford it. That doesn't mean I can just go take one... I always go for the trial first if an app has one, even if its add supported (which I hate). At least you have a mechanism for assessing the app and its value to you. Like I said in my previous post, devs won't be writing apps if they can't make a living, and who can blame them?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6