My concept UI for Windows 8.1 or 9.0

ibouchez

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Great work.! the swipe down to close is a must to bring the Mobile and Desktop OS experience to a consistent UI
Even more amazing is that you used PowerPoint to build that video. Who knew you could do that - Impressive.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I think the split screen might be useful. Especially if your posting to a blog, website or writing an email and need to spell or fact check something.

I don't see it being useful at all. Quite the opposite actually:

• One app will always have parts of its UI hidden (as it is forced out the bottom of the screen), rendering it useless if the hidden part contains important controls.
  • If the two apps both include a vertically scrollable content area, then panning becomes an ambiguous gesture. Does the user want to scroll the content area, or does the user want to scroll the hidden part of the lower app back into view so it can be used as intended?
  • How do app-bars fit into this split screen concept (the buttons at the bottom of the display), if both apps employ one?
  • Regarding your example: Why is the split screen better then task-switching into (i.e.) Wikipedia and then switching back into your blogging app (particularly if that would be possible using a swipe-from-left-edge gesture, as shown in the video, and championed by Windows RT). The split screen takes longer to setup and forces me to sacrifice screen real-estate and usability, on a device where screen real-estate is already quite limited as is.
Of course, many of these problems can be avoided by limiting this feature to specific apps, that are explicitly developed to make use of multi-windowing while avoiding the pitfalls. In fact, that is exactly how Samsung has dealt with these problems using their flavour of Android and TouchWiz. WP would need to do the same, meaning the feature would be very limited in its applicability from the outset.

IMHO WP lacks a million other features that would be far more useful and important than multi-windowing, which even most Android users agree is largely a gimmick. I think the OP is trying too hard to copy Samsung.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Like what a5cent?

Instead of detailing my own wishes (which diverge somewhat from what most of the WP community wants and would be slightly off-topic in this thread), I'll just refer you to this thread, where AngryNil assembled a list of the WPC communities' most wanted features for WP8.

I would consider most of the items on that list far more important than support for multi-windowing (which as you can see nobody thought was worth mentioning).

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Well done and brilliant work. I'd like to try out the new version of PowerPoint now. Would be great to see Microsoft incorporate some of those features or something similar.

jongthechemist

May 16, 2013
Visit site
the interactive livetile itself can make a huge difference and reduces some of the excessive UI elements. for example settings tile can have toggle buttons for quick settings. a notification center (i imagine it will be a hub itself which will not be close-able in the task manager) tile can show list of notifications and tap on one, it launches the app that sends the notification. i agree with the search hero and tell me. great job!

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the extensive comment :) i understand many users expect notification screens (including me) to be on the left side, since all apps is accessed from the right. but i also really want to add the switch feature so im split here. i'm also huge wp fan and i read several requests from users, so i tried to incorporate their (our) request to my concept :)

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Well done and brilliant work. I'd like to try out the new version of PowerPoint now. Would be great to see Microsoft incorporate some of those features or something similar.

we can use older versions like 2010 to create the same effects, except the rotating slide transition i used. it's the "flip" transition and it animates differently on 2013. :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i actually don't know. if it does, it's better since the button can work separately from the screen.

First, Microsoft doesn't specify that the hardware buttons must be capacitive. Some Samsung WP8 devices have a non-capacitive start button, so gestures wouldn't work on them. Second, although capacitive hardware buttons could be built that recognize gestures, the ones currently on WP8 devices do not.

So, for your concept you have two choices, both of which require adjustments to the hardware chassis specification. Either mandate that a) hardware buttons should be removed or b) that the hardware buttons must be capacitive and support gestures.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I like many of the ideas though think a few over-complicate things. The notification center idea is nice, as well as closing apps. Split screen interesting though don't know how practical. Folders needed and optional other sorting on apps list. Well presented.

thanks for the input :) yes i also find split screen functionality dependent on the apps. though usually in my experience there are times when splitting the screen would be beneficial such as suddenly taking notes while doing something else, or i want to compute something while texting and the result would be placed on the text message, or suddenly i need to work on something while watching a movie but i dont really want to pause it. some things like. :) and in the future, the os would support 1080p in its gdr3 update so i think it would be a waste to miss the splitscreen feature ;)

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I would like a full notification center sorted by time - something like "missed calls", but for all app notifications. Accesable by swiping to the right, so opposite of "all apps" view. Second, i would like a control center that controls music, bluetooth, brightness etc. by swiping from the top. I like your bing improvements. But i don't think things like app side-by-side, switching by swiping or closing by swiping are realistic or needed. Also the more tiles on the startscreen, i know they are optimized for bigger screens, but for these form factors there is Windows 8 with >7" support in Windows 8.1

once the desktop os has been made similar with windows phone, i know this concept wouldnt anymore be necessary. but as of the recent updates, they were planning to create phablets which has 5.0" screens (or maybe larger). phablets would be incompatible with w8/w8.1 since these os were not created for gsm. so we have to stick with wp os's. in my point of view, the current 4 columns would be a waste of space if the phablet screen is 5.0 inches or larger. the 1x1 tile might become as large as the 2x2 tile on our 3.7" screens.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
There are somethings in this concept that I really dislike, in particular there seems to be too many swipe options which I think will cause WP to lose its simplicity HOWEVER I really like the idea for the task manager and control music on live tiles. The multitasking windows looks very BB10 but could prove practice.

All in all this is a very well thought out UI concept and whilst completely my cup of tea it is great to see someone put in so much effort to spark debate on the future of our platform. Thank you!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I like this concept for the most part. But I agree with IrRevd with regards to some aspects are similar to BB10, like that glance view. It's what I thought of straight away when I saw it.

I do like how it takes a lot from Windows 8 however. I really like the interactive music tile. It's what I want and it would give me reason to pin it double wide like I did in WP7. But in WP8 I don't like how it reverts back to the green tile. Independent volume control looks well implemented.

Overall, it was nice to see something like this. Good job, especially with how the video was put together.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
There are somethings in this concept that I really dislike, in particular there seems to be too many swipe options which I think will cause WP to lose its simplicity HOWEVER I really like the idea for the task manager and control music on live tiles. The multitasking windows looks very BB10 but could prove practice.

All in all this is a very well thought out UI concept and whilst completely my cup of tea it is great to see someone put in so much effort to spark debate on the future of our platform. Thank you!

thank you. my hands were actually itching to create one, especially whenever i'm using my phone and thinking "hey i would be happier if i could do this on my screen". thanks for appreciating my work :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa