11-08-2014 02:14 PM
124 12345
tools
    To each their own. What phone gives Xbox Music, Xbox games, Microsoft Office, seamless Outlook sync and beautiful UI? Those who keep moaning about apps have done so since last three years. I've always found it pointless as apps ain't the reason I chose WP or any other phone for that matter.
    08-03-2013 04:38 PM
    Recommending Windows Phone isn't much of a problem here in Sweden and Finland as all know about Windows Phone or have tested it. That also means most of the time that they have made their mind already.

Recommending phones is complicated. I would not recommend Windows Phone to somebody who maybe doesn't know all that much about phones in general, but uses his Android or iOS phones apps and feature set quite heavily. Though Windows phone has gone down nicely to those people who just look for simple smartphone. Thing i find a bit troublesome with WP still is that I'm not seeing young people still using them.

It's part of Windows Phone weakness at not being up to Android and iOS in features and apps, part of people expecting the exact same way of doing things from the new OS.
    08-03-2013 04:43 PM
    You're clearly a gemini
    Hehe June14th #gemini
    08-03-2013 05:15 PM
    So , people using WP8/W8/RT are "8sheep" ? Flawed Logic
    No that doesn't sound as good as isheep. Nice try though
    08-03-2013 06:06 PM
    If they say there is a lack of apps,

Give 'em 6gram(?) Facebook, twitter alternatives, and the hardcore 3d games (Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3 and Halo Spartan Assault.)
    Oh yeah, don't forget Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja and those 165,000 apps that definitely shows the "lack" of apps. Fill up the phone! :)
    08-03-2013 07:22 PM
    If they say there is a lack of apps,

Give 'em 6gram(?) Facebook, twitter alternatives, and the hardcore 3d games (Modern Combat 4, NOVA 3 and Halo Spartan Assault.)
    Oh yeah, don't forget Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja and those 165,000 apps that definitely shows the "lack" of apps. Fill up the phone! :)
    I just starting using WP this last Monday. I have been wanting to try the OS out for a while, but had been talked out of it because of the "lack of apps". I use all types of apps from social media, to productivity to specific work related apps. I have not had one issue with finding what I need. The apps may or may not be the same app that is on iOS or Android, but they get the same job done and in many cases are more smooth and better looking. I don't play many games, but there is no lack of those on WP either.

Bottom line is that the "lack of apps" excuse just doesn't hold a lot of water with me. Like I said, I used to think that was the case. It's not.
    Th3 I3LooD, LMZR and a5cent like this.
    08-03-2013 08:29 PM
    I've had the same thing happen to me. My parents know that I'm in the Microsoft ecosystem, and I recommended the Lumia 928 since Verizon was finally getting a decent Windows Phone. They both got it, and overall they like it alright but my dad has mentioned several times how it's 'not a home run'. He's a big Craigslist user, and he complains that none of the available apps for Craigslist are as good as the official version for the iPhone. Likewise, my mom was disappointed that she couldn't use imessage anymore with my brother who has an iPhone, although she can use LINE now and is reasonably satisfied. I think a big thing too is just the fact that navigation in WP is quite a bit different in operation than the iPhone, using a back button. It's frustrating because honestly a lot of the potential of the MS ecosystem is just that, potential. That's why I have a Surface, Windows 8 desktop, and a Lumina 920, but it's still a ways off from being a super compelling total package.
    08-03-2013 09:28 PM
    Well, I've had WP since they came out and it's far from a home run. The phone has serious limitations. I tell people not to buy one.
    jpling likes this.
    08-03-2013 09:45 PM
    Unfortunately, I do not recommend WP8 to my friends. I really like my phone and the potential, and I am ok dealing with shortfalls to have something that I believe in. But, I know my friends won't be, and I am starting to lose my patients as well. WP8 has been out 10 months now. I expected many more improvements in that time. For everything I like about WP8, I still come across too many things that make me frustrated that I can't do on my phone in 2013 when I know other phones can. Why am I choosing to have a phone that can't do everything that I want it to do when I know that there are phones out there that can?

For me, the current deal breaker is no official MLB app. Every day I don't have it I get a little more fed up with WP8. If I got an offer to trade for a SG4 right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.
    Rndomuser and Oranges123 like this.
    08-03-2013 11:03 PM
    I will recommend any of the OSs. I currently use WP8, but I have them all. I don't see myself going to another platform either.

When people ask me what they should get, I respond with questions... My name is on the recommendations, so I make sure I give only what I believe will work for them... People know what the want to do, but don't know what they want.
    08-03-2013 11:12 PM
    Most people I've gotten to switch have mostly positive experiences, but I do get those common complaints even though I let them know the limitations before purchasing. For what ever reason I also find myself having to defend the platform. Its really silly because if you ever switch back you then miss wp8 in many ways.
    gravydre likes this.
    08-03-2013 11:16 PM
    I've converted three people so far. Two of them came from iPhones a Androids. Both love them. The third one was a first time smartphone user.
    08-03-2013 11:24 PM
    I've converted many people. Only one switched back to iPhone, my brother. He liked the 920, it was just too big, the OS lacked some stuff and was a bit newer, and the apps.
    08-03-2013 11:30 PM
    My stepfather saw the commercial with the Nokia Lumia 1020. He notices that I have one and he was like I want that phone lol.

The next day, I come home and he has a yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 lol. I was shocked because he is a diehard iPhone fan but he likes the Lumia solely for its camera lol.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-2013 11:34 PM
    My friend just got an iPhone 4s and i was checking it out. the interface is so boring, I can see how many of the iPhone addicts will like WP since it's so refreshing, smooth just like IOS and the tiles are so cool.

As long as people dont care about apps, Windows phone is a good alternative!
    08-04-2013 03:53 AM
    Tell them to go back to what suits them. Ppl say WP is for kids and a kids toy but yet grown ppl can't even figure out how to work a toy. Very disappointing.
    I like how you say it as if its simple, people pay for the things they buy, you know that right? some do it on contract for two years, some even sell what they used to own to get the money to buy a new phone, going back isn't always easy, will it is, but you will lose money on they.
    08-04-2013 04:06 AM
    I've recommended WP to five people (Friends, Uncle, Aunty and my Father.)

All of them are considering a Windows Phone as their next phone. :)
    08-04-2013 04:50 AM
    Unfortunately, I do not recommend WP8 to my friends. I really like my phone and the potential, and I am ok dealing with shortfalls to have something that I believe in. But, I know my friends won't be, and I am starting to lose my patients as well. WP8 has been out 10 months now. I expected many more improvements in that time. For everything I like about WP8, I still come across too many things that make me frustrated that I can't do on my phone in 2013 when I know other phones can. Why am I choosing to have a phone that can't do everything that I want it to do when I know that there are phones out there that can?

For me, the current deal breaker is no official MLB app. Every day I don't have it I get a little more fed up with WP8. If I got an offer to trade for a SG4 right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.
    Right. For example, I'm on a trip to Japan at the moment, and even though Bing maps has detailed information and roads here, WP8 uses Nokia maps, which makes Japan look like a barren wasteland. It's crazy. Obviously, it's a temporary issue for me, but it's inexcusable that a major country is totally missing from their map system. I love Windows Phone, but when I think about it, there's really not a whole lot to recommend it, other than the look and feel, and possibly Office integration. Really frustrating.
    08-04-2013 05:14 AM
    I do really believe Windows Phone is the most intuitive, most solid, most secure and most fluid mobile OS.
    The problem is that it is also the most different from other platforms and youngest, meaning that people that have grown accustomed to a certain smartphone OS will find the entirely different philosophy of the user interface limiting and alienating. and because it is the least mature it is behind on crucial apps, because lets face it, the lack of applications is by far the most detrimental factor to grow our platform right now!

The good news is that Nokia has made a promise that most, if not all of the "deal breaker" apps that are not available at the moment will be in the store by the end of this year, so by the end of next year Windows Phone will have matured both in apps and functionality to a point where all the irritating complaints we hear today will be a thing of the past. Thats not to say they wont find new things to complain about....

I have gotten my mother, brother, 2 close friends and 3 work colleagues to make the switch to Lumia Windows Phones and although I sometimes regret it, what I have noticed is that the more they get use to the OS and the more they learn to use their phones to its full potential the happier they are with it and the less they complain.
    08-04-2013 05:58 AM
    I do really believe Windows Phone is the most intuitive, most solid, most secure and most fluid mobile OS.
    The problem is that it is also the most different from other platforms and youngest, meaning that people that have grown accustomed to a certain smartphone OS will find the entirely different philosophy of the user interface limiting and alienating. and because it is the least mature it is behind on crucial apps, because lets face it, the lack of applications is by far the most detrimental factor to grow our platform right now!
    I don't really miss apps, I have everything I need. Missing enterprise features like VPN/DirectAccess and stability of OS itself on some devices like Lumia 925 are seriously bad. I have moved from old-fashioned iPhone4, but I am quite dissapointed about stability of WP8 on various devices.
    08-04-2013 06:50 AM
    You shouldn't be recommending products based on what suits you, but rather what suits the person. If they are stubborn about change, need a specific feature X or Y that isn't available, want to be in on the latest social media fad, playing the newest hit mobile games (ergh)… don't just recommend Windows Phone then leave them to deal with it. Nothing is for everybody.
    08-04-2013 07:10 AM
    I dont have a issue with apps either, everything I need and use daily is catered for, I agree that enterprise centric features is also a must and trust they know and will sort this shortcoming out soon.

As for you having stability issues on multiple devices boggles my mind! Windows Phone is the single most stable OS I have ever used and everyone I know that uses Nokia Windows Phones agree.
    08-04-2013 07:36 AM
    You know, never tell them to buy a phone. If they ask, show your phone, let them play with it, talk about some highlight of the WP, answer some questions and end there.
    cwbcpa71 and christenmartin like this.
    08-04-2013 10:15 AM
    A month or so after I got my 8x a former coworker came by the office and I showed her my new phone. She said, "I can't believe you bought that crap! I'm going to get a Note II as soon as I can. Android forever baby!" (Yes, she said it just like that.) I just laughed and went on to other subjects - never tried to convince her of anything, I had simply showed her my new phone.

Jump to 2 weeks ago when I see her again after a few months - she proudly pulls out her new Lumia 521 (she's on T-mobile) and proceeds to tell everyone how great it is. I remind her of her words a few months earlier and she laughs. And I never did anything to try to persuade her other than show her my phone. Go figure!
    cwbcpa71 and Th3 I3LooD like this.
    08-04-2013 10:43 AM
    I currently have a 920 for personal use and a BB Z10 for business use. Love both phones. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Love the form factor of my BB and the notifications, BB hub, but the 920 has a better camera and entertainment features. My daughter uses android and my wife and son have iphones. Will never get the iphones away from them, so I don't try. Like others have said, find out what a person wants out of their phone experience and go from there. I will show others what I like about my phone choices, but leave it to them to decide what is best for their situation.
    08-04-2013 10:57 AM
124 12345