07-30-2013 06:47 AM
73 123
tools
    I agree that a lot of the problem is communication. If they would just announce WP8.1 sooner than later, then they would at least shed some light on what's to come. WP8 will hit its first year anniversary in just a few more months, and I think WP8.1 needs to be out by then or very close to it. The problem is it doesn't look like MS is anywhere near that becoming a reality.

It'll be funny if WP8.1 doesn't come before MS' promised 18 month support window for updates.
    yeah, It's 36 months support now kiddo
    07-29-2013 09:39 AM
    The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.
    I'm not sure that is a fair way to look at it. Instead, I bought a Nexus phone 13 months ago. When I first bought it, it had Ice Cream Sandwich on it, version 4.0.4. Since that time, I've had upgrades to 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, and now 4.3. This is also despite the rumors of a huge update (5.0) that is in the works; it was originally "expected" last October/November and is now expected this coming October. So while 4.3 may have been an update that has few changes users see, it is merely one of several updates over the last year -- with a major upgrade having occurred about a year ago (Ice Cream Sandwich to Jellybean) and a second major upgrade expected by the end of the year. And even if 5.0 isn't released by November, it is a solid bet (based on history) that they will have enough updates/improvements to roll out a 4.4 update.

As for many Android phones not getting all the updates, I'm not sure we can compare that to WP, at least yet. I know on the Lumia 810 forum they are scared of their phones not being updated, since it is already EOL. I'm guessing they will get updates, even if delayed, but I think it does point to it possibly becoming a real issue in the future. There are currently hundreds of Android phones on the market, and there seem to be signs that if WP ever becomes that popular that manufacturers/carriers will quit providing timely updates (or any updates) to EOL and less popular phones. And Android at least has the advantage that you can root your phone and develop/install your own updates if no updates are officially available.

My fear is based on Microsoft's past, they have a very bad track record when it comes to mobile products. They get in, they play a couple of years, find that they are having trouble making a profit, and they get out. I'm afraid Microsoft is trying to evaluate where they are with their mobile products. While I don't believe they are ready to give up, my fear is that we are seeing the mobile side become less of a priority.
    haikallp and FinancialP like this.
    07-29-2013 10:28 AM
    I agree to a point with you. Yes, they could get these updates out sooner, but some of your complaints are not valid.

*Rotation Lock - yeah, it would be nice, but it is a small fish in an ocean.
    *Notification Hub - Eh, I think notifications could be handled the way webOS did it. I've not used Android so I don't understand the fuss everyone makes about this issue.
    *Folders on the start screen - Huh? We have Live Tiles. Incorporating folders on the start screen completely negates the Live Tiles.
    *Apps - Yeah, this is a personal opinion here. I agree they need to get the major hitters on board, but the os has come a long way since its birth.
    Not at all!

*Rotation lock is a small fish? Why does it take years to get implemented then? Yes, it should be very easy to implement, but still MS isnt doing it. Maybe they're waiting untill the found the perfect, most beautiful solution, but a simple solution is better here
    * Notifications: Basic question: Why switch to a OS that lacks basic things other OS's have? I dont need a notification center, but why should I defend MS here? They had plenty of time.
    *Folders: No, live tiles are not an argument! The games hub actually is some kind of a folder as well. Why should I not be able to create custom ones?
    *Apps: I'd say progress is pretty fine regarding app availability. But again, if you want to be the big fish in the pond, this should be standard. We don't want to be like BlackBerry, do we?
    Last edited by sueha; 07-29-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    haikallp likes this.
    07-29-2013 11:02 AM
    • Then why can Google and Apple release updates faster, explain that to me.
    • The start screen is a notification centre? So I have to pin everything that sends notifications to my start screen (which btw, only medium and large tiles show information).
    Apple releases once per year. The last major Android release was in 2011.
    07-29-2013 11:10 AM
    So while 4.3 may have been an update that has few changes users see, it is merely one of several updates over the last year -- with a major upgrade having occurred about a year ago (Ice Cream Sandwich to Jellybean) and a second major upgrade expected by the end of the year.
    ICS to JB was 4.0 to 4.1. Not a major revision. Anything thats a X.Y.A to X.Y.B is hardly worth mentioning, and more a consequence of a less rigid update structure in Android (like implementing BT4.0 support a month after the rest of GDR2 would be for WP8.)
    07-29-2013 11:14 AM

My fear is based on Microsoft's past, they have a very bad track record when it comes to mobile products. They get in, they play a couple of years, find that they are having trouble making a profit, and they get out. I'm afraid Microsoft is trying to evaluate where they are with their mobile products. While I don't believe they are ready to give up, my fear is that we are seeing the mobile side become less of a priority.
    Thats exactly it right there, i think MS is spending so much time re-considering the value of Windows Phone rather that dedicating a full tilt into the division. I love my WP8, came from Android (and had a WP7.5 before that) because the OS is AWESOME. With that said, i got my L920 in May and gotta say i can stand behind the people asking for a more aggressive approach to updates/features rather than what seems to be a pretty laid back attitude. It does bother me when i hear "We will get support for most apps by the end of the year!" or not giving us a defined understanding of whats to come to the mobile OS by the end of the year. Originally i thought MS were doing this to hold back anticipation, but now im thinking that they're considering if the investment is worth the reward.

I dont think MS need to apply updates each month...but i think they need to address the features that many people consider 'niche' or standard. i want to stick with WP as i love the platform, but if i continue to see Android/Apple continue evolving and WP is at a stand still by end of year...i may jump ship again.
    07-29-2013 11:20 AM
    I think Android gave WP one year of rest while it sorts things out for its new kernel, you see Android has the same problem Win CE had, Its a bottle necked situation, Android choose to pump quality enhancements updates 4.X , while they perfected the new kernel in Android 5.0, believe me guys if Microsoft doesn't capitalize on Android 5.0 being late, Android will not be beaten like EVER.
    Android will finally stop lagging if it dropped the old kernel and WP's only card against it will be lost.
    haikallp, sueha and tissotti like this.
    07-29-2013 12:42 PM
    What people seem to forget is that this competition is a race where Android and iOS seem to be miles ahead of WP. Who would place bets on the 3rd one in a race if he doesn't run noticably faster than the leading pair? Having live tiles is cool and I love them, but unfortunately they are no dealbreakers.
    OzRob, qudahamohammad and haikallp like this.
    07-29-2013 01:13 PM
    Exact same feeling and 8.1 will be the final test to see if I'm staying or not.
    LoL, mine is different, for me 8.1 will be the semifinal if I'm gonna jump to WP or not..... :D as I use Android and can wait for sometimes but phones like 1020 make me very impatient... :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-29-2013 01:47 PM
    The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.
    True but when you're behind, you must catch up asap. 7 to 7.5 was the biggest move we have ever seen. So not every update but some must bring earth shattering features.

And, if you look carefully, 4.3 brings more FEATURES(mostly under the hood) than GDR2...

haikallp likes this.
    07-29-2013 01:50 PM
    MS is probably busy porting Windows RT to the phone. They don't want to invest any more in WP8 since it will be a dead end. This is why GDR2 and GDR3 are so lame.
    Hopefully WP Blue will be the new RT version, otherwise we'll have to wait until WP9 to get any significant updates.
    I would throw my Nexus 4 out, if this becomes true. I would get my all need

File Manager, Good Video-Audio players, News App., Better customization, email attachment problem would be solved, even you can share any files via Bluetooth, Mail, etc., app like whatsapp can access my audio-video library,etc etc etc....

I can breath air of freedom.....

Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    07-29-2013 02:01 PM
    What people seem to forget is that this competition is a race where Android and iOS seem to be miles ahead of WP. Who would place bets on the 3rd one in a race if he doesn't run noticably faster than the leading pair? Having live tiles is cool and I love them, but unfortunately they are no dealbreakers.
    Yeah. MS need to run faster just to catch up. All this talk about how often Google or Apple release major/minor updates to their respective phone OSs is moot. There are lots of things I could do with an iPhone or Android device years ago that I still can't with a Windows Phone. And for Android, what the OS lacks can usually be filled with an app, because the API is so open, which isn't the case with WP.

Android and iPhone have huge customer bases and lots of momentum, so Google and Apple can afford to set their own pace to some extent. Microsoft can't. It needs to be aggressive and active in the phone space to grab both market and mind share. Otherwise it will simply languish in number three spot with a niche following. And there's no long term future in that (Palm, Blackberry, I'm looking at you!).
    vish2801, haikallp and FinancialP like this.
    07-29-2013 07:03 PM
    yeah, It's 36 months support now kiddo
    Let's make a point to return to this topic once that point comes to see what those extra 18 months bought us, all right?
    07-29-2013 07:18 PM
    ICS to JB was 4.0 to 4.1. Not a major revision. Anything thats a X.Y.A to X.Y.B is hardly worth mentioning, and more a consequence of a less rigid update structure in Android (like implementing BT4.0 support a month after the rest of GDR2 would be for WP8.)
    That's not totally accurate. The change from Gingerbread (2.3) to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) introduced a new UI, not counting Honeycomb (3.0) which was tablet only. Jelly Bean (4.1) brought Project Butter, which was to address the lag issue. ICS to JB did not change the UI much, but it was a big update none-the-less. I have no clue why they went from 4.0 to 4.1 instead of 5.0, but that doesn't minimize the update. They did change the OS version name which indicates it was new.

i think MS is spending so much time re-considering the value of Windows Phone rather that dedicating a full tilt into the division.
    You know, I've wondered myself how dedicated Microsoft is to WP. So far it seems to be a big money pit. Did Microsoft jump in because they felt that's the way the market is going? Desktop & Office is their bread and butter. Can they survive down the road sticking with that? At this point WP doesn't have any real advantages over iOS & Android other than Skydrive & Office integration. Maybe Microsoft would be better off just dropping WP completely and develop apps for iOS & Android that would allow full integration with Skydrive & Office similar to how WP does.
    FinancialP, haikallp and tissotti like this.
    07-29-2013 09:15 PM

You know, I've wondered myself how dedicated Microsoft is to WP. So far it seems to be a big money pit. Did Microsoft jump in because they felt that's the way the market is going? Desktop & Office is their bread and butter. Can they survive down the road sticking with that? At this point WP doesn't have any real advantages over iOS & Android other than Skydrive & Office integration. Maybe Microsoft would be better off just dropping WP completely and develop apps for iOS & Android that would allow full integration with Skydrive & Office similar to how WP does.

:(

Sadly im starting to think ttry may be looking at it from that prospective as well. Sadly because I actually do love WP and think its unique enough to stand out from the crowd...being Droid and ios. Sure on paper it may not offer a huge difference but visually its captivating and simplistic...well I think so. Ah well, we already have a WP so we aren't a target audience...its the new blood they want and just how much of it they get will depend on multiple factors...so im concerned how much of that weight is really on adding features which the existing audience is begging for.
    haikallp likes this.
    07-29-2013 09:38 PM
    Microsoft is not fully all in with WP. Remember their original plan was the Kin, and that was a total failure. So much a failure that Verizon almost didn't want to sell their WP7 phones at first. Their main money maker is Windows 8 selling licenses, and Xbox. They're a software company and their in uncharted territory. If we look back in history, while Windows mobile had a decent amount of followers, it never really took off. History is repeating itself here, especially when you come late to the party. Apple in 2007, Google in 2008 and then Windows in 2010. Three years later is no way to gain ground at all.
    07-29-2013 09:49 PM
    A little of both, now that they have 3rd place.
    07-29-2013 09:53 PM
    That's not totally accurate. The change from Gingerbread (2.3) to Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) introduced a new UI, not counting Honeycomb (3.0) which was tablet only. Jelly Bean (4.1) brought Project Butter, which was to address the lag issue. ICS to JB did not change the UI much, but it was a big update none-the-less. I have no clue why they went from 4.0 to 4.1 instead of 5.0, but that doesn't minimize the update. They did change the OS version name which indicates it was new.

I don't think MS should scrap WP, MS has royalty money from Android so it can afford WP,too. MS can integrate WP with Windows 8 and make vastly superior ecosystem than iOS and Android can offer by integrating with their pc counter part. MS can make WP as de facto standard in enterprise and can also give good experience in consumer market by giving some freedom and with the help of Nokia's awesome hardware.
    Sadly, something's wrong in Redmond that WP is just like on ventilator support right now. MS needs to rethink about its priorities. Such delays aren't justified.

tgp and tissotti like this.
    07-30-2013 12:13 AM
    I want to thank you all for carrying on a intelligent conversation without name calling and without trashing the other OSs.

Nice read, and good points coming from both sides.

I've been using Microsoft phones for over 10 years, and absolutely nothing surprises me from them.
    Laura Knotek and haikallp like this.
    07-30-2013 12:51 AM
    What do you guys think about the 'Windows Phone Suggestion Box' that Microsoft have. I see many suggestions and user votes but many are yet to be addressed.
    07-30-2013 03:12 AM
    What do you guys think about the 'Windows Phone Suggestion Box' that Microsoft have. I see many suggestions and user votes but many are yet to be addressed.
    Before UserVoice, people used the Microsoft Answers forum to vent their frustrations and offer views on how to improve things. This became overwhelmed with repeat suggestions and rants etc plus of course, legitimate questions and queries for help were often overlooked or lost in the fog of complaints.

So when they launched Feature Suggestions, I was again, genuinely excited that finally Microsoft were not only going to take the time to listen but they would effectively be held accountable for the issues to be resolved and suggestions to be turned into real improvements and new features. And since it works by vote, you build up an expectancy that things are going to happen soon.

When Mango (WP7.5) was released, I thought things were getting better, if very slowly. But some of the quick wins I thought Microsoft would deliver on were skipped. When WP8 was released, most of the requests with the big votes still weren't touched, stuff which had been hanging around since WP7, I was truly shocked in some ways. Why would Microsoft take all that time to deliver Kids Corner and NFC sharing, something that nobody had ever cried about on the UserVoice website and yet, glaringly basic features and fixes continue to go unaddressed?

I think the site has effectively become just a talking shop where the baying mob can be quelled and put in a corner. Every 12 months or so we'll be thrown a bone to keep the anticipation and excitement high. It's gone beyond shame because the super slow development cycle only allows for one major update per year and a couple of minor tweaks in between which include nothing of interest. Things need to change in big ways to improve this situation.
    quantum tao and haikallp like this.
    07-30-2013 05:00 AM
    Microsoft hasn't changed in 20 years, now all of a sudden, just because you bought a wp7 or 8, you think Microsoft is not moving fast enough?
    07-30-2013 05:52 AM
    They put it there, but unfortunately once an item gets enough votes there's some copy-and-paste reply that the admin puts on it encouraging people to keep the ideas flowing, without ever having any resolution or action. I used to use it, but it's very depressing when that happens every time.
    haikallp and tissotti like this.
    07-30-2013 06:47 AM
73 123