Is there a way to filter / sort the apps in Store?

inertially

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I search for apps in Store. I just get a bunch of junk apps mixed in.. There's no perceivable order..

How do I sort by things like good-ness? Example: number of downloads, rating, trending, downloads with the last x days, etc?
Or just a general "list the good ones first" like Android does... instead of scrambling the 1 star rating DOWNLOAD FREE WALLPAPER HERE website wrapper "apps" with the stuff that's relevant to my search query.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi inertially and welcome to WPCentral.

I'm not sure of the answer, but that is a good question. I'd be interested too, if someone knows if any filters are possible.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It tries to sort by relevance.

By relevance, I mean, Title>Description, then tries to give you as many high ratings as possible before you scroll.
Inverted pyramid, my friend.

Occasionally, search also gives you names of apps as you type. If you tap this, more often than not, these aren't junk apps.

And, no, there are no filters.

inertially

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Not even a simple, view Free apps only?

Well I don't really consider the Relevance algorithm to be working then.. I see 2 stars apps mixed together with 4 stars apps on the first screen right after a search (at the top of search results).

Err nevermind... title and description.... I guess that means that there simply aren't the apps I want on WP8.
Even a simple "Photo Gallery" search bad apps as the top results.
http://i.imgur.com/kGMeezX.jpg

Is there an equivalent apps to "QuickPic" for Android on WP8.. I mean having the same feature set, specifically the option to view more details on photo (Size, date taken, etc, EXIF data).

*Nevermind, I just think the relevance algorithm is fundamentally flawed... Even when I search for "Calculator" The number one search result is an app with a bunch of reviews that say nearly all of its calculations are wrong... There are better Calculators that show in lower in the results...
But all of them seem pretty junky compared to Android. At least the Free ones. Seems to be a lot less offered for Free (percentage wise) on WP8 compared to Android also...

Last edited:

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You're definitely right; I don't think it sorts them by relevance, and if it does, it does it incredibly poorly.
If I search specifically for "myTube", this is what I get.

Note that myTube appears 16th(!) on the list! WTF?! Ridiculous.

There are filters, so to speak. On the store's main page you can get a list of "New + Rising", "Top Free" and so on, but you can't apply those criteria to a manual search which is a bizarre oversight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro