Kill Switch in Future Updates?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything regarding Microsoft implementing some kinda kill switch similar to Apple's on iOS7? In one of the upcoming updates perhaps?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
What kind of feature do you mean? The sound of it reminds me of a feature to remotely wipe/lock the phone, which can already be done, so I guess you mean something different?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
One that would render the phone unusable after a remote wipe. Does WP8 already do this? I know you'll be able to wipe, but can someone still use it after that?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I havn't tried, but I figure it's still usable. You can however also lock the phone, which I believe would render it useless until unlocked by you, but I guess one could still 1) hard reset 2) take out sim card to potentially remove the lock.

But sadly I can't really give more info on the features as I havnt tried em and don't really want to do it for the sake of testing either :D

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
MS are able to remove apps on your phone from their end if the app has been pulled/banned from the store, so I guess it's conceivable they could do other things, too. You'd need a data connection but I have absolutely no idea why it would be necessary for MS to break your phone. I guess it's conceivable MS could be requested to do so by the authorities in extreme cases, but realistically they'd just buy another phone. Not sure I get the point.

As far as phone thefts go, you can ring your phone and find it's last known location online, there's no reason why MS couldn't track it further their end.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
MS are able to remove apps on your phone from their end if the app has been pulled/banned from the store, so I guess it's conceivable they could do other things, too. You'd need a data connection but I have absolutely no idea why it would be necessary for MS to break your phone. I guess it's conceivable MS could be requested to do so by the authorities in extreme cases, but realistically they'd just buy another phone. Not sure I get the point.

As far as phone thefts go, you can ring your phone and find it's last known location online, there's no reason why MS couldn't track it further their end.
Thanks for that. As theft deterrent, that would be the point.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything regarding Microsoft implementing some kinda kill switch similar to Apple's on iOS7? In one of the upcoming updates perhaps?

Everyone needs to do this.

In iOS 7 , you can hard reset, dfu mode, restore the phone, erase the phone, and would still be unusable to the thief.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Find my Windows Phone feature can:
* Locate
* Ring
* Lock
* Erase

Since WP7 days.

Then you call your carrier to blacklist the IMEI of your phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Find my Windows Phone feature can:
* Locate
* Ring
* Lock
* Erase

Since WP7 days.

Then you call your carrier to blacklist the IMEI of your phone.
But keep in mind that this is based on the Microsoft Account that the phone is logged into, so if the phone gets wiped, you won't be able to track it any longer. The only recourse would be to have the carrier blacklist the IMEI.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The idea is that if you give up the idea of ever getting the phone back, you can wipe it clean of your personal data and let the other guy use it. If you want to track it, don't wipe.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I realize that... My point was that if you want to track the phone, and the bad guy has wiped it (enter the wrong pin enough times, and it'll wipe, if I remember right - thinking I read that somewhere), you can no longer track it. But you could have the carrier black-list the phone, and it's useless to said bad guy. :wink:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But keep in mind that this is based on the Microsoft Account that the phone is logged into, so if the phone gets wiped, you won't be able to track it any longer. The only recourse would be to have the carrier blacklist the IMEI.

find me a thief that would actually know how to do a hard reset on "X variety of Windows Phone" before you could get to FMP and send a wipe. Now granted, if you don't have any passcode on your phone you deserve what is coming to you.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember Microsoft account has a pass code re-try-before-wipe limitation. Enterprise Exchange account typically do (defaults to 10 times) as part of the exchange policy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember Microsoft account has a pass code re-try-before-wipe limitation. Enterprise Exchange account typically do (defaults to 10 times) as part of the exchange policy.

After reading your post, I looked around and didn't find anything, so I figured I was wrong... But then I saw this:
WP8 device wipe after incorrect 'A1B2C3' PIN/password - Microsoft Community
If you read down there are two guys who say it has happened to them. The discussion includes Enterprise Exchange, so one would think if they have it they would say so, but they also don't say that they don't have it.... So either I'm wrong, or there's something more going on, as the last guy says.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong. There is another thread here recently about a guy locked himself out and have to wait a looong time before try another PIN. But no wipe out. Most ppl have no clue that their work email automatically enforce a policy.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs