App sharing on PC and Windows Phone

hussain#CB

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

If i buy an app on windows 8 laptop, can i also use it on my windows phone or do i have to purchase it again?

Also is it any way to install an app on my phone which is not available in my region for purchase.

Thanks

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know the two stores are seperate. It might be different for specific apps, but at least I know that if you fe. buy the new Halo: Spartan Assault on your phone, you wont have it on PC/tablet.

Win RT and Win 8 share the same store, so if you would buy an app that can run on both, you would also have access to both, but the same doesnt hold for WP app store and Win 8 app store at this time.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Coreldan is correct. microsoft treats PC's and Tablets as one category, phones as another. I don't konw of any that you can buy once run anywhere.

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, the only app that you can buy once and run on both Windows Phone and Windows 8 is Galactic Reign, which is worth $4.99 on the U.S. Store. If you buy it in one, you can download on the other as Trial, and when you open it, it'll recognize you already bought it and activate itself. The only caveat is that you only get Achievements on the platform you bought it initially.

Much Love!

Sergio The One

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No, its not. Microsoft's COO presented a few weeks back and it was on one of the slides.
http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-re...th-windows-coming-to-windows-phone-after-all/

I hear you, but that article is kind of misleading. A common app platform doesn't necessarily mean a unified store. Form factor differences play a big role here.
I'm not saying is wrong. I'm just saying that there's conflicting information from Microsoft officials.

This is a quote from an article by Mary Jo Foley who quoted Steven Guggenheimer saying:

""Well, it is always a little different on different devices because of the size & input differences, but we are doing a lot of work to make it as easy as possible to reuse code and layout when building across multiple devices.")

Guggenheimer declined to provide any new guidance as to when and whether there will ever be a unified store for Windows Phone, Windows and Xbox.

"Nothing to disclose on Stores today," he told another questioner on Reddit.

Later in the Reddit session, Guggenheimer was asked again whether there ever will be just one store across phone, tablet/PC and Xbox.

"We have some good learning from the client/server model on where the common core is effective and where it is not. We want to continue to take that learning to the devices/services model," he replied. (I kind of take that as a no, but maybe I'm reading into things.)"

Check it out. :)
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-deve...indows-core-doesnt-mean-one-store-7000017430/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel