Disable SMS Toast Notifications

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I figured I would ask myself, after searching and seeing the answer no over and over again, hoping maybe somewhere something was mislabled in a thread title and someone has found a way to do this.

I've had my Lumina 928 for a total of 24 hours and TOAST notifications have already got me in trouble. Showing off my phone to a co-worker and my wife sends me a comment about something I was telling her about here at work, needless to say it made the rest of my day quite awkward.

The fact that you can't even turn if off from the lock screen seems pretty ridiculous. Is there any way? 3rd party app etc to turn this off?

If not, im afraid as much as I like this phone its a deal breaker for me and I will be going back to android by the end of the day. Honestly a disappointment because I was really enjoying how smooth and intuitive the interface is once you get it setup.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Toast notifications can't be disabled and I agree that this could be a major privacy issue. Looks like you will be going back to Android then.

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep, such a shame too.. WHile windows phone has its quirks I can live with them, however not being able to disable TOAST notifications is a HUGE problem, especially in my work environment not just from a personal standpoint.

I am really quite impressed with Windows Phone however this just won't fly for me. Even if there was a way to keep it from flashing the screen that would be more helpful. Ahh well onto the Galaxy S4

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This isn't an ideal solution but for contacts (like your wife) you can save her name with a load of 'spaces' after it and a random character at the end so that when the toast comes through you just see the name and not the message...so for example save her name as "[name]
." and the toast will just show her name.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Something I will never understand: handing your phone to someone else if you've got information on your phone you don't want that someone else to see. Toast notification or no, if you hand your phone to someone you're giving them access to what's on it, like it or not.

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
While I see what your saying thats an ignorant statement to make.

Lets play a couple of scenarios here:

1. I'm at a customers doing some work on their router. I had to look up a quick command and set my phone down in front of me, my customer is hovering of my shoulder (This is somethign that happens frequently) now even though my phone is locked and the screen is off, my boss texts me asking if we should charge because I am working on something that previously we had not quoted for, my customer sees my screen flash on and reads the text.. Now that can be an awkward situation..

There are a number of scenarios that play otu similar to this one that I encounter frequently.. you don't see that as a problem? I should be able to use my phone for its intended purpses and be able to simply set it down instead of fishing it in and out of my pocket and have peace of mind that when its locked.. it is indeed locked from any prying or curious eyes who happen to glance

Scenario 2: I'm showing a co worker/or a friend or whomever a picture of my daughter.. Even though I'm not handing them my phone they are admiring a picture of her when my wifes decides to text me "I want your **** now".. This is something that has happened but because I was on android.. well the text did not get diplayed just a simple new message..

I can think of tons of different ways those two things can play out in multiple ways..

You're telling me thats not a problem? A cell phone is a personal device that houses you life.. sometimes you like to share a piece of your life with someone without giving them your entire life story and dirty secrets.. You should be able to filter that **** out liek you can on any other device..

If you don't see a problem in that by all means you must be a saint among men sir.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I see what your saying thats an ignorant statement to make.

Ignorant? Be careful of the words you choose, many people might take offense to that.

1. I'm at a customers doing some work on their router. I had to look up a quick command and set my phone down in front of me, my customer is hovering of my shoulder (This is somethign that happens frequently) now even though my phone is locked and the screen is off, my boss texts me asking if we should charge because I am working on something that previously we had not quoted for, my customer sees my screen flash on and reads the text.. Now that can be an awkward situation.

That's your fault for putting your phone down where your customer could see that text. You need to take responsibility for your data. Would you leave your email open where your customer could read it? Your accounting package? No, probably not. Your phone is no different; YOU have to protect YOUR data. If there's a chance confidential data could be seen by people who shouldn't see it, you need to take steps to insure that doesn't happen. Don't blame the software for your shoddy data protection practices.

Scenario 2: I'm showing a co worker/or a friend or whomever a picture of my daughter.. Even though I'm not handing them my phone they are admiring a picture of her when my wifes decides to text me "I want your **** now".

If there's a chance your wife is going to text you something like that, and you don't want people to see it, then you shouldn't put your phone in front of other people. It's quite simple. As an alternate, use PhotoBeamer (if you have a Nokia), upload the picture to SkyDrive, or MMS it to your coworker. Again, YOU are responsible for what's on YOUR phone, and YOU have to consider all of this before you hand it to - or show it to - someone else. That's not the software's fault.

You're telling me thats not a problem?

No, that's not what I'm saying. You should be able to turn Toast notifications off. However, that shouldn't be a crutch or a cover for personal responsibility and lackluster data protection. Again I say: if you have data - or might receive data - you don't want other people to see, don't put your phone in front of other people. Toast notifications or not.

Last edited:

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay, have you used other phone platforms? iOS since version 5, android, palm, blackberry etc? Everyone one of them has an option so that if notification are on, you can choose whether it displays the content of that message or just lets you know you have one and maybe who its from.

It's my fault that there is a lock screen that virtually doesnt do what its intended to do? Is'nt the point of a lock screen so that one can't access the personal information on ones phone without knowing the password? Realistically while you can't get into the phone, one could just sit there and wait to see texts come through if they were so inclined.

I should be able to leave my phone out while I was in the middle of some work in case I needed to reference back to it quickly and know that its locked that nothing sensitive will pop up, hell if the screen diden't come on I wouldent be as upset about this but here we are.. My phone locked.. my customer can;t get into it.. but if he hovers long enough and I get a message he sure as **** can read it.

The steps I take so this doesnt happen should have been settled when I put a password on the phone..

Ignorant? Be careful of the words you choose, many people might take offense to that.

That's your fault for putting your phone down where your customer could see that text. You need to take responsibility for your data. Would you leave your email open where your customer could read it? Your accounting package? No, probably not. Your phone is no different; YOU have to protect YOUR data. If there's a chance confidential data could be seen by people who shouldn't see it, you need to take steps to insure that doesn't happen. Don't blame the software for your shoddy data protection practices.

If there's a chance your wife is going to text you something like that, and you don't want people to see it, then you shouldn't put your phone in front of other people. It's quite simple. As an alternate, use PhotoBeamer (if you have a Nokia), upload the picture to SkyDrive, or MMS it to your coworker. Again, YOU are responsible for what's on YOUR phone, and YOU have to consider all of this before you hand it to - or show it to - someone else. That's not the software's fault.

Wanting no TOAST notifications is not a crutch, thats the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

Thats liek being an OBGYN.. you have a door so that no one can come in, but some ******* decided to put a window on it so everyone in the hallway can watch this poor girls lady bits get fondled.

No, that's not what I'm saying. You should be able to turn Toast notifications off. However, that shouldn't be a crutch or a cover for personal responsibility and lackluster data protection. Again I say: if you have data - or might receive data - you don't want other people to see, don't put your phone in front of other people. Toast notifications or not.

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay my first reply was a little harsh so just in case that did not get approved

I don't understand how you can call it my fault. I would understand that statement had the phone not been locked, or if I did not have a password on it but we as users and network administrators require password on our business devices if anything so that god forbid we leave our phone somewhere the content cannot be seen by prying eyes. Linked with our exchange server we REQUIRE a password, and I find it funny that you can't even turn it off from an exchange administrative point of view.

So now if I forget my phone, something everyone manages to do at least once in their lives and I was unable to contact my wife, my boss or co worker and they were sending me messages well now whoever has it can just sit there and read away.. Now what was the point of the password I just put on the phone? Sure it would be more convenient if you could just get into it but hey if your patient and just wait you can see the texts clear as day.. maybe not a large one in its entirety but enough to know whats going on.

How is that a users fault? That he expected his phone to be secure MORE SO because there was a password on it?

We all get unexpected texts once in awhile it happens should I not be able to share a photo with someone and at the minimum not have the TOAST notification take precedence over whats currently on the screen?

Every other phone OS, literally every other phone OS out right now has the option when you have a pass worded lock screen to disable the preview of incoming messages. Many people rely on this like myself, so that I can use my phone in front of a customer, a friend a co worker etc and not have to worry about the contents of what could potentially be a text that you would not want that person to see

I don't understand how you can blame that on a user, on shoddy practives when if it worked as it should those practices would be fine. Except now I have to turn my phone on its screen every time im done with it.. I have to make sure its in my pocket and im afraid to show a picture to someone in fear of a text comming through that I may not want them to see..

Personal outlook aside.. from a buisness and security standpoint this is a huge flaw, if you don't see that well then I will say what I said again.. you are a saint among men. I like being able to use my phone in front of people and not have to worry about unwanted messages being seen. I like to be able to sit my phone in front of me while im working on something to reference too locked or unlocked and be able to have the option to keep texts in the backgroung.. Why carry my laptop if I can carry my phone with the information I need?

I'm just amazed that you have the tenacity to call it my fault when i think most security conscious people would agree this is a huge flaw.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
shady195 said:
Okay, have you used other phone platforms?

My first smartphone was a BlackBerry 7.... seven-thousand something, I don't actually remember. I also had a BlackBerry 8700, 7105, a Curve, and a Bold. I've used iOS since 2.something on the original 4gb iPhone. I also had an iPhone 3G, a 3Gs, a 4, and a 4s. I've had a T-Mobile G1, and two Samsung Captivates. I've had an HTC Touch (actually the OEMed Verizon VX6900), and a whole host of Windows Phones (including the Lumia 520, 820, 920 and the HTC 8x). So yes, I've used other phone platforms.

shady195 said:
I don't understand how you can call it my fault.

We're talking about two different things here. Allow me to once again go on record and say that yes, there should be a setting to disable or obfuscate Toast notifications.

HOWEVER!

You *know* the way Windows Phone works. You *know* that when a message comes in it throws up a Toast notification. You *knew* that you were talking smack about your coworkers with your wife. Yet you still put your phone in your coworkers hands. THAT is on you. Knowing full well how Windows Phone works, you did not do your part to insure that your coworker didn't see something he shouldn't have.

There was never a thought of, "Oooh, Coworker Joe wants to see my phone but I've got all those messages on my phone to my wife making fun of him... maybe I shouldn't give him my phone." There was never a thought of, "Oof, Coworker Joe wants to see my phone but I just texted my wife about what a dweeb he is, and I really don't want the reply to come in when he's got the phone." THAT is your fault. Windows Phone has (what you consider) a major shortcoming in messaging security, and you did not take any steps to mitigate that shortcoming.

You knew the way it worked. You put your phone in your coworker's hands. That's on you. That's how it is your fault.

shady195 said:
I'm just amazed that you have the tenacity to call it my fault when i think most security conscious people would agree this is a huge flaw.

Most security conscious people would agree that a system's security is not the only link in the chain, and that often people are the weakest link. The toughest security system can be easily bypassed if people are not attentive and disciplined.

P.S. I don't actually know if you were talking actual smack about your coworkers or what. All I know is that your wife sent a text a coworker shouldn't have seen, and I'm filling in the blanks in an entertaining (to me) way. I'm not being accusatory. :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read this thread thouroughly but Im going to sum it up because i'm sure both of you are going back and forth

The short answer is no.

Some people want the option to disable it, some people don't care.
The point is Microsoft should give users the option to disable it.

Alot of people have complained about it and I am sure in a future update it will be addressed. Hopefully then, we will see you back on WindowsPhone.

Enjoy you Android.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
You can try what @AI_2 suggested and see if it works for you. You can also swipe the notification and it will disappear.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe in GDR3 or 8.1 Blue they will give us that options.

The functionality is already there actually. When you run an app from Kid's Corner, toasts are disabled, the search button is as well. Microsoft has to simply make that feature available.

My gut tells me it will be available when the impliment a notification center, but who knows. Maybe Nokia will add something sooner.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I doubt this feature will be added by ms in the next one year. I too dislike this toast but at the same time i always ensure the phone is in my pocket always and doesn't go out to friends or enemies lol.

Shady, what's your next phone gonna be like? With android, you can have different sms software even replicating windows toasts incase you miss it heh.. There are apps to lock every aspect of your phone from intruders. Id recommend a higher spec droid like s3,s4,n4 to avoid lagging issues

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, when I give my phone to others with kids corner on, I turn on flight mode, thats some kind of solution. Of course I am not a businessman, so I don't mind if I miss one call or receive few text messages later. That's what I do before I let my brother use my Lumia, because I don't want him to see toast messages and incoming calls. What do you think about that? :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
But this is why Kid's Corner should have been called "Guest Mode". Just having the option to disable the content of the toast notification would be nice though.

You can rename it and call it whatever you want.. Mine is called Guest Mode. :smile: Only problem with that mode is you can still get into the pictures... Not that I have anything bad on my phone, but the customize icon in Kids Corner should require the PIN to get into it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, when I give my phone to others with kids corner on, I turn on flight mode, thats some kind of solution. Of course I am not a businessman, so I don't mind if I miss one call or receive few text messages later. That's what I do before I let my brother use my Lumia, because I don't want him to see toast messages and incoming calls. What do you think about that? :)

Good idea :) but for those who need 24x7 connectivity, they arent gonna go flight mode!

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking for a way to disable toast from SMS too! This is a major problem! Someone forward this to Joe Belfiore....

shady195

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
To be clear here I realized this was an issue ONLY AFTER the issue with my co-worker.. i was unaware that toast notifications take p residence over other apps on the phone as i was only a few hours into using it. I had oringally thought I disabled this option however knowing now i was not correct in my assumption.

My first smartphone was a BlackBerry 7.... seven-thousand something, I don't actually remember. I also had a BlackBerry 8700, 7105, a Curve, and a Bold. I've used iOS since 2.something on the original 4gb iPhone. I also had an iPhone 3G, a 3Gs, a 4, and a 4s. I've had a T-Mobile G1, and two Samsung Captivates. I've had an HTC Touch (actually the OEMed Verizon VX6900), and a whole host of Windows Phones (including the Lumia 520, 820, 920 and the HTC 8x). So yes, I've used other phone platforms.

We're talking about two different things here. Allow me to once again go on record and say that yes, there should be a setting to disable or obfuscate Toast notifications.

HOWEVER!

You *know* the way Windows Phone works. You *know* that when a message comes in it throws up a Toast notification. You *knew* that you were talking smack about your coworkers with your wife. Yet you still put your phone in your coworkers hands. THAT is on you. Knowing full well how Windows Phone works, you did not do your part to insure that your coworker didn't see something he shouldn't have.

There was never a thought of, "Oooh, Coworker Joe wants to see my phone but I've got all those messages on my phone to my wife making fun of him... maybe I shouldn't give him my phone." There was never a thought of, "Oof, Coworker Joe wants to see my phone but I just texted my wife about what a dweeb he is, and I really don't want the reply to come in when he's got the phone." THAT is your fault. Windows Phone has (what you consider) a major shortcoming in messaging security, and you did not take any steps to mitigate that shortcoming.

You knew the way it worked. You put your phone in your coworker's hands. That's on you. That's how it is your fault.

Most security conscious people would agree that a system's security is not the only link in the chain, and that often people are the weakest link. The toughest security system can be easily bypassed if people are not attentive and disciplined.

P.S. I don't actually know if you were talking actual smack about your coworkers or what. All I know is that your wife sent a text a coworker shouldn't have seen, and I'm filling in the blanks in an entertaining (to me) way. I'm not being accusatory. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's annoying if I'm showing a friend a YouTube video, and suddenly a person I've been having a personal discussion with replies back.

And texts toasts can be annoying when playing games (Temple Run shakes, grr), taking video (OIS only goes so far...), etc. It would be nice if Microsoft could implement their own Do Not DIsturb feature, where a simple menu button could toggle whether or not you get notifications. Add Live Tile support, then I could easily pin it to my start menu so as to change it on the fly.

Add this to the WIndows Phone 8 feature wish-list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6