Disable SMS Toast Notifications

anon5657577

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you OP. Makes good sense if Microsoft implements this flexibility of choice into Windows Phone 8. The one thing i envied about Windows Phone, Android and Iphones where the Toasts and Lockscreen notifications that BlackBerry never had except via 3rd party apps. However, now with the 10.2 lest for BB10, we now get Interactive Toasts and Lockscreen Notifications. The thing though is, they can be configured such that:

1. Toasts can be disabled
2. Are allowed only for Priority Contacts
3. Turned Off

You also can of course, dismiss it, reply directly from the toasts with no need to go into the app or click on it to go directly into the app if the message is long and you need to read the full message.

With lockscreen notifications you can enable it or disable it. Also they are interactive so you can dismiss it by clicking the message type icon or show again by clicking on the icon.

It works for all apps I have so far so BBM, Email, SMS, FB, Twitter, Whatsapp, LinkedIn, Foursquare etc.. all work with it.

I have a Windows Phone to and would love If i had the full functionality and choice that the z10 10.2 OS gives me. Security, privacy and choice in a messaging device is a key factor for me in my opinion and the new BB10 OS totally gives me that thus, making it my phone of choice.

chronomagnus

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's things like this, the lack of different volume controls, lack of notification center, no custom SMS tones, and a shoddy xbox music app that are making me look to see if the iPhone 5s or whatever will be worth it. Saying it's a young OS isn't an excuse, they didn't develop Windows Phone 7 or 8 in a vacuum. Making excuses and telling people to go to Android or iOS because they complain about missing features will help keep Windows Phone in single digits. I bought a Windows Phone 8 device because I really like Metro as a phone OS interface, Nokia seems to have some pretty nifty apps, and I figured Microsoft had the resources and the will to compete. I've also owned a Blackberry, Palm Pre, and an iPhone 4.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Even though I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker for me, I agree with the OP. Should be able to turn it off. Furthermore, I wouldn't consider a toast notification personal data that needs to be protected.

vkelkar

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
only thing you can do is use... whats app.... and disable the options to display message in toast... so if whats app has this feature... os limitations are not there... its just microsoft ignored the privacy

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So in short , if someone asks to see my phone to check out its features and use it , Microsoft Policy is to not do that ......

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my WP for a few days and I am far from familiar with it but I can see that the option to hide/show SMS previews would be useful for many and for various good reasons.

After all, Microsoft acknowledge the need for InPrivate browsing in IE so what's wrong with InPrivate SMS in WP?

Extraneus

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
"Ignorant? Be careful of the words you choose, many people might take offense to that."

"Ignorant" was pretty much spot on. Considering your second answer to him, I'd say "quarelsome" might have been better... His points are totally viable unless you live in a bubble and wear a tin foil hat!

Daniel Amareen

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Ignorant? Be careful of the words you choose, many people might take offense to that.

That's your fault for putting your phone down where your customer could see that text. You need to take responsibility for your data. Would you leave your email open where your customer could read it? Your accounting package? No, probably not. Your phone is no different; YOU have to protect YOUR data. If there's a chance confidential data could be seen by people who shouldn't see it, you need to take steps to insure that doesn't happen. Don't blame the software for your shoddy data protection practices.

If there's a chance your wife is going to text you something like that, and you don't want people to see it, then you shouldn't put your phone in front of other people. It's quite simple. As an alternate, use PhotoBeamer (if you have a Nokia), upload the picture to SkyDrive, or MMS it to your coworker. Again, YOU are responsible for what's on YOUR phone, and YOU have to consider all of this before you hand it to - or show it to - someone else. That's not the software's fault.

No, that's not what I'm saying. You should be able to turn Toast notifications off. However, that shouldn't be a crutch or a cover for personal responsibility and lackluster data protection. Again I say: if you have data - or might receive data - you don't want other people to see, don't put your phone in front of other people. Toast notifications or not.

I honestly stared and re-read this a few times because i couldn't believe the logic behind this. wow.

Daniel Amareen

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am the biggest WP fan, and i show off my Lumia 920 to just about any person i know who has a slight interest in technology, owned the phone since it's release (pre ordered it).....but recently i got added to a Whatsapp group with coworkers, 6 people in the group, and with the not so instant notifications, they come in batches, sometimes 90 texts a batch, so what happens is, my phone lights up for a few minutes while it goes through THE NINETY TOASTS!!!!!! whether i like it or not, even if they come instantly and not in batches, i have t stop whatever i'm doing cuz there are toasts on the top of my screen, even if i open whatsapp and engage in the conversation, whatever toasts arriving from a batch KEEP ARRIVING!, this is ridiculous, i now believe we are truly behind the other OSs by far in a pathetic way really, and since i can't afford another phone right now, i will keep this to myself and won't admit to my friends that this OS truly has some retarded cons.

besides the annoyance, i just now got 122 toasts, and you can imagine what that does to the battery life.

for any brainiacs out there, don't tell me to just stop using whatsapp or anything like that, this is a huge problem whether you're gonna admit it or not.

Last edited:

Ganesh Venkat

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Ignorant? Be careful of the words you choose, many people might take offense to that.

That's your fault for putting your phone down where your customer could see that text. You need to take responsibility for your data. Would you leave your email open where your customer could read it? Your accounting package? No, probably not. Your phone is no different; YOU have to protect YOUR data. If there's a chance confidential data could be seen by people who shouldn't see it, you need to take steps to insure that doesn't happen. Don't blame the software for your shoddy data protection practices.

If there's a chance your wife is going to text you something like that, and you don't want people to see it, then you shouldn't put your phone in front of other people. It's quite simple. As an alternate, use PhotoBeamer (if you have a Nokia), upload the picture to SkyDrive, or MMS it to your coworker. Again, YOU are responsible for what's on YOUR phone, and YOU have to consider all of this before you hand it to - or show it to - someone else. That's not the software's fault.

No, that's not what I'm saying. You should be able to turn Toast notifications off. However, that shouldn't be a crutch or a cover for personal responsibility and lackluster data protection. Again I say: if you have data - or might receive data - you don't want other people to see, don't put your phone in front of other people. Toast notifications or not.

Your reply was so stupid

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I am the biggest WP fan, and i show off my Lumia 920 to just about any person i know who has a slight interest in technology, owned the phone since it's release (pre ordered it).....but recently i got added to a Whatsapp group with coworkers, 6 people in the group, and with the not so instant notifications, they come in batches, sometimes 90 texts a batch, so what happens is, my phone lights up for a few minutes while it goes through THE NINETY TOASTS!!!!!! whether i like it or not, even if they come instantly and not in batches, i have t stop whatever i'm doing cuz there are toasts on the top of my screen, even if i open whatsapp and engage in the conversation, whatever toasts arriving from a batch KEEP ARRIVING!, this is ridiculous, i now believe we are truly behind the other OSs by far in a pathetic way really, and since i can't afford another phone right now, i will keep this to myself and won't admit to my friends that this OS truly has some retarded cons.

besides the annoyance, i just now got 122 toasts, and you can imagine what that does to the battery life.

for any brainiacs out there, don't tell me to just stop using whatsapp or anything like that, this is a huge problem whether you're gonna admit it or not.

You are spot on with that example. The simple ability to disable toast notifications should be there from day one.
It's not a question of us having to be ultra careful who we show our phones to but more of a question of how much Microsoft values our privacy and security.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You are spot on with that example. The simple ability to disable toast notifications should be there from day one.
It's not a question of us having to be ultra careful who we show our phones to but more of a question of how much Microsoft values our privacy and security.
As far as your reply to Daniel's comment, the Whatsapp team should be responsible and not Microsoft, apps like LinkedIn and Facebook already have the feature to either show Toasts or Tile Count or both.

And @Daniel: The incoming load of toasts behavior is how iOS and Android behave as well (when toasts are enabled). That said, I have issues as similar to you (toasts coming at the same time) when I am out of data coverage (no data/WiFi) for a while, otherwise Whatsapp has been working great on my L920/L925

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as your reply to Daniel's comment, the Whatsapp team should be responsible and not Microsoft, apps like LinkedIn and Facebook already have the feature to either show Toasts or Tile Count or both.

And @Daniel: The incoming load of toasts behavior is how iOS and Android behave as well (when toasts are enabled). That said, I have issues as similar to you (toasts coming at the same time) when I am out of data coverage (no data/WiFi) for a while, otherwise Whatsapp has been working great on my L920/L925

Yes, you are correct. My response was a general one targeted at Microsoft but each application developer who has the ability to offer the ability to disable toast notifications should do just that.

Daniel Amareen

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Well, he blamed Microsoft and you blame Whatsapp, i say both, why?
because if generally i'd like to get toast notifications, and it happens that i want to watch a movie on my mobile, do i have to go through every single app and disable toast notifications so as not to be bothered mid movie?? (microsoft's fault)
what if i want toasts from FB and not Whatsapp? even if Microsoft had a general off/on button (whatsapp's fault here)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar