Kindle Fire HD 7 down to $159 (limited time)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Only $40 off but still a pretty good price. I imagine they're clearing stock before the fall update. I was looking into a iPad Mini for my girl because she wants a tablet for basic media consumption but I'm thinking this might be a better (and cheaper) option. It's small, simple, and integrates well with our Prime account.

Kindle Fire HD - Most Advanced 7" Tablet - Only $199

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have this, along with other tablets. I would say this: If you use a lot of Amazon's services (books, music, video, etc.), then this is the tablet for you. If you don't, there are much better options, esp. for those who don't root and mess with roms.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I played with a friend's KF 8.9 today and while performance was generally smooth, web browsing felt broken. Scrolling was nearly impossible. The page would load, I would flick my finger and nothing would happen. And when the page did scroll, it was jerky. I really hope that's not how browsing is on all Kindle Fire HDs, because she would like to use it for heavy web browsing and the silk browser was simply unacceptable. I seriously can't believe that browser is that bad. I'm convinced there has to be something wrong with my friend's Kindle.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have an original Kindle Fire. And while I was happy with the device before my Surface. The browsing always was lacking. Fortunately I didn't do that much surfing for it to be an issue, but if she is going to do a lot of it, I'd recommend her going and playing with one beforehand if possible. Besides that it's a nice little unit and a nice price.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just as an update... I couldn't do it. Just about everything about the Kindle Fire HD is fair for the price tag except for web browsing. I've tested at least three different models and the web browser is simply unacceptable. I compared the Kindle Fire HD to my HP Touchpad and the Touchpad was actually better. I know the Fire HD is only running Android 4.0 but the browser shouldn't be that bad. I can only assume that browser is that bad because Amazon is tracking every page you visit and it's taking a significant amount of resources.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Playbook is cheaper and has better storage and speakers if you want a movie player.

If you want an android device the slate 7 is cheaper and better.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We're already Amazon Prime members, and we do the books, instant videos, tv shows, etc etc. Since we're already a part of the Amazon ecosystem I was really hoping to get something that works well at delivering Amazon content, i.e. the Kindle Fire. But we also want something that's good at browsing the web, something the Kindle Fire doesn't do. The iPad has a good Amazon Instant Video app but we'd only want an iPad Mini and the $329 asking price seems a bit stiff.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 from eBay, smooth browsing and good performance. Its about 200 bucks probably cheaper on eBay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the new HDX for my girl yesterday. We got the 7 inch, 16GB version. The screen seems incredibly small to me but she seems happy. Overall, it's an impressive upgrade. The new Snapdragon 800 is a beast and performance between the HDX and regulard HD feels like night and day. The browser actually works, in fact, it's quite snappy. The screen itself is beautiful even if it is only 7 inches. The color and resolution is one of the best I've seen. IMO, the chassis could be a bit better as the back plastic is not to my liking, but again, it's her tablet, not mines. It's a shame that Netflix isn't working yet. It's the only service that we use on a regular basis alongside Hulu, Pandora and Prime Instant Video (of course). But once we get Netflix we'll have everything we/she needs. Plus the HDX has more than enough games to keep her busy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte