Why does EVERY app need my location?

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
And you cant use the apps with out it? And if you wont let them access your location they wont even download?
Angry Birds does not need to know where im at.

ryansstuff

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
No idea tbh, like battery app needing it WHY? I am going to start putting this in my reviews and marking down if there is not reason for it. That will be the only way to stop this happening.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have location services turned off on my L920. I've yet to find an app that doesn't work without it. There will be some of course but for the apps I use no issues. The reason I turned it off was due to an app constantly accessing the service and causing my battery to drain and making the device hot. I didn't want to get rid of the app as I like and use it.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is something that has confused me as well. I download a stop watch and it wants my location. I do not have my location turned on but still weird. Government Conspiracy.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
But if you pay for an app the advertising wont be there.
iOS and Android give you the option to turn of location services for any app. But MS wont even let you download an app without using it. And yes, I could turn off my GPS for the whole phone, but why should I have to?

longnd

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It's a trick to keep the app running in the background since currently WP8 only allow location apps to run in the background:
[INFO]On Windows Phone, only one app runs in the foreground at a time. If the user navigates away from an app by pressing the Start button or by launching another app, the current app is suspended. If the new foreground app requires more memory than the suspended app, the suspended app may be terminated and tombstoned. For more information on the life cycle of Windows Phone apps, see App activation and deactivation for Windows Phone. On Windows Phone 8, a location-tracking app can continue to run in the background after the user navigates away, as long as the app continues to actively track location. This feature enables scenarios such as an app that provides turn-by-turn directions.[/INFO]
source: MSDN

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've not heard of apps using location services to keep running in the background. That's just plain dumb, in addition to violating the app certification requirements. It uses way too much juice. I've heard of apps using the background audio APIs to do this, though. I don't use What'sApp, but I seem to recall that's one that does this.

Apps requiring the use of location services, when location isn't a part of the app's function is most often going to be for the advertising SDK. Microsoft's ad SDK doesn't require it, but many of the others do.

Here's a post where I explained it in greater detail. A couple of posts below it explain the media library requirement.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/230008-location-services.html#post2006555

Goosinurwife

Banned
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
i think thats is a feature thought up by the cops so they can track you i heard microsoft and google both have agreements with the police to turn in people and they use the location on ur cell phone everyone knows that

SecretAndAnonymus

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Here`s why:

-They want your location because then when your on internet, other internet places wants to know where you are so the could send you email or etters in your masilbox, also they want your contacts for doing the same, but with your friends to.

-As ChristenMartin said... Gouvernmental Conspiracy... They may use it to know everything you do and where you are...So in short... YOU ARE BEEING WATCHED!

-An animated show called South Park made fun of it...if your wanna watch it its called "Humancentipad" and its on the 15th season.

Anyways... There your know why they want to have your location, email and friend list...

---SecretAndAnonymus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire