Everyone i've recommended a WP8 Phone to endlessly complains!

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't recommend windows phone either unless that person is a elderly or someone who doesn't need apps, or play a lot of games.. If the person is from android then a definite no no. Better off using android ecosystem, as its far superior and with android 4.1+ everything is so slick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't recommend windows phone either unless that person is a elderly or someone who doesn't need apps, or play a lot of games..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Correct. Android is superior when it comes to the number of apps. So, if you are one of those that need that app to help you work a door knob or help you add ice cubes to a glass of water, its perfect.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
If they're switching from an iPhone they shouldn't have ever gotten anything less than a lumia 920. Also, there ARE a lot of missing features. Just because you don't notice the lack doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't. Until WP gets an orientation lock I'll never recommend it to anyone without mentioning how annoying that is. I enjoy my WP, but Microsoft has no excuse for missing features when they're this late to the Mobile Phone party.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
For one thing, any way you look at it, its a disgrace for Microsoft's own mapping solution for WP8 to be missing a major country like Japan. As a side note, I don't understand why they ditched Bing maps data for Nokias data. Secondly, Google refuses to make an official maps app for windows phone, so we're left with pretty "meh" versions from 3rd party developers that are not vector based and generally feel kludgey. I'm not a whiner, I just really want to see Microsoft step it up, especially given that they're still behind after almost 3 years.

First of all you obviously dont know anything about Nokia or Bing maps, Bing maps and Google both might have Japan, but nokia maps (navteq) are the largest most extensive mapping company in the world do some research before you wonder why microsoft switched. That being said, Japan is a weird market and Nokia doesnt sell a ton of phones there, android is probably vastly more popular there and also some other brands, but not so much japan that i know of. And if your out of normal country data rates can be astronomical which almost is pointless to use your android or whatever for mapping you will pay through the nose, which is once again why nokia maps is better, their maps are undisputed best maps available on a phone and if you dont believe me go do some actual research. they will probably eventually add japan and possibly mix in bing maps data with nokias, but frankly if they dont sell phones there its probably not high up on the list. So yes if you had a android device you might have the original google maps there, but you will pay through the nose, apple maps are awful in every way so thats not an option so your saying ONE OS has good maps in japan that you pay through the nose for. Your right WP8 comes WAY short lol. Please. Nobody saying japan isnt a huge market but its a tough one to crack so it suffers in that sense. But the accuracy between google and nokia are neck and neck and nokia beats all in terms of amount of countries available and offline options you just happen to travel to one of the FEW they dont have. BTW my bmw mapping software is based on nokias maps they seem to they think they are good enough to put into a high end car, i dont see google in any of those. Also garmin uses nokia, most likely not exclusively its probably combined, but nokia the main provider for GARMIN. Which i believe is the #1 GPS maker. "Company Facts
NAVTEQ is the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data enabling navigation, location-based services, and mobile advertising around the world
"

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The sad part I forgot to mention, was he did ask my opinion, and I let him play with my phone. He liked it at the time. I even told him to go to the Windows phone store web and verify that there were comparable apps that he had on his iPhone before making the jump.

Apparently he didn't... Oh well.

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just because you support the platform does not make you the bad guy. I would be impressed if most of my friends could describe the differences between iOS, android, and WP. People should research what device they are going to get instead of basing it off price. If you sign a contract then doubly so because you are locked to that phone!

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I recommend WP a lot, but since I handle the cell phones for my organization, a lot of people end up with WP, haha. Add to that the fact that the 928 is free for business accounts and also, it is the highest rated smartphone on Verizon, with almost 300 reviews and 94% of the reviewers would recommend it. That is a pretty amazing statistic.

But, I talked my wife into one a while ago and coming from an iphone, she (like most people), kept comparing it to the iphone and after a few "the iphone does this/that" comments, she is relatively happy with it.

I also handle cell phones for an organization and believe we will be moving to the Lumia 928. We've been using the Blackberry 9930 (free as well with our plan) for about a year and nobody is impressed with them. Our Blackberry server is ancient and the support/CALs are a bit expensive as well.

Frankly, the idea of being able to toss out an old server and utilize just EAS is beautiful to me. The interface is also simple and approachable enough for all of our users, and I think they'll appreciate having a few good apps at their disposal as well as maps/navigation. Plus it's free with our plan? I'll be rolling a few out to test users to get some feedback but so far Blackberry Z10 reactions have been mixed.

Anybody have any experience with wireless tethering and how well that works? That's an important feature to us!

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have tethering though Verizon on my 928 and the only issue I have is my ps3 won't see it. Everything else is a go. My game console sees my android phone tethering just fine so maybe iys the 928 doing something it doesn't like

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I've given up recommending anything to anyone.
If someone has the slightest problem (even one they caused themselves) then it will be my fault for telling them they should buy it in the first place.

Amol Mulik

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Android, iPhone, and WP, and I like all of them (see my signature). I do have my preferences of course, but all 3 have their strengths and weaknesses.

Since you have used iPhone, could you please tell me
1. what files we can attach to our emails in iOS? (ex. doc/ppt/xls/recordings/songs/recorded videos/videos in library)
2. can we attach pre-recorded videos and library videos in whatsapp on iOS?
3. can we save incoming whatsapp audios or videos to phone library of iPhone?
4. Can we save incoming email attachments on iPhone?

I am thinking to switch to iOS very soon. I don't want to make the same mistake that I did while choosing WP8.
If you could answer my questions it would be great help for me.

Thanks in advance

Charlie Poels

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Got 3 friends into windows phone and a classmate. Sure, one of them had a hard time looking past some limitations (no seperate audio and no option to silence apps separately) but that far outweighed the overall experience and speed of the Lumia 620 he got. Just helping them find apps a bit from time to time since some have a different name on our platform. But all are very satisfied. Even got a IT guy at my university to roll with WP after his Lumia 800 died. appearantly he never updated to 7.8 (or 7.5 for that matter... how is that even possible?) Now he has a Nokia 720

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've recommended WP to a few dozen people over the years. Some have switched, some have not. None have complained. Choice of people you talk to, I suppose?

kumar_rajan5000

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I recommend wp8 because its far better than android regarding stability n also android n iPhone is looks quite same. While wp8 is quite different which amazed many people.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
People will always complain, regardless of the platform they've switched to. Initially I missed IOS quite a bit and kept knit picking at things that were different.

After a few weeks of being on windows phone, when I pick up my iPad I get annoyed by UI specific things that are more longwinded to accomplish in iOS.

Every OS has its positives and negatives.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
well done... keep going, i too have recommended some. at least 3 have changed,and they are happy until now.

Yes, actually since I originally made this post I have had 3 more people join the Windows Phone family, but lost 1. He jumped ship to Android due to a bad experience he had with the 1520 touch tap issue... oh well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss