Possible fix for SMS delays?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So, today in the morning I got my Lumia 920. Through the day I texted with my girlfriend, who has an HTC 8S, and we experienced some delays and mixed up messages, as some were coming before others and vice versa, and some weren't arriving at all, or they were, after almost 6 hours

Before that, we were texting heavily (3.5k msgs per month, for 2-3 months), and I suspect, that all these texts (around 12k all together) in the thread may have clogged her phone to that level, that she wasn't able to send/receive texts in a proper manner. Well, that's just my speculation, but we did a test. She deleted the thread, did a soft reset (volume down + power), and tried to text me with a much longer text than 160 chars, including pictures, smileys and other stuff. Guess what: I received it without a problem in a matter of seconds! I did it too, and she received the same kind of text in a matter of seconds without a problem.

So, I suspect, that the "overclogged" SMS thread did such problems, but I'm not sure, because it could be just a carrier issue, but here arises another question: Why didn't the SMS service go insane after the texts after the soft reset and thread deletion?

If anybody has a good explanation, maybe even a solution, or just speculates as I do what's the cause of this problem, you're welcome to reply and discuss this nasty problem. Or if anybody doesn't understand

Greets!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Not really had much in the way of delayed SMS messages. When I have, I've put it down to bad signal/temporary carrier delays. Has nothing to do with the amount of messages on your phone as far as I could see. I've not deleted any text messages from my partner in the 10 months I've had the phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why past text message volume would clog up the phone or the inbox. How has you and your girlfriends cell connection been? Occasionally when I'm in an area with cell poor, but existent reception I don't get texts until much later.

You guys text a lot! I'd go crazy. My wife & I text very little but talk alot face to face & on the phone. Texting is too impersonal for us.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Haha, we text a lot because we live quite away from each other, and we don't have many minutes to talk, so we text, and the special characters of our language (slovenian - š, č, ž) take up a lot of msgs.

Her connection has been excellent, almost nonstop 4-5 bars of EDGE, and the mobile data connection has always been turned on. These conditions apply also for me - excellent reception and turned on mobile data connection. I had this issue on my previous WP7.8 device, where I had in total from all contacts approx 50k msgs, and it started to act very weird (several lag in the Messaging hub, refusing to send a text, etc) until I did a hard reset - all back to normal. So that was the thing, because of which this thought rose in my mind.

Otherwise, I'll have to say a word or two with our carriers, because we have different ones': maybe that's the issue?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't hurt to talk to your carrier and have her do the same with hers. They will likely do some test text messages, so maybe that will help.

I may also suggest using a messaging platform of some kind. Whatsapp, kik, wechat, etc.

I know how that is, my wife & I dated through college and went to different schools. I guess we did text a bit more then.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
this weekend was brutal, my SMS was delayed quite a bit. But i blame it more on the network than the phone.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I contacted my operator, and they said that my SMS message was separated in 3 segments. Their SMS center received 2 segments, but not also the 3rd one - apparently, my phone hasn't sent it at all to the center, so the message obviously wasn't successfully sent.

What is wrong with my phone? Is there anything I can do to fix it by myself? Because I don't want to take it to phone repair center, because they have been notorious for being an awful repair center...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I contacted my operator, and they said that my SMS message was separated in 3 segments. Their SMS center received 2 segments, but not also the 3rd one - apparently, my phone hasn't sent it at all to the center, so the message obviously wasn't successfully sent.

I've actually encountered the exact same issue, my providers SMS center sometimes doesn't receive my deliver attempts...and my device just spits out an error. Usually rebooting the device has fixed the problem, its weird how sometimes its tied to a specific contact and not a big slew of them (isolated). I have a feeling its the device and a bug thats probably less critical because its random.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've actually encountered the exact same issue, my providers SMS center sometimes doesn't receive my deliver attempts...and my device just spits out an error. Usually rebooting the device has fixed the problem, its weird how sometimes its tied to a specific contact and not a big slew of them (isolated). I have a feeling its the device and a bug thats probably less critical because its random.

But that happens only with my friend, who also has WP8 and with nobody else. I mean, what the duck, why can I send a super-long SMS to anyone, just not to this only one WP8-owning friend?!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
But that happens only with my friend, who also has WP8 and with nobody else. I mean, what the duck, why can I send a super-long SMS to anyone, just not to this only one WP8-owning friend?!

Maybe try removing him as a contact, reboot your phone and send him an SMS with only his mobile number (don't add as contact yet) and see if it reaches?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue of late SMS delivery and also receiving SMS on my lumia 620 as well. Not frequently but it happens occassionally. I'm putting this down to the os rather than my nw operator as I did not jhave this issue on my previous phone(android). Not sure if ms knows about this issue and can fix it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem in Slovenia... the carrier is Mobitel, and they also said, that my phone sends SMSs in more segments, and some segments are delivered to carriers server with such delay, that in the meanwhile received ones are deleted (since the server doesnt know what to do with these parts, and apparently just dumps them)
It must be some kind of bug on their servers...

smses include only regular signs (without ščž), and are only 2 smses in length. We have problems in both ways. from her mobile phone to mine and the other way around...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa