Does anyone using a L920 have issues with data slowing to a crawl while on a voice call? Is this a problem with all Nokia devices, or just mine? Keep getting data not available check connections error.
    07-30-2013 10:34 AM
    Yes on ALL devices you will have that issue. Indeed data should not work while on voice calls. You cannot use radio for 2G and 3G simultaneously! So when on voice call you are essentially using 2G for your data. Once you hang up, you have 2G for text, calls and data and 3G for data.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2013 10:37 AM
    Haha madness I was just on a call there and my H+ changed to E , it was a good bit slower alright but had to turn of WiFi to test it, some coincidence with the timing of your comment ! On Vodafone Ireland by the way
    07-30-2013 10:38 AM
    Yes on ALL devices you will have that issue. Indeed data should not work while on voice calls. You cannot use radio for 2G and 3G simultaneously! So when on voice call you are essentially using 2G for your data. Once you hang up, you have 2G for text, calls and data and 3G for data.
    This goes against everything I've read about this. Why would using 2G prevent you from using 3G at the same time? They are completely different radios.
    07-30-2013 10:39 AM
    This goes against everything I've read about this. Why would using 2G prevent you from using 3G at the same time? They are completely different radios.
    A simple Google search will explain you how this hasn't ever worked for anyone - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...ox-a&gws_rd=cr

It is network provider dependent and MOST networks will drop you down to 2G when on voice call - that's much better for voice and text.
    07-30-2013 10:41 AM
    What carrier do you have?

If you have AT&T, you will get 3G, not LTE, when you are using voice/data simultaneously. That is because AT&T does not yet have LTE-Advanced.

Once LTE-Advanced is available and devices have the proper radios, everything will use the LTE network (including voice), and the speeds should not be reduced.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    07-30-2013 10:43 AM
    A simple Google search will explain you how this hasn't ever worked for anyone - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...ox-a&gws_rd=cr
    This is usually a limitation based on the carrier. For example, CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon have this problem. I can GUARENTEE you that this works on AT&T.
    07-30-2013 10:44 AM
    This is usually a limitation based on the carrier. For example, CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon have this problem. I can GUARENTEE you that this works on AT&T.
    Pure CDMA (without LTE or WiFi) will not even do data simultaneously along with voice.
    07-30-2013 10:49 AM
    Pure CDMA (without LTE or WiFi) will not even do data simultaneously along with voice.
    That's exactly what I was saying :)
    07-30-2013 10:50 AM
    Actually that used to be true. Verizon did upgrade their CDMA network to do voice and data at the same time over 3G. It first launched with the HTC Thunderbolt. However, that was the same time 4G started to roll out and I don't think they really required all devices to do it, but at least the Thunderbolt did.. Was pretty cool too. The voice and data part... not the Thunderbolt... that thing blew.
    07-30-2013 10:59 AM
    This is my 5th L920, I don't recall my data speeds being reduced to this level when using my previous phones while on voice calls
    07-30-2013 11:03 AM
    Just did a quick test... no speed drop on Verizon LTE when a call is connected. (Lumia 928)
    Actually that used to be true. Verizon did upgrade their CDMA network to do voice and data at the same time over 3G. It first launched with the HTC Thunderbolt. However, that was the same time 4G started to roll out and I don't think they really required all devices to do it, but at least the Thunderbolt did.. Was pretty cool too. The voice and data part... not the Thunderbolt... that thing blew.
    The HTC Thunderbolt was the first LTE device available from Verizon. Yes, that thing was known for eating battery for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    The HTC Thunderbolt was the first LTE device available from Verizon. Yes, that thing was known for eating battery for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Yeah, and the entire time I had it I didn't even have LTE yet, so I couldn't enjoy it. SVDO was nice but it's not like i used it that much though.... I think the GS3 had it, but the Note II did not...
    07-30-2013 11:06 AM
    Just performed speed test while on a call.

Download speed was 1.35mb on speed test.net and 0mb on network speed test
    07-30-2013 11:12 AM
    When I'm calling on AT&T LTE, it goes to H+. Not bad, but would like LTE. Waiting for HD Voice though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2013 11:19 AM
    That's only true for CDMA phones, not ALL devices. As mentioned, on AT&T network, you can have both.
    07-30-2013 12:17 PM
    When I'm calling on AT&T LTE, it goes to H+. Not bad, but would like LTE. Waiting for HD Voice though.
    That will require one of the two things in order for LTE data while on voice call:
    1. Two radios, one for GSM voice call, one for LTE data. That will eat your battery real quick.
    2. Use Voice over LTE for voice call. Only Verizon is experimenting this. Not support in any of current phones or deployed in any network yet.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2013 12:19 PM
    My 920 drops to 4G HSPA+ when I get on a call. It's the same thing on my HTC One. I can definitely feel the slow down in browsing during a call but I've got to deal with it. I had to deal with 3G on my LG Quantum for a year.
    07-30-2013 03:40 PM
    That will require one of the two things in order for LTE data while on voice call:
    1. Two radios, one for GSM voice call, one for LTE data. That will eat your battery real quick.
    2. Use Voice over LTE for voice call. Only Verizon is experimenting this. Not support in any of current phones or deployed in any network yet.
    I'm saying it would be nice for it to have it, not that it should be now, as currently it would eat battery life. I think there might be another way though.
    08-01-2013 12:01 AM
    I am not a network engineer however I have worked for one of the largest carriers in Australia for many, many year. As far as I know most carriers (the ones here in Australia anyway) do not support simultaneous voice and data on the same radio. This means that when you are in a 3G or 3.5G coverage area and you make or receive a voice call on 3G your data will be off loaded to a radio which is not being used, in most cases 2G. If you are in a 4G coverage area and you make or receive a voice call, your data will be off loaded to the 3G or 2G radio which would make for a significant reduction in DL speed. Some other carrier around the world do not support voice services over 4G so for these luck customers they will maintain a 4G data connection even when they are making or receiving a voice call on the 3G radio.

Just so you know our network speeds in Australia are defined as below

2G - Edge/GPRS
    3G
    3.5G - HSDPA+ or Next G
    4G - LTE
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-01-2013 12:53 AM
    Just did a quick test... no speed drop on Verizon LTE when a call is connected. (Lumia 928)
    Isn't this the case because voice is going over CDMA and data over the LTE modem? I'm not aware of Verizon doing voice over LTE anywhere yet (although I do believe they were going to trial it in their Alaska buildout).
    08-01-2013 01:50 AM
    Isn't this the case because voice is going over CDMA and data over the LTE modem? I'm not aware of Verizon doing voice over LTE anywhere yet (although I do believe they were going to trial it in their Alaska buildout).
    Yeah, good point, that's it. However, once they go to VoLTE, it will just be data packets like anything else so you should be able to maintain great speeds while on voice calls. Though I'm sure the carriers will find a way to charge us for "minutes" even though it's just data.. Heck, they will probably charge us for minutes, and data against our caps. :)
    08-01-2013 08:32 AM