Why is Microsoft's Image still tainted?

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Loving the positivity here.

I initially didn't like W8, but as i started looking into the tablets for W8, i started to like it more.

With Nokia's quarterly reports, i'm worried about the future of Windows Phone.

I really hate what these carriers are doing, it's almost like their sending it near used phones, because all of the "cool" people have an Android.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because Microsoft is a company perpetually following trends rather than setting them. They seem to operate in a constant panic mode and it shows in the products.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Missing apps, implementation (or lack) of apps, etc in their mobile OS has very little to do with Microsoft's tainted image. The general public has no clue that it's missing a native Instagram app, or doesn't have a notification center. In all actuality, the general public doesn't even know much about what OS they are using. Ask 1000 typical Samsung Galaxy S owners what OS they have, and the majority answer is "galaxy." They aren't buying Android, they are buying Samsung. They aren't buying iOS, they are buying Apple. Again, I'm speaking in generalities, but it's true. This being an enthusiast forum, we notice what's missing, what can be improved. The public doesn't.

yes I agree, ppl are buying whatever crap samsung throws at them and in general ppl reeally dont know abt WP but then even tech sites dont help either. any review for WP starts with saying that it is a promising OS but ends with lack of features that android/iphone has and lack of apps android/iphone has, and it does discourage ppl who start to get interested in WP.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
yes I agree, ppl are buying whatever crap samsung throws at them and in general ppl reeally dont know abt WP but then even tech sites dont help either. any review for WP starts with saying that it is a promising OS but ends with lack of features that android/iphone has and lack of apps android/iphone has, and it does discourage ppl who start to get interested in WP.

Funny really.

People buy whatever Samsung throws at them ?

Last time I checked , Samsung CEO admitted how their windows 8 products are not at all selling well which includes phones or hybrids.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/15/4106980/samsung-ceo-jk-shin-says-windows-isnt-selling-very-well

Why are people not buying the windows crap thrown at them ? Why are they buying only android crap ?

Answer : people know the difference

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Why are people not buying the windows crap thrown at them ? Why are they buying only android crap ?

I'm sure it has more to do with Android being a cool device to own over product quality...which we know Samsung in the mobile market is less than spectacular compared to stock Droid....in addition to the pretty cheap hardware design.

People don't know the difference because its not being offered as an option. Its false impressions from sales staff and ignorance that give WP8 a poor opportunity...at least if it were properly recognized then things maybe be slightly different.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
One thing that attracted me to Windows Phone 8 was that it accomplished all the day to day tasks I need (and I realize I'm in the minority here) of texting, email and phone calls in a nice, fluid OS. I could stand a few more features, but I really don't care about the lack of Instagram, and OMG, no Facebook app!!!! I appreciate the fact that I don't have to go through all the effort and risk of rooting my phone to get rid of the bloatware I don't want and to improve the performance. My last Android phone was full of crap that I didn't want, didn't install and was forbidden from uninstalling. And a lot of users aren't tech savvy enough to root a phone anyway. That's one reason people that can barley boot a computer use iPhones. I think WP8 is pretty easy to use for less demanding users. Built in Office apps are another plus as well.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it has more to do with Android being a cool device to own over product quality...which we know Samsung in the mobile market is less than spectacular compared to stock Droid....in addition to the pretty cheap hardware design.

People don't know the difference because its not being offered as an option. Its false impressions from sales staff and ignorance that give WP8 a poor opportunity...at least if it were properly recognized then things maybe be slightly different.

Its not offered as an option ? Nexus S was sold along side with Galaxy S with same specs and in almost every country at similar prices.Both had 512MB RAM as well.
but Nexus S was never sold as good as SGS did.

And Same happend with Galaxy Nexus.

S2 and Nexus were both released around same time in US , and 4S also was launched but 4S/S2 sold well while Gnex had bad sales.So google slashed its price to like $400 from initial $700/$600 but still didn't sell anywhere near iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2.Even iPhone 4 Sales were too strong at that time.

Not to forget the fact that Galaxy Nexus had "Galaxy" in it and Galaxy S2 had weird names in different carriers like Epic touch 4G etc. and still sold well.

Recently I rooted S2 and put a stock ROM which mimics Nexus 4's 4.2.x and I have experimented with many people but none of them liked stock android.
Everyone loved touchwiz or iOS.
------------------
So a customer comes and asks the sales guy "Is Instagram available on this lumia" or "Candyrush available on this lumia ?" , Sales guy can't answer it in single word like "Yes" or "No".
He will be explaining "No but it has something called instance..........bla bla" or "No".

Both answers are bad , So naturally consumers go for Android or iOS because their friends have it.If they run into problems or want to have apps what friends are using , its a safer bet.

Its a natural reaction I see from many.

Let me state another example :
HTC One has Ultra Pixel camera and decent ............but for consumers its always a camera with 4MP.
They will be like , only 4 MP ?

For consumers , Windows Phone is always a Windows Phone which is new and doesn't have apps what their friends are using on iPhone or Android.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Its not offered as an option ? Nexus S was sold along side with Galaxy S with same specs and in almost every country at similar prices.Both had 512MB RAM as well.
but Nexus S was never sold as good as SGS did.

And Same happend with Galaxy Nexus.

S2 and Nexus were both released around same time in US , and 4S also was launched but 4S/S2 sold well while Gnex had bad sales.So google slashed its price to like $400 from initial $700/$600 but still didn't sell anywhere near iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2.Even iPhone 4 Sales were too strong at that time.

Not to forget the fact that Galaxy Nexus had "Galaxy" in it and Galaxy S2 had weird names in different carriers like Epic touch 4G etc. and still sold well.

Recently I rooted S2 and put a stock ROM which mimics Nexus 4's 4.2.x and I have experimented with many people but none of them liked stock android.
Everyone loved touchwiz or iOS.
------------------
So a customer comes and asks the sales guy "Is Instagram available on this lumia" or "Candyrush available on this lumia ?" , Sales guy can't answer it in single word like "Yes" or "No".
He will be explaining "No but it has something called instance..........bla bla" or "No".

Both answers are bad , So naturally consumers go for Android or iOS because their friends have it.If they run into problems or want to have apps what friends are using , its a safer bet.

Its a natural reaction I see from many.

Let me state another example :
HTC One has Ultra Pixel camera and decent ............but for consumers its always a camera with 4MP.
They will be like , only 4 MP ?

For consumers , Windows Phone is always a Windows Phone which is new and doesn't have apps what their friends are using on iPhone or Android.

Funny really.

Last time I checked , Samsung CEO admitted how their windows 8 products are not at all selling well which includes phones or hybrids.

New Samsung CEO says there is 'lackluster demand' for Windows tablets and phones | The Verge

I agree with this.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Funny really.

New Samsung CEO says there is 'lackluster demand' for Windows tablets and phones | The Verge

I was referring to the Android crap, just look at SG grand, SG Mega.
I agree GS3 is good device but I've heard feedback from ppl who have now used it over an year, it has now slowed down to hell and with touchwiz, the performance sucks, Nexus 4 would hv crushed GS3 so google kept shipments very limited and as for stock android is concerned ppl are ready to pay more money for the same device running stock android, look at SG4 & HTC one google versions.

And I agree with ur apps point, alternate apps wont help, MS needs to do something abt it else the os is dead in couple of years, MS has enough cash that it can write it off and restart its strategy.

KHROMAsynthetik

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You want to see hate check out eurogamer.net - anything they publish on anything MS does gets absolutely smashed in the comments by Sony or Apple fanboys. Have never seen anything like it.

Personally I think all the hate comes from fear mixed with a pang of jealousy. MS are really starting to get their sh*t together and I don't think people can take it. W8 is a beautiful OS that is a joy to use on touchscreen, WP8 follows suit. The surface RT and Pro are without a shadow of a doubt the 2 best tablets in their respective classes from a styling and usability standpoint and with the upcoming xbox one about to revolutionise home entertainment. I don't think people can stand it, their beloved iproducts, android toys and Sony's console effort are all about to be found wanting by a company many had written off as one that just pumps out enterprise software.

[Just reading through this thread and this post jumped out at me.]

You're on EG, eh? Did you see the Spartan Assault story yesterday? As soon as it went up I was expecting mass hate - anything Halo, WP8 or W8 always seems to attract the idiots and that story had all of that wrapped up in a ribbon of exclusivity.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android is the hew windows mobile

and iOS is the new Palm OS!
You know, typically lesser hardware but still performs well, less change, lesser capabilities, but quick and easier to use (imho)
more of a turtle to the Android hare.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
WARNING: RANT AHEAD. PROCEED THROUGH NEXT POST WITH CAUTION. NAVIGATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

MS Hater: Microsoft hasn't innovated in years. Total follow the leader. Never ahead of the curve.
MS Hater #2: Microsoft shoves changes down their users throats. Just look at the Metro UI in Windows 8- loss of start screen, more gestures, their loyal followers don't want that. They are just shooting thenselves in the foot.

Truth: Both of these statements can not be true. Either MS doesn't innovate, or they force change. They fact both of these statements have shown up a ton show that MS Haters are not paying attention to what MS is doing as a company. It has been slow to react to the new world order, but now is adapting at a fairly quick rate. It was painful to not react, it is painful to react. MS is doing the right thing to be relevent in 5-10 years. Metro is new, able to be adated to cross platforms, and mobile centered. Plus that, start taking a look at all the Android and Apple's licsensing agreements in mobile, and you get the idea that mobile is DEPENDENT on MS innovation.

MS Hater: Look at the Zune, Kin, and about a dozen other attempts at new products. MS has flopped repeatedly.

Truth: Look at the use of Zune to launch into an entertainment media, the XBOX, Bing, MSN news service, and about a dozen other examples. Why not mention Google's poor attempts at social sites, Apples inability to EVER get Mac computers out of single digit sales and their Maps flop?

MS Hater: WP is just missing too many features, no way they can compete with Android and Apple.

Truth: WP is behind Android and Apple, but right where they should be. Level headed mobile enthusiast know where the big 2 were after 3 years of devlopement. No where NEAR where they are today. MS is soaring in improvements to their OS. Of course they are playing catch up, so they have too. But it is a credit to them they are moving at a pace where in WP is in three years where Android and Apple were at maybe even three-five years. Most oftheir functions work. The glitches need ironed out, but overall it has been a great effort.

MS Hater: Win Mobile and WP7 users were left behind. WP 8 users will be too.

Truth: BB07 users and 90% of Android users have the same complaint. I will spot you Apple, who has earned their reputation for support of their devices. MS has some repair and improvement to do here. Nothing short of time will show MS has learned their lesson.

MS Hater: Micr$oft is all about money. Could care less about anything else.

Truth: Well....DUH!! Seen Apple's stash of cash??? Seen all the criticism of Google for selling every piece of their users search history to earn every red cent they can from adds? Stupid, moronic argument.

Long post, but I feel better now. MS is corporation. Neither evil nor good. Niether perfect nor completely screwed up. Niether behind nor ahead. It is just a tech company. Buy it's products, or don't. I am FINE with criticism that are true- continued storage issues and XBOX Music problems in WP8, for example, or the Windows RT flop, which was one of the worst product launches in MS history when it was actually a decent product but packaged wrong. But, why waste time trying to put it out of existence on blog boards when this company has done so much right in it's history and meant so much to tech and software?

RANT OVER. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR THREAD. :wink:

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
WARNING: RANT AHEAD. PROCEED THROUGH NEXT POST WITH CAUTION. NAVIGATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

MS Hater: Microsoft hasn't innovated in years. Total follow the leader. Never ahead of the curve.
MS Hater #2: Microsoft shoves changes down their users throats. Just look at the Metro UI in Windows 8- loss of start screen, more gestures, their loyal followers don't want that. They are just shooting thenselves in the foot.

Truth: Both of these statements can not be true. Either MS doesn't innovate, or they force change. They fact both of these statements have shown up a ton show that MS Haters are not paying attention to what MS is doing as a company. It has been slow to react to the new world order, but now is adapting at a fairly quick rate. It was painful to not react, it is painful to react. MS is doing the right thing to be relevent in 5-10 years. Metro is new, able to be adated to cross platforms, and mobile centered. Plus that, start taking a look at all the Android and Apple's licsensing agreements in mobile, and you get the idea that mobile is DEPENDENT on MS innovation.

MS Hater: Look at the Zune, Kin, and about a dozen other attempts at new products. MS has flopped repeatedly.

Truth: Look at the use of Zune to launch into an entertainment media, the XBOX, Bing, MSN news service, and about a dozen other examples. Why not mention Google's poor attempts at social sites, Apples inability to EVER get Mac computers out of single digit sales and their Maps flop?

MS Hater: WP is just missing too many features, no way they can compete with Android and Apple.

Truth: WP is behind Android and Apple, but right where they should be. Level headed mobile enthusiast know where the big 2 were after 3 years of devlopement. No where NEAR where they are today. MS is soaring in improvements to their OS. Of course they are playing catch up, so they have too. But it is a credit to them they are moving at a pace where in WP is in three years where Android and Apple were at maybe even three-five years. Most oftheir functions work. The glitches need ironed out, but overall it has been a great effort.

MS Hater: Win Mobile and WP7 users were left behind. WP 8 users will be too.

Truth: BB07 users and 90% of Android users have the same complaint. I will spot you Apple, who has earned their reputation for support of their devices. MS has some repair and improvement to do here. Nothing short of time will show MS has learned their lesson.

MS Hater: Micr$oft is all about money. Could care less about anything else.

Truth: Well....DUH!! Seen Apple's stash of cash??? Seen all the criticism of Google for selling every piece of their users search history to earn every red cent they can from adds? Stupid, moronic argument.

Long post, but I feel better now. MS is corporation. Neither evil nor good. Niether perfect nor completely screwed up. Niether behind nor ahead. It is just a tech company. Buy it's products, or don't. I am FINE with criticism that are true- continued storage issues and XBOX Music problems in WP8, for example, or the Windows RT flop, which was one of the worst product launches in MS history when it was actually a decent product but packaged wrong. But, why waste time trying to put it out of existence on blog boards when this company has done so much right in it's history and meant so much to tech and software?

RANT OVER. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR THREAD. :wink:

Your entire rant in few line :
Hater's opinion : MS is bad because of x or y
You said : Other companies are doing bad in z or w , So other companies are also same.Therefore MS is doing things right

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
When the rubber hits the road, the only thing that really matters is whether or not Microsoft is making money for it's investors.

The "tainted" question is one best left for the hipster tech writers who drool over CEO's who dress and talk like themselves, and the ever expanding internet business sites and writers who's main purpose is to push an agenda advantageous to themselves and those they represent, and "they" are not Joe & Dorothy Public from Nebraska

I've often wondered why sites like Forbes, Motley Fool, Business Insider etc...can tell their sheep to love a company one week and then dump them like a psycho girlfriend the next week. Are there many large companies whose fundamental fortunes can or will change in a week?

...Curious, taint it?

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
"MS Hater: Win Mobile and WP7 users were left behind. WP 8 users will be too.

Truth: BB07 users and 90% of Android users have the same complaint. I will spot you Apple, who has earned their reputation for support of their devices. MS has some repair and improvement to do here. Nothing short of time will show MS has learned their lesson."

This true as far as Android goes. My last phone got one update and was left for dead...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Your entire rant in few line :
Hater's opinion : MS is bad because of x or y
You said : Other companies are doing bad in z or w , So other companies are also same.Therefore MS is doing things right

well..... Sure if you take the EASY way out of a post!!

But I did get.to rant. :grin:

Actually, the whole point wasn't that other companies are bad, just that the complaints about MS are mostly over rated and based in bias, not fact. Microsoft has innovated, are still leaders far and away in some areas of tech, and are generally a very dependable tech company. You cannot generally fail unless they are generally trying. MS will figure out their shortcomings.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
This thread just reminded me of an exchange I had with some MS hating Linux guys. They were going on and on about how inefficient Windows 8 was because there was no start button, the boot to start screen and a slew of other pointless reasons. At the same time I pointed out how they were continuously typing in shell scripts to do simple things which didn't seem all that efficient. I also pointed out how I didn't have any compatibility issues or never had to look for third party drivers. They really couldn't reply with anything other than, 'yeah well at least Linux was free'.

Point of the story - some techies are just plain ignorant and are scared of anything that doesn't look like Windows 2000

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN] c'mon folks lets keep this thread on topic. Posts about lack of features belong in this thread here. Anymore off topic posts will receive an infraction [/WARN]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers