Is Microsoft getting complacent or just lazy?

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I see that lot of people are wanting to have a faster update. But as for me, if WP8 gives faster update but will just cause many bugs and lag to the device, it's still not worth it.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. With that said, it appears M$ is fighting too large of a multi-front war. If you look at everything the corporation is trying to do, it's a LOT. Look at all of M$ products and services, their outlook and milestones over the next few quarters, then breathe in the fact that the entire organization has been revamped. IMO, the problem is their spread thin in too many things. Is it an excuse for M$? No. I say no for the fact that mobile computing/smartphones are on the bleeding edge of the tech wars. They need to put more attention to WP if they want to continue to grow in that segment. However, Desktops (especially enterprise use) and servers are their bread and butter and will continue to get first dibs on break/fix. Core business comes first. The critics can say what they want but the fact remains that 90-95% of computers on the planet run a Windows OS.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Ms is in the business to make everyone happy or they would there real money is not in phones but PC hardware there's more PC users than wp8 users there for who comes first. all big three platforms are updating at probably the same rate but windows is behind very hard to catch up if possible so i think Ms has acknowledged that and accepted they know it is what it is now its time we realize and accept it as well!

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I see that lot of people are wanting to have a faster update. But as for me, if WP8 gives faster update but will just cause many bugs and lag to the device, it's still not worth it.

everyone knows that, but look! How long did they build the OS? 8 months for WP8 but longer with the experience and technical since WP7, right?

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

Of course I do not want a buggy OS update too but why can google and apple release update faster. They have to understand that they are behind so they can't follow, let alone be behind their pace.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure google releases any faster in a practical sense. I have an ex-coworker who had to wait a year for his carrier to roll out ice cream sandwich, and he's still waiting for jellybean.

I've been on WP for less than a year, and I'm already facing my second update. Like others, I suspect that at least part of the delay is waiting on the carrier.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so sure google releases any faster in a practical sense. I have an ex-coworker who had to wait a year for his carrier to roll out ice cream sandwich, and he's still waiting for jellybean.

I've been on WP for less than a year, and I'm already facing my second update. Like others, I suspect that at least part of the delay is waiting on the carrier.

Well yeah, you're right..but look where Android is and where Windows Phone is . And with how open Android is, there are many things that Android users are enjoying that WP users are still waiting for. You can't really say the same vice versa. Like I said, I don't want any fancy features. I just want the features that Android/iOS have had e.g. Quick toggle for WiFi, Cellular Data, better management of photos and notification centre etc.. These are basic things to say the least.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

my friend, look at iOS and Android now, don't ever look back to the past since we're behind these platforms, you cannot say something like that because we're really slow now

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Well yeah, you're right..but look where Android is and where Windows Phone is . And with how open Android is, there are many things that Android users are enjoying that WP users are still waiting for. You can't really say the same vice versa. Like I said, I don't want any fancy features. I just want the features that Android/iOS have had e.g. Quick toggle for WiFi, Cellular Data, better management of photos and notification centre etc.. These are basic things to say the least.

GRAVITY LOCK! most important feature! Still absent. -.-

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree that a lot of the problem is communication. If they would just announce WP8.1 sooner than later, then they would at least shed some light on what's to come. WP8 will hit its first year anniversary in just a few more months, and I think WP8.1 needs to be out by then or very close to it. The problem is it doesn't look like MS is anywhere near that becoming a reality.

It'll be funny if WP8.1 doesn't come before MS' promised 18 month support window for updates.
yeah, It's 36 months support now kiddo

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.

I'm not sure that is a fair way to look at it. Instead, I bought a Nexus phone 13 months ago. When I first bought it, it had Ice Cream Sandwich on it, version 4.0.4. Since that time, I've had upgrades to 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, and now 4.3. This is also despite the rumors of a huge update (5.0) that is in the works; it was originally "expected" last October/November and is now expected this coming October. So while 4.3 may have been an update that has few changes users see, it is merely one of several updates over the last year -- with a major upgrade having occurred about a year ago (Ice Cream Sandwich to Jellybean) and a second major upgrade expected by the end of the year. And even if 5.0 isn't released by November, it is a solid bet (based on history) that they will have enough updates/improvements to roll out a 4.4 update.

As for many Android phones not getting all the updates, I'm not sure we can compare that to WP, at least yet. I know on the Lumia 810 forum they are scared of their phones not being updated, since it is already EOL. I'm guessing they will get updates, even if delayed, but I think it does point to it possibly becoming a real issue in the future. There are currently hundreds of Android phones on the market, and there seem to be signs that if WP ever becomes that popular that manufacturers/carriers will quit providing timely updates (or any updates) to EOL and less popular phones. And Android at least has the advantage that you can root your phone and develop/install your own updates if no updates are officially available.

My fear is based on Microsoft's past, they have a very bad track record when it comes to mobile products. They get in, they play a couple of years, find that they are having trouble making a profit, and they get out. I'm afraid Microsoft is trying to evaluate where they are with their mobile products. While I don't believe they are ready to give up, my fear is that we are seeing the mobile side become less of a priority.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree to a point with you. Yes, they could get these updates out sooner, but some of your complaints are not valid.

*Rotation Lock - yeah, it would be nice, but it is a small fish in an ocean.
*Notification Hub - Eh, I think notifications could be handled the way webOS did it. I've not used Android so I don't understand the fuss everyone makes about this issue.
*Folders on the start screen - Huh? We have Live Tiles. Incorporating folders on the start screen completely negates the Live Tiles.
*Apps - Yeah, this is a personal opinion here. I agree they need to get the major hitters on board, but the os has come a long way since its birth.

Not at all!

*Rotation lock is a small fish? Why does it take years to get implemented then? Yes, it should be very easy to implement, but still MS isnt doing it. Maybe they're waiting untill the found the perfect, most beautiful solution, but a simple solution is better here
* Notifications: Basic question: Why switch to a OS that lacks basic things other OS's have? I dont need a notification center, but why should I defend MS here? They had plenty of time.
*Folders: No, live tiles are not an argument! The games hub actually is some kind of a folder as well. Why should I not be able to create custom ones?
*Apps: I'd say progress is pretty fine regarding app availability. But again, if you want to be the big fish in the pond, this should be standard. We don't want to be like BlackBerry, do we?

Last edited:

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
  • Then why can Google and Apple release updates faster, explain that to me.
  • The start screen is a notification centre? So I have to pin everything that sends notifications to my start screen (which btw, only medium and large tiles show information).

Apple releases once per year. The last major Android release was in 2011.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So while 4.3 may have been an update that has few changes users see, it is merely one of several updates over the last year -- with a major upgrade having occurred about a year ago (Ice Cream Sandwich to Jellybean) and a second major upgrade expected by the end of the year.

ICS to JB was 4.0 to 4.1. Not a major revision. Anything thats a X.Y.A to X.Y.B is hardly worth mentioning, and more a consequence of a less rigid update structure in Android (like implementing BT4.0 support a month after the rest of GDR2 would be for WP8.)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My fear is based on Microsoft's past, they have a very bad track record when it comes to mobile products. They get in, they play a couple of years, find that they are having trouble making a profit, and they get out. I'm afraid Microsoft is trying to evaluate where they are with their mobile products. While I don't believe they are ready to give up, my fear is that we are seeing the mobile side become less of a priority.

Thats exactly it right there, i think MS is spending so much time re-considering the value of Windows Phone rather that dedicating a full tilt into the division. I love my WP8, came from Android (and had a WP7.5 before that) because the OS is AWESOME. With that said, i got my L920 in May and gotta say i can stand behind the people asking for a more aggressive approach to updates/features rather than what seems to be a pretty laid back attitude. It does bother me when i hear "We will get support for most apps by the end of the year!" or not giving us a defined understanding of whats to come to the mobile OS by the end of the year. Originally i thought MS were doing this to hold back anticipation, but now im thinking that they're considering if the investment is worth the reward.

I dont think MS need to apply updates each month...but i think they need to address the features that many people consider 'niche' or standard. i want to stick with WP as i love the platform, but if i continue to see Android/Apple continue evolving and WP is at a stand still by end of year...i may jump ship again.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think Android gave WP one year of rest while it sorts things out for its new kernel, you see Android has the same problem Win CE had, Its a bottle necked situation, Android choose to pump quality enhancements updates 4.X , while they perfected the new kernel in Android 5.0, believe me guys if Microsoft doesn't capitalize on Android 5.0 being late, Android will not be beaten like EVER.
Android will finally stop lagging if it dropped the old kernel and WP's only card against it will be lost.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
What people seem to forget is that this competition is a race where Android and iOS seem to be miles ahead of WP. Who would place bets on the 3rd one in a race if he doesn't run noticably faster than the leading pair? Having live tiles is cool and I love them, but unfortunately they are no dealbreakers.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Exact same feeling and 8.1 will be the final test to see if I'm staying or not.

LoL, mine is different, for me 8.1 will be the semifinal if I'm gonna jump to WP or not..... :D as I use Android and can wait for sometimes but phones like 1020 make me very impatient... :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The new Android version "4.3" has very little noticeable changes. Not every update is going to be earth shattering, just saying.

True but when you're behind, you must catch up asap. 7 to 7.5 was the biggest move we have ever seen. So not every update but some must bring earth shattering features.

And, if you look carefully, 4.3 brings more FEATURES(mostly under the hood) than GDR2...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans