If WP8 gets big, do you think Samsung comes in and bulldoze Nokia out the way?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
But, it used to be HTC = Android.

You know history.

Samsung can undercut price very well and their supply chain is super strong.
They may not make best optics or offer nice maps but they can easily pay developers or bribe or whatever to make their devices sell like hot cakes and bring tonnes of exclusives.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung can do well with windows phone if they choose. They are very good at marketing and they seem to have a good feel for what people want in a phone. As popular as nokia is among the windows phone crowd Samsung has even more name recognition with people.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Like Dave says, I hope they do try. It will take a lot to bulldoze Nokia, being the top dog on WP right now. It can only benefit us consumers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lower prices. Samsung can and will beat you on prices.

People seem to love large screen, lightweight plastic devices at a affordable price.

Riddle me this, the L521 is $130 at Wal-Mart (no strings attached) and there are still some i917 Focus phones on eBay going for that money. Which would you choose?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Riddle me this, the L521 is $130 at Wal-Mart (no strings attached) and there are still some i917 Focus phones on eBay going for that money. Which would you choose?
L521, because it's a more advanced operating system of course? :D

My opinion: Samsung could try, but when people see how crappy the hardware is, they won't buy them. Nokia has always been looked at as a great OEM since the beginning of their partnership with Microsoft. Nokia takes good materials and makes good build quality, although the lower end phones are plasticky and to most people seem somehow "cheap". Samsung can try, but we've all seen their success with Ativ S - oh, there almost isn't any :)

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use a Samsung Ativ S, 3 reasons:

1. SD Card support
2. Removable Battery
3. Available on my carrier.

Nokia in Canada gave exclusive to Rogers so I was not able to even consider it. I will never purchase a phone without removable battery and Sd card if a compatible phone offers them.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off, I feel we need to step back here and realize that Samsung is not #1 right now because they make poopy-caa-caa phones. Yes, their lower end, inexpensive devices are cheap and unsupported as soon as they go out the door. But Samsung does high end devices amazingly well. Anyone who has owned a top end Sammy usually comes back for another top end Sammy, the best endorsement of a device. Also, remember Sammy was putting out the Focus/Omni series for WP 7 which were very well reviewed and enjoyed by those that owned them, myself being one.

That being said, what exactly outside of deep pockets does Sammy offer that Nokia doesn't? (Don't get me started on HTC. I am done with them until I am convinced they are a better company.) Low end? Nokia way better supports their devices. High end? Tell that story walking. MS is more responsible on the software side for problems. Nokia hardware and support paddles Sammy in most cases. Heck, I will take the Asha series feature phones if Nokia over Samsungs feature phones. Just higher quality, compressed data capabilities, support and updates, pick it.

Samsung could seriously mount a WP challenge. Of course- money talks and Samsung can put together a great device. But Nokia wouldn't blink. And in not blinking, Nokia would have already won.

Last edited:

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

You honestly think Samsung can't make the exact same phone for a cheaper price? There is absolutely nothing special about the L521/520 that prevents Samsung from making the exact same phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You honestly think Samsung can't make the exact same phone for a cheaper price? There is absolutely nothing special about the L521/520 that prevents Samsung from making the exact same phone.

So why haven't they? Simple. At the lower price points people are looking to get the most bang for their hard-earned bucks and Nokia is known for quality. Don't get me wrong, Samsung does make some good products but if I'm looking at a Hyundai and a Volvo with the same features and the same pricing, it's no contest.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So why haven't they? Simple. At the lower price points people are looking to get the most bang for their hard-earned bucks and Nokia is known for quality. Don't get me wrong, Samsung does make some good products but if I'm looking at a Hyundai and a Volvo with the same features and the same pricing, it's no contest.

Again, I said a lower price. Exact same specced phone.

Sure you'll get Nokia if you want quality hardware, but as evidence by the worldwide phone market share people don't really care.

I honestly don't have any clue why Samsung doesn't push more Windows phones. If I were to guess, I'd say they're more interested in pushing their own chips than purchasing Snap Dragons.

Just guess.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has came too far in its relationship with MS and also has a great knowledge of the system, it would be hard to compete with that on the short run.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Again, I said a lower price. Exact same specced phone.

Sure you'll get Nokia if you want quality hardware, but as evidence by the worldwide phone market share people don't really care.

I honestly don't have any clue why Samsung doesn't push more Windows phones. If I were to guess, I'd say they're more interested in pushing their own chips than purchasing Snap Dragons.

Just guess.

I think you're underestimating Nokia. Nokia has been making low cost devices in high volume around the world for many years.

They know how to make low cost phones, and they have the existing systems in place to complete with ANYONE in the emerging markets.

It really want that long ago that they were #1 in the world. But they attempted to stay in the game with their own Nokia ecosystem while other companies adopted more robust ecosystems. Nokia was worrying about hardware and software, but was late to that game.

Now that ecosystem part is largely being taken care of by one of the most most powerful software company in the world. So Nokia can focus on what they do best.

But the elements of Nokia's ecosystem still exist. They still have relationships based off of that.

Nokia also has an ace up its sleeve.

Because they are exclusive, they have access to lower levels of the WP code. They can customize things to a level that other OEMs simply can't. And I imagine that they won't use this unless they have real competition.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
We will see when GDR3 released. If they released their high end phones and mass produce every range of screen sizes to every carrier like they are currently doing with Android, Samsung will have a good chance. Nokia doesn't bring their high end phones to all carriers at the same time. They don't have the cash to do advertising like Samsung. They have to give exclusive to certain carrier in hope they can do advertising for them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not certain why Samsung doesn't push more Windows phones either, but I'm sure it isn't the fact that they are forced to use Qualcomm's chips instead of their own. Even for their own Galaxy S4 they use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600, and they do so out of their own free will. This isn't even a rare occurrence. Samsung actually supplies the entire U.S. predominantly with Snapdragon powered Galaxy S4s! If Samsung has no issue doing so for their most popular Android device, then they'll certainly have no issues doing the same for WP. The "few" extra Snapdragon chips they'll buy and ship with their WP devices will barely show up on their radar.

My guess is that Samsung simply has little to no interest in supporting WP, as it just doesn't line up with their own mobile strategy. They either want control over their proprietary version of Android, or they want to establish Tizen. WP stands in the way of achieving either goal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb