Everyone i've recommended a WP8 Phone to endlessly complains!

lokiduck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Most people I've gotten to switch have mostly positive experiences, but I do get those common complaints even though I let them know the limitations before purchasing. For what ever reason I also find myself having to defend the platform. Its really silly because if you ever switch back you then miss wp8 in many ways.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've converted three people so far. Two of them came from iPhones a Androids. Both love them. The third one was a first time smartphone user.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I've converted many people. Only one switched back to iPhone, my brother. He liked the 920, it was just too big, the OS lacked some stuff and was a bit newer, and the apps.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My stepfather saw the commercial with the Nokia Lumia 1020. He notices that I have one and he was like I want that phone lol.

The next day, I come home and he has a yellow Nokia Lumia 1020 lol. I was shocked because he is a diehard iPhone fan but he likes the Lumia solely for its camera lol.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My friend just got an iPhone 4s and i was checking it out. the interface is so boring, I can see how many of the iPhone addicts will like WP since it's so refreshing, smooth just like IOS and the tiles are so cool.

As long as people dont care about apps, Windows phone is a good alternative!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Tell them to go back to what suits them. Ppl say WP is for kids and a kids toy but yet grown ppl can't even figure out how to work a toy. Very disappointing.

I like how you say it as if its simple, people pay for the things they buy, you know that right? some do it on contract for two years, some even sell what they used to own to get the money to buy a new phone, going back isn't always easy, will it is, but you will lose money on they.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've recommended WP to five people (Friends, Uncle, Aunty and my Father.)

All of them are considering a Windows Phone as their next phone. :)

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not recommend WP8 to my friends. I really like my phone and the potential, and I am ok dealing with shortfalls to have something that I believe in. But, I know my friends won't be, and I am starting to lose my patients as well. WP8 has been out 10 months now. I expected many more improvements in that time. For everything I like about WP8, I still come across too many things that make me frustrated that I can't do on my phone in 2013 when I know other phones can. Why am I choosing to have a phone that can't do everything that I want it to do when I know that there are phones out there that can?

For me, the current deal breaker is no official MLB app. Every day I don't have it I get a little more fed up with WP8. If I got an offer to trade for a SG4 right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Right. For example, I'm on a trip to Japan at the moment, and even though Bing maps has detailed information and roads here, WP8 uses Nokia maps, which makes Japan look like a barren wasteland. It's crazy. Obviously, it's a temporary issue for me, but it's inexcusable that a major country is totally missing from their map system. I love Windows Phone, but when I think about it, there's really not a whole lot to recommend it, other than the look and feel, and possibly Office integration. Really frustrating.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I do really believe Windows Phone is the most intuitive, most solid, most secure and most fluid mobile OS.
The problem is that it is also the most different from other platforms and youngest, meaning that people that have grown accustomed to a certain smartphone OS will find the entirely different philosophy of the user interface limiting and alienating. and because it is the least mature it is behind on crucial apps, because lets face it, the lack of applications is by far the most detrimental factor to grow our platform right now!

The good news is that Nokia has made a promise that most, if not all of the "deal breaker" apps that are not available at the moment will be in the store by the end of this year, so by the end of next year Windows Phone will have matured both in apps and functionality to a point where all the irritating complaints we hear today will be a thing of the past. Thats not to say they wont find new things to complain about....

I have gotten my mother, brother, 2 close friends and 3 work colleagues to make the switch to Lumia Windows Phones and although I sometimes regret it, what I have noticed is that the more they get use to the OS and the more they learn to use their phones to its full potential the happier they are with it and the less they complain.

Jan Blazek

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I do really believe Windows Phone is the most intuitive, most solid, most secure and most fluid mobile OS.
The problem is that it is also the most different from other platforms and youngest, meaning that people that have grown accustomed to a certain smartphone OS will find the entirely different philosophy of the user interface limiting and alienating. and because it is the least mature it is behind on crucial apps, because lets face it, the lack of applications is by far the most detrimental factor to grow our platform right now!

I don't really miss apps, I have everything I need. Missing enterprise features like VPN/DirectAccess and stability of OS itself on some devices like Lumia 925 are seriously bad. I have moved from old-fashioned iPhone4, but I am quite dissapointed about stability of WP8 on various devices.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't be recommending products based on what suits you, but rather what suits the person. If they are stubborn about change, need a specific feature X or Y that isn't available, want to be in on the latest social media fad, playing the newest hit mobile games (ergh)… don't just recommend Windows Phone then leave them to deal with it. Nothing is for everybody.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I dont have a issue with apps either, everything I need and use daily is catered for, I agree that enterprise centric features is also a must and trust they know and will sort this shortcoming out soon.

As for you having stability issues on multiple devices boggles my mind! Windows Phone is the single most stable OS I have ever used and everyone I know that uses Nokia Windows Phones agree.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You know, never tell them to buy a phone. If they ask, show your phone, let them play with it, talk about some highlight of the WP, answer some questions and end there.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
A month or so after I got my 8x a former coworker came by the office and I showed her my new phone. She said, "I can't believe you bought that crap! I'm going to get a Note II as soon as I can. Android forever baby!" (Yes, she said it just like that.) I just laughed and went on to other subjects - never tried to convince her of anything, I had simply showed her my new phone.

Jump to 2 weeks ago when I see her again after a few months - she proudly pulls out her new Lumia 521 (she's on T-mobile) and proceeds to tell everyone how great it is. I remind her of her words a few months earlier and she laughs. And I never did anything to try to persuade her other than show her my phone. Go figure!

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a 920 for personal use and a BB Z10 for business use. Love both phones. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Love the form factor of my BB and the notifications, BB hub, but the 920 has a better camera and entertainment features. My daughter uses android and my wife and son have iphones. Will never get the iphones away from them, so I don't try. Like others have said, find out what a person wants out of their phone experience and go from there. I will show others what I like about my phone choices, but leave it to them to decide what is best for their situation.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Right. For example, I'm on a trip to Japan at the moment, and even though Bing maps has detailed information and roads here, WP8 uses Nokia maps, which makes Japan look like a barren wasteland. It's crazy. Obviously, it's a temporary issue for me, but it's inexcusable that a major country is totally missing from their map system. I love Windows Phone, but when I think about it, there's really not a whole lot to recommend it, other than the look and feel, and possibly Office integration. Really frustrating.
How many people visit Japan? You can't have it all in any phone. Also most of the people won't use data when traveling and hence Nokia's offline maps are so important. Ofcourse if Japan maps are not there then it's not useful but for other countries it is useful.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I know how frustrating this must be. I've been lucky when recommending WP to people. One of my friends got a Lumia 710 when I started learning about WP and raving about it to her (this is before I ever used one myself) and now she just got a 521 to replace it. My mother, who never even had a cell phone at all, is liking her Lumia 620. She used to ask me constant questions about some aspects of using it, even though she's very tech friendly, but that's stopped. Another friend of mine was going to get a WP when she upgraded, but she ended up with an iPhone 5. However, she told me her next phone will probably be a WP.

Stan City

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
People that I recommend Windows Phone to are looking for a phone that operates for them, rather than the types who want endless Apps. I tell people Windows Phone is the best OS and get iOS if you want Apps first. The best advice you can give someone is stay away from Android, it's too slow and effort consuming. When WP catches up in the App market, that'll be the game changer.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
:grin: These fanatic threads are always hilarious to read...
Tell me, do any of you have friends which have a different sexual orientation? If you do - do you also try to force (or "recommend", which is basically same thing) them into believing that your own sexual preference is "the best" one and that they should also convert to it? And if they refuse - do you also get "frustrated", "annoyed", "sick of them", call them derogatory names behind their backs and whine about it on forums? How about friends with different religious preferences? Or even simpler things such as food/music/movies? Do you also try to force-feed your vegan friends with a beef steak or force your straight male friend to watch the whole Twilight series with you at your home? :wink:

vistascan32

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
To the OP. Was WP their first smartphone experience? I've found that when people are introduced to it before android or IOS they pick it up and don't have any issues. My mom who generally doesn't like using computers or smartphones actually enjoys using WP. She went from a BB>WP>budget Android, then finally back to WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05