wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the name "guest mode" better than "kids corner". I'm surprised Microsoft didn't use the name "guest mode" first. Guest mode sounds more like guest account on PCs.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well lol, you could always rename the Kids Corner to Guest Mode but I do see why they named it that. The people that would "guest" on your phone usually just play with your games and drain your battery =/

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well lol, you could always rename the Kids Corner to Guest Mode but I do see why they named it that. The people that would "guest" on your phone usually just play with your games and drain your battery =/
I'm actually thinking along the lines of having a 'guest mode' if you let someone (adult, not child) borrow your phone just to make a call and don't want that person to have access to any of your personal data.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
yup, i wanna lock my gallery/contacts
i think the contacts are locked out, but anyone can access the gallery, at the kid's corner settings, guests can choose a wallpaper(this opens all gallery folders, stupid rrly :) )

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i'm pretty sure Microsoft has some patents around this mode, whatever you want to call it, so this should get interesting pretty fast.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually thinking along the lines of having a 'guest mode' if you let someone (adult, not child) borrow your phone just to make a call and don't want that person to have access to any of your personal data.

lol oh no I do understand what you're saying, I don't want people to look at my personal info either but what I was trying to get it most of the time when someone borrows your phone it's to play games =/

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I said from the beginning that 'Guest mode" would have been a MUCH better feature and name, even if it functioned the same. I can't understand why they went with Kid's Corner.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I said from the beginning that 'Guest mode" would have been a MUCH better feature and name, even if it functioned the same. I can't understand why they went with Kid's Corner.

because the users who will mostly likely use kids corner or guest mode are parents letting their kids to use their phone.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally I only let my kids play with my phone. I don't lend it out to other adults. I like kids corner because my kids are the only other people that use my phone. My adult friends all have phones they can use. My kids are my kids not guest. Really, how many times have you lent your phone out to a "guest"?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally I only let my kids play with my phone. I don't lend it out to other adults. I like kids corner because my kids are the only other people that use my phone. My adult friends all have phones they can use. My kids are my kids not guest. Really, how many times have you lent your phone out to a "guest"?
Sometimes a friend or co-worker might need to make a call but his/her battery is dead. That person might not be a good enough friend or acquaintance to trust having complete access.

Not everyone has kids or is even around kids.

emagius

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Android has had support for multiple user profiles for quite some time, although Google has limited it to tablets only. One of the nicer elements with Android's implementation is that settings are not shared across profiles -- so each user/guest has their own email inbox/settings, own web browser history, and so forth.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the posts above that Guest Mode is a better name.
With a feature phone, you can have someone else borrow your phone for a quick phone call.
With a smartphone, you need to take some precautions, especially with WP8 with all of its baked in integration.
Was there any mention of enhancements to Kid's Korner in GDR3? I think GDR2 didn't bring anything new to it. Like using a different PIN for Kid's Corner vs main screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb