WP 8.1 might come sooner that I thought

mm77

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is not slow. Android and iOS only release new features every year. Windows Phone 8 has added features every couple months. They know what they are doing. Unless you are trying to argue that you could run things better yourself, then I don't think you have a valid argument.

Only if MS came with features today instead of tomorrow, we wouldn't have to whine about it on the forums.

Just to add my two bits of wants
1. Support to sync e-mail drafts (doesn't work on an Outlook/Hotmail on account on my 920 and 800)
2. A unified notification centre (Miss it from my 3GS)
3. Improvements for the FB messaging sync, loads of messages don't get directed to my messaging app (need to open the fb app or log on from a PC)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
it's not until next year. and not jan. 1st next year, more like july next year. Microsoft is slow.

If MS releases it on Jan first, us Verizon customers will have to wait till May or so for it to be released, like we are waiting for GDR2.... More BS from Microsoft saying at the Windows phone 8 press statement that Microsoft would control OS releases, Not the carriers.... remember that ???? There is a lot of that little BS that they pretty much lied about in that press statement.... To Joe...Put up or shut up...

I wish the experts over at XDA could find a hack for WP8 that would allow us to manually install updates like we could with WP 7.X..... So when GDR3 hits we are not waiting 2-3 months for the carriers to "test" it....AKA drop the ball on releasing it...

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If MS releases it on Jan first, us Verizon customers will have to wait till May or so for it to be released, like we are waiting for GDR2....

Haven't none of the carrier locked devices received GDR2 yet? Including AT&T? I agree that it's dumb we haven't gotten it yet, but I'm not sure this is the time for Verizon "woe is me"-ness.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought RTM was in August, putting the consumer release around October or so? Maybe I'm wrong.

You might be right on that, thought I had seen it otherwise.
Yes. I don't remember which site I read it on, but I looked it up yesterday because I wanted to be sure before answering a friend's question. Microsoft announced at WPC that 8.1 will RTM at the end of August.

Ok - quick Bing turns up this official word:
Windows at WPC 2013

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
When I went to my local ATT store a windows rep said pretty much the same thing....he said it should be coming out in the fall or early winter...we will see.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that the rep was thinking GDR3. Remember that there is supposed to be a GDR3 release between GDR2 (which the 1020 already has) and 8.1. Also, it makes sense given what we currently know about GDR3, which is that it is supposed to provide some back-end updates that allow things like quad core processors, higher resolutions, etc.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
congratulations, you found a clueless chat support rep.

Heh, so true. Nothing against the OP, but sales rep and these people over at support don't know any more than we do when it comes to future version or future devices. They might get a nice PDF with all the info about the update when its out though.

Why these kind of things raise up and give hope to so many in so many threads as people go asking these things, is that unfortunately while there are people on customer support who know what they are talking about, there's at least 2 or more that don't. So they just say stuff.

There's no substantial leaks about GDR3 yet, let alone 8.1. GDR2 isn't even on a mass update yet.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
We can shut the door on this rumor, I think.

8.1 is an important update. Cannot see them pushing it out without a major "COME ONE!! COME ALL!! COME SEE THE AMAZING OS UNDER THE MICROSOFT BIG TOP!!" announcement.

Windows 8.1 surely comes first. No offense should be taken by any of us to think that Windows is way more important to MS then WP. I could see a Jan WP 8.1 event. That would be good speed for a MS announcement. They really do not need it before that- GDR3 will bring hi def screens, phablets, and a host of other goodies (quad core?? The most over rated hardware option on mobile today, but I think that is coming too?? ) So with those new devices to carry WP through the holidays, 8.1 can wait until early in the year 2014.

Which is a bummer for me, because by Jan/Feb, I need to have made a decision on a carrier/device. 8.1 at the holidays would make that a lot easier.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
for those of us that have Windows 8 already I think the store will have it probably mid to end of august, new stuff from ms and oems will be available October probably

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, what if they scrap GDR3 and roll it all into 8.1 launching this fall. At some point I read they were going to port a number of the features to GDR3 anyway, so why not delay a month or two and release the whole thing

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, what if they scrap GDR3 and roll it all into 8.1 launching this fall. At some point I read they were going to port a number of the features to GDR3 anyway, so why not delay a month or two and release the whole thing

yeah, and when the holiday of Q4 is coming, this will be a good chance to spread out WP8.1 and increase the marketshare

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK GDR4 is = to WP8.1 and that won't be coming till late next year

Late next year? I don't think so. Most journalist are under the understanding that it would be early 2014 like January. If they make us wait for over a year from now, then WP8.1 won't really be in sync with W8.1.

The point of these two updates is to get the two OSes more in sync with each other both in functionality and release timeframe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre