I bought an unlocked Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 off of eBay about a week ago. I have been using it fine on the latest software (only problem is can only send text over 2g or trick it into sending over 3g, but it isn't a biggie to me, lots of 2g here),but I saw the amber update is soon to be rolling out for devices and depending on your carrier is when you get it. I am using my phone on Walmart's Family Mobile through T-Mobile. I am wondering how I will get the update will T-Mobile roll it out to me, or will it come from Verizon since it is a Verizon branded device? Thanks for the help, and extra info when I first got my phone it wasn't update to latest software and it showed the latest update and I updated fine just want to know will it still show up for me on this update. Thanks!
    07-22-2013 08:48 AM
    If you have received updates in the past with no issue you should not have any issues with future firmware updates.
    07-22-2013 09:21 AM
    Ok, who will provide me with the update? Verizon, T-Mobile, or will it just come to me because I have a WP8 device?
    07-22-2013 09:32 AM
    If you have received updates in the past with no issue you should not have any issues with future firmware updates.
    What kind of answer is that? did you read the post?
    hopmedic likes this.
    07-22-2013 09:43 AM
    What kind of answer is that? did you read the post?
    I was thinking that but didn't want to say it, lol.
    07-22-2013 11:08 AM
    I have the same issue, unlocked international version of L920 on Bell. Bell doesn't carry the device, so I have no idea how this is going to go down.
    07-22-2013 01:47 PM
    I bought an unlocked Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 off of eBay about a week ago. I have been using it fine on the latest software (only problem is can only send text over 2g or trick it into sending over 3g, but it isn't a biggie to me, lots of 2g here),but I saw the amber update is soon to be rolling out for devices and depending on your carrier is when you get it. I am using my phone on Walmart's Family Mobile through T-Mobile. I am wondering how I will get the update will T-Mobile roll it out to me, or will it come from Verizon since it is a Verizon branded device? Thanks for the help, and extra info when I first got my phone it wasn't update to latest software and it showed the latest update and I updated fine just want to know will it still show up for me on this update. Thanks!
    Hey MyNL822, you will get an update through the operators your phone is currently on, so it sounds like that's T-Mobile. Microsoft make the patch and then it goes through to the Manufacturers for testing. When that's signed off it goes to your carrier for further testing. When all the brass is happy it won't break your phone you'll get an update notification on your phone. You can manually check for updates, though, by going to settings>phone update>check for updates. You'll only be able to download the update through a WiFi network (to save on data costs) and after that you'll go through the install process.

Like I say, your phone will tell you with a notification a day or two after the update is widespread, but you can check manually if you're really anxious to get it.

Hope that helps!
    07-22-2013 02:02 PM
    So what you're saying is I'm screwed? Bell doesn't carry a single Nokia device.
    07-22-2013 02:16 PM
    Sigh. If you own an unlocked phone you will get the update when the unlocked phone updates comes out. They release updates for unlocked phones as they realize that people have these things.

It shouldn't matter what carrier you're on as your phone is unlocked, which is the whole point of having an unlocked phone.

As for when that is, your guess is as good as mine. Sometime in August.
    Laura Knotek and Keegan Pinto like this.
    07-22-2013 02:32 PM
    I could be wrong, but I think the updates all come from Microsoft. They are limited depending on your device brand/type and carrier(listed in the phones firmware). If the carrier hasn't given a green light MS won't let the update go to your phone.

So, if you have an 822, you'll get the update when VZW approves it. But it shouldn't have to be activated on a VZW line to get the update because it comes from Microsoft.
    07-22-2013 03:25 PM