Weaker Cellular Connection with Windows Phone?

touchthatpad106

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Let me forward this post by saying I have had almost 2 phones always on me in the past year while I have noticed this issue. Most were android phones however I did use a Pre 3 and also observed this from seeing others in the same places as me.
I have had 3 Windows Phone in the past year, the HTC Radar, HTC 8X, and currently the Lumia 521.
In every instance if I am in an area of bad service the Windows Phone is always the first phone to lose service completely. In some areas I have a weak connection with the other phone, but I still have a connection. The Windows Phone just cuts out.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this. It's one or the reasons I have a hard time recommending Windows Phone and after using 3 of them I think it's safe to say it's not a phone issue. What are your experiences or thoughts?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't say that has been my experience using the following in the past year and a half: 900, 920, 521, 710, iphone 4, Optimus G Pro and Z10. I never found that I was sacrificing on WP. Which carrier and whether the device (or plan) supported LTE made much more of a difference.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
While the OS does play a role in when a signal is dropped, the design of the handset itself also plays a major part. I live in a bit of a marginal signal area and have had a different experience to the OP. I swapped from a HTC Desire to a Sony Xperia S because the Desire constantly dropped calls at my house. The Xperia S proved much better in this regard, to the point that it almost never dropped a call. My daughter had a Huawei X5, which almost never got a signal at home (much to her frustration). My daughter now has a Lumia 620 and gets reasonable reception and very few dropped calls. I now have a Lumia 720 and would say that its on par with my Xperia S in terms of hanging on to calls - which is to say, very good. And to top it all off, my wife has a Huawei Sonic. This has the best reception of all the phones we have in the house, and is the cheapest by a long way!

So basically, I think your experience with three Windows Phones has less to do with the Windows Phone OS than it does with the handsets themselves.

touchthatpad106

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
@OzRob You are very right on that front. My HTC One is amazing however my HTC One S got faster data speeds and a had a stronger connection. I just thought it was really odd that with 3 Windows Phones I had the same experience. Maybe it was just a perfect storm of phones I used. I'm glad no one else has really experienced this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My8X does better than my Rezound and better than my wife's Note 2. I've also had a Lumia 822 that was pretty solid. The HTC Trophy that got my started in windows phone was abysmal.

bijendra

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA
So... how was the cellular connection before she melted down?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Was in a bad weather in a remote area with gs3 ip4s ip4 xperia and my 920 was the only one with out GPS signal.

GPS doesn't use the cellular network (except to speed up location detection), so poor GPS sensitivity is not related to cellular radio sensitivity.

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I switch from Verizon to ATT last November so I had a slight decline in signal quality anyways, but I seem to be on par if not better than my brothers iphone. Seem to be the same as the wife's S3 too but the signals seem to update differently. I just which we could see the actual signal strength in db like we can on androids.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I switch from Verizon to ATT last November so I had a slight decline in signal quality anyways

Interesting. When I went from Verizon to AT&T my signal strength and quality universally went up. But I digress.

To the OP, over the past 6 months I've had an iPhone 4S, a Lumia 520, and a Lumia 920. I have not noticed any signal strength differences between the three; where the 4S would lose signal, so would the 520 and 920 and vice-versa. *shrug*

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720