Shop Holiday deals at:Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Microsoft | Dell

11-08-2014 02:14 PM
124 1234 ...
tools
    Is it just me or does it seem like when you're in a crowd of people 9/10 people have a damn iPhone?
    08-03-2013 09:38 AM
    I find this slightly amusing. As I have posted here before, I spend time talking to people, seeing how they use their phone, what they would like to do with it, what they don't, and base my recimendation on that. I absolutely would recomend Android to some people, iPhone to a few if I thought it would better suit them.

Then, they go out, forget everything we had talked about, buy what the salesman points them to, and come back to me later and are unhappy. A couple of times those that I know would have loved WP went with an iPhone or Android. Drives me to tears.....
    08-03-2013 09:47 AM
    Is it just me or does it seem like when you're in a crowd of people 9/10 people have a damn iPhone?
    I feel the same way! At work when we all go to break, everyone whips out an iPhone! There's one Android and I'm the odd one with a Windows phone lol

Most say it looks cool but the lack of apps is a turn off.
    08-03-2013 09:50 AM
    Its funny as I supply WP8 to my employees and they initially run the Phone in tandem with their iPhone or android Phone but then after a month ditch their other Phone due to the fact the wp is more user friendly. I have them wanting to buy my old wp7 device for family members so they can bring them to the wp world. One staff member I refused to sell an old wp7 to so he purchased the same device on eBay because he thought it was so easy to use. Another staff member whom I gave a Lumia 720 asked me "why do people buy iPhones" he ditched an android Phone and could not understand why his mate purchased an iPhone.
    christenmartin and snowmutt like this.
    08-03-2013 09:54 AM
    I find this slightly amusing. As I have posted here before, I spend time talking to people, seeing how they use their phone, what they would like to do with it, what they don't, and base my recimendation on that. I absolutely would recomend Android to some people, iPhone to a few if I thought it would better suit them.

Then, they go out, forget everything we had talked about, buy what the salesman points them to, and come back to me later and are unhappy. A couple of times those that I know would have loved WP went with an iPhone or Android. Drives me to tears.....
    Can totally relate. I put all this effort in to figuring out what I think ( which isn't always right, imagine that) a person would want than they get what the sales man tells them. I usually get all pissed off and ask them what the hell. Then the answer comes back: It's just a phone". Hmmm .... Makes me wonder who the dumbass is.
    snowmutt and James8561 like this.
    08-03-2013 09:56 AM
    I noticed that too a year or two ago, but lately I would say I see more Androids, usually S3's or S4's. Just a couple weeks ago I saw my first ever WP in the wild (not counting a Verizon rep who carries a couple phones).
    08-03-2013 10:05 AM
    To the OP. Windows Phone is change... People sometimes don't like change. Answer the questions you can give good advice whenever possible. If you can't help them send them here we can. Lets get them a few days/weeks into owning a Windows Phone and they will discover what we have.

"Nothing an Android or iPhone can do is worth giving up what Windows Phone does better!"
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 08-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    08-03-2013 10:25 AM
    Yes, whenever I fly, and the plane lands, I notice everyone whipping out their iPhones. At work, most people have iPhones. Granted, the iMessage is a new feature. I guess having it integrate with their pad, and Mac computers is nice. I had a 3G and enjoyed it, but of all the OS's I tried, I like Android the best. I'm still learning Windows Phone 8 with my Lumia 520. There are some nice, convenient things such as bluetooth transfer of files, easy loading of music on phone. I couldn't do this with the iPhone except using a 3rd party program (Copy Trans) to add music.

I bought my wife an iPhone 4, and she loves it. She's is absolutely not a tech person at all, but she familiarized herself with it quickly. Practically everyone in her extended family has an iPhone, so messaging them is good for her. I don't think she really uses anything but the camera, email, iMessage, notes, and occasional surfing on Safari. I haven't seen her use any 3rd party apps.

I'm not sure if I would recommend WP8 to anyone who is already invested in another OS ecosystem. However, as a previous poster noted, a new user may be a good candidate. Maybe as market share increases for WP8, we may see more Google apps that would improve my user experience immensely.
    08-03-2013 10:43 AM
    As a 25+ year computer tech/network admin I have to disagree with those saying WP is for smart phone beginners. I have been using the Windows Mobile platform for years. There are plenty of apps for WP that help me immensely in my work. Remote desktop, team viewer, one note, office, to name just a few. My phone is far from a toy and anyone who sees what can be done is very impressed.

My daughter recently traded her iPhone for a L920. She loves it and she has a few of her friends ready to switch to WP. This is surprising considering it's a bunch of teenage girls.
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    08-03-2013 11:08 AM
    I tried with my wife.... And it was the app problem that was the doom for Windows Phone 8 with her. She actually showed me about 5 apps she uses every day on the iPhone and the lumia 928, as there were "replacements" or official apps. There were no question that the apps on iPhone were more advanced and with more features.

Then there is the group messaging thing that Verizon disabled and that that was the nail on the coffin....(a feature she uses almost every day).

With this being said, I have had a few people ask "what phone is that" and I told them, there might be about 10 extra users but, I always show the flaws with the advantages...
    08-03-2013 11:13 AM
    Don't recommend. Let them decide for themselves. I don't get paid by ms to sell their product so I don't.
    AngrySprintUser likes this.
    08-03-2013 11:20 AM
    Chances are you shouldn't have recommended it in the first place. While I'm a WP fanboy, I wont recommend it to someone who is like "herpderp games and apps zomgomgomg!" cos it's obvious they won't be satisfied.
    08-03-2013 11:25 AM
    I know the feeling dude, I love Nokia and WP and I am personally responsible for 5 people switching but will never again recommend one because the hard truth is that our platform is not mature enough yet and it has to be a personal decision.
    08-03-2013 11:37 AM
    Recommendation mileage will vary.

I convinced a friend who is currently on his third WP device (ATIV S) and his sister has the same, and he bought another for his GF (920). He loves the platform. My roommate is also now a diehard WP lover and is on his third device (520). My mom loves it because its durable and my little sister can't break it (900). My sister is a huge fan of it (620), because it was affordable and takes pictures a ton better than her old blackberry.

My other sister however got an iPhone got it stolen at a party and is on the path to repeat it again with a different carrier. My brother won't give up his blackberry and posts on FB at least once a month for people to add his BBM#. My other brother got a Note II and broke it and is currently using a flip-phone because he can't sign another contract until he pays off his old device.
    08-03-2013 11:44 AM

The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.
    I have issues with WP8, they are becoming more apparent over time these days...especially all the vague promises but lets not get into that.

The one thing I do love about WP8 is the keyboard, I find it exceptionally responsive and spend a lot less time correcting myself compared to iPhone or Android stock (im not counting swype or swift). I do find its one of the OSs best features and keeps me satisfied.
    08-03-2013 11:48 AM
    I've been recommending the L1020 lately but only due to the camera. I normally wait for people to ask me about my L920.
    08-03-2013 12:01 PM
    It's funny reading all of the posts here. I'm reminded of the debates I have with my wife over what her next phone should be. I'm dead set on WP8, but she has flopped from the latest iPhone to the S4 and Neo. I think she has killed the idea of an iPhone, but Samsung will be her choice...but which one? I prefer to just share the pros/cons of each OS/device and let the person decide what to get. As for my wife, she is too afraid of what she would be missing out on if she doesn't get what I get. However she is constantly fussing out HTC and Android on a daily basis. I've told her that WP8 just works and has that same simplistic flow like iOS. I don't want to hear any complaints about me talking anyone into anything unless it is one of my customers. I can make it right for them. Therefore, it's best to have them weigh their needs and desires along with hands-on time to make an intelligent choice. This way they are able to live with the choice since they can only blame themselves.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2013 12:20 PM
    When I bought my 920, my mom also bought an 820. I was very clear to her that I was buying a windows phone for my reasons, and that she needed to try out all her options and make her own decision. For her, the 820 was her first smartphone, and she loves it, but she had no preconceptions about features.

For me, 7 months later, I still think that as a choice of hardware, the 920 was the best I could have gotten at the time, and for the most part, I like the OS, except for missing smartphone features like independent volume controls, a reliable notification system, and customisable sounds. I'm very disappointed that the app ecosystem is developing so slowly.

I'm also really frustrated with all the "love it or leave it" trolling on these forums. No phone is perfect, and Windows phone is 75% of the phone I want, Android is maybe 65% and iphone is 50%. That doesn't mean I don't miss the app ecoysystem, notifications, and basic customisabiliy from my old android phone. I still keep it charged and use it almost daily because there are still apps on it that either absent or crippled on Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2013 12:59 PM
    Nope. Everyone that I know that has switched to WP8 loves their phones. Hence the reason I really hate being with Sprint. HTH

Just a pure fact of my life that is so annoying. I have at least two friend's, and two family members who switched from iPhones to WP8 phones based on my recommendations.

Now, ever since all they do is complain to me non stop about it all the time. They complain about the lack of apps, complain about missing Features the iPhone has, yada yadda yadda. One of them is even convinced that windows 8 phone has a bug that automatically turns the phone volume down. I know its just them accidentally holding the volume down button on their nokia 820 when they are on the phone....

Its so annoying because I love my WP8 phone and I'm sick listening to their crap and having to defend it constantly.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    08-03-2013 01:01 PM
    isheep
    08-03-2013 01:04 PM
    isheep
    So , people using WP8/W8/RT are "8sheep" ? Flawed Logic
    FinancialP likes this.
    08-03-2013 01:34 PM
    Hehe my friends call me a w8ter. Cause I'm waiting on gdr2 update and a few official scraggling apps.
    its all in good fun though. Some people just need to loosen up their drawers. I use all three so I guess I'm a
    Dr8ep or you can just call me curtain :P
    08-03-2013 01:57 PM
    You're clearly a gemini
    08-03-2013 04:09 PM
    I've been a loyal Windows Phone user now since the Lumia 900. Since then I've owned the Lumia 920, Lumia 720, HTC 8X, and now the Lumia 1020 and I love each one better than the last :-) Fortunately I have a lot of lines on my account and I'm always stealing upgrades. Although I bought the 720 off eBay since it's not available in the US.

Anyway - my family and friends who saw me now ditching iPhones to go to Windows Phones wondered what was up and they asked me why. I told them and they seemed like they were interested in the phone and they all said "When my renewal is up, I'm getting one."

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said $h!t to them because now all they do is ***** to me about it.

Personally, I think the iPhone is lame/old/boring and Windows Phone is alive and refreshing. The biggest thing they always nag me about is that "so and so has this app, but of course I can't get it!" That's an exact quote I heard. I point out the alternatives 3rd-party apps but then they ***** and moan about how it's not free (like on iPhone). That's probably the one I hear the most.

The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.

Anyway, I don't know. It just annoys me. It's like someone telling me my kid is a retard or something when I know he's really a genius haha
    Well, just tell them it was their choice because you're just one voice in millions of people switching to WP. WP works for you, it might not work for them.

The apps is a big thing really, but I point out to people, ok so they have that app, will you actually use it? Will you actually still be using it a month from now? Get apps you use, not just because people have it. I understand the want for certain apps, but I feel like these days people are just downloading apps because so and so has it, not because they actually are going to use the apps.

In regards to the keyboard, the reason why its harder for them? The screen is just that much wider than the iPhone (for most of the WP8 devices anyways). They aren't used to how wide it is. I complain all the time when I have to type on an iOS device because its so cramped (Android is another story), but I realized that's because I came from a Lumia 900 which is wider than the iPhone. People who haven't really used a smartphone, from my experience, applaud the WP8 keyboard, especially the nice sound it makes.

It is frustrating, it's as you described, being called something when you really know you aren't, and you're backed by some millions of people.
    08-03-2013 04:30 PM
    So , people using WP8/W8/RT are "8sheep" ? Flawed Logic
    That ain't even a word!
    08-03-2013 04:31 PM
124 1234 ...