Dont get Scroogled the campaign by Microsoft

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Just watch the video.

Microsoft launches new video attack in its offensive Scroogled campaign | Windows Phone Central

If you have a minute read the article. I have an Android device but I don't use Google services and Google spying on my email is why. I am glad Microsoft is finally speaking up on this. There will be those that want to accuse Microsoft of doing the exact same thing. It is not true Microsoft protects your data from spying and Google sells your data to advertisers by spying on your email.

I have a Gmail account I use for Play Store and Youtube that is all I use it for. My thought is to start the debate and ask do you use Gmail and why? Also are you worried about Google spying on your email?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have a Gmail account; opened when I had an android phone. I have all mail forwarded to my primary account. There is nothing on my computer from google or android that I'm aware of. I do not use synching with contacts or calendars with Google. I've always believed that if there is a lot of smoke, there must be a fire. There is a detailed listing on this site that shows how to rid yourself of all things Google and I have it bookmarked and will do the deed soon.

To answer your question; yes I am worried about the amount of my personal info that Google has spread around. My only recourse now is to do everything I can to minimize it any further.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
This made me LMAO so hard.

I mean, it's a legitimate point that Google stores information, but Microsoft is the one to point it out? They're Microsoft, for godsakes! smh

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This made me LMAO so hard.

I mean, it's a legitimate point that Google stores information, but Microsoft is the one to point it out? They're Microsoft, for godsakes! smh

What is wrong with Microsoft sharing some facts? I think it is about time to point out that Google scans your email then shares that information with advertisers. Microsoft protects your information and doesn't share any information without your permission. You don't have to give Microsoft permission to share your data to use Microsoft services. When you buy any device laptop or what ever that has Windows on it you are licensed to use any services that come with that software you are not forced to share anything.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
What is wrong with Microsoft sharing some facts? I think it is about time to point out that Google scans your email then shares that information with advertisers. Microsoft protects your information and doesn't share any information without your permission. You don't have to give Microsoft permission to share your data to use Microsoft services. When you buy any device laptop or what ever that has Windows on it you are licensed to use any services that come with that software you are not forced to share anything.

Because your phrasing is misleading and inaccurate. You make it sound like Google tells advertisers 'hey, Dave Blake who lives in X, phone number Y, his Gmail account indicates that he has an interest in A, B & C. Please send him your ads."

This is wrong. Advertisers define a list of key phrases and/or topics, and Google matches this with your information and shows you ads. In return, you get free email. At no point does the advertiser get anything that identifies you as an individual, nor does your information leave Google. Their privacy agreements have been found acceptable by the DoJ and at no time have Google ever been found guilty of violating consumer privacy.

Also, I note that you and the rest of this site have conveniently ignored Microsoft To Add Bing Ads To Windows 8.1 Search - Forbes and similar. Ads in my frakkin Windows desktop? WTF?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

The choice is to pay money for a service OR pay for it with ads. Google has proven themselves trustworthy over the past few years; Ballmer and his political spin doctoring aside, please name incidents where Google has violated their users' privacy i.e. shared data with outside entities.

Finally, MS does scan your email:

may occasionally use automated means to isolate information from email, chats or photos in order to help detect and protect against spam and malware or to improve the services with new features that makes them easier to use -- Outlook terms of service.

Seems like both are pretty much the same to me...

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The choice is to pay money for a service OR pay for it with ads. Google has proven themselves trustworthy over the past few years; Ballmer and his political spin doctoring aside, please name incidents where Google has violated their users' privacy i.e. shared data with outside entities.

may occasionally use automated means to isolate information from email, chats or photos in order to help detect and protect against spam and malware or to improve the services with new features that makes them easier to use -- Outlook terms of service.

google is trustworthy haha, would you go home

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Haven't you heard the issues surrounding Street View? Here's just one article. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39302384/...nce/t/czech-republic-bans-google-street-view/

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have both, a Live email account and a Gmail account. The Live address is my primary and I've had it for about 6 years (Hotmail) and I clean my junk folder about once every two weeks. My Gmail account is about 3 months old and I have to clear it daily or every other day. To paraphrase Forrest Gump "I'm not a smart man, but I know what spying is".

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Haven't you heard the issues surrounding Street View? Here's just one article. Google 'Street View' banned for privacy invasion - Technology & science | NBC News

Laura, that article deals with the Czech Republic not allowing Google to capture Street View imagery. Now that's up to the individual government. But you will note that many countries also have no problem with this service - US, UK, Germany, Japan - and it's massively useful for many people.

I think you meant to talk about the Street View wifi collection debacle, and you have a fair point that Google sampled Wifi traffic from open networks. However, there is no evidence that they did anything malicious or illegal with that data.

What I feel is that there is so much FUD around Google being 'untrustworthy' and people just cannot think rationally about it. Google does not 'sell' user data - they use it to target ads according to criteria that their advertisers define.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura, that article deals with the Czech Republic not allowing Google to capture Street View imagery. Now that's up to the individual government. But you will note that many countries also have no problem with this service - US, UK, Germany, Japan - and it's massively useful for many people.

I think you meant to talk about the Street View wifi collection debacle, and you have a fair point that Google sampled Wifi traffic from open networks. However, there is no evidence that they did anything malicious or illegal with that data.

What I feel is that there is so much FUD around Google being 'untrustworthy' and people just cannot think rationally about it. Google does not 'sell' user data - they use it to target ads according to criteria that their advertisers define.
Google did get fined by the EU for its violations of privacy. EU Regulators Fine Google $189K for StreetView Data Privacy Violations

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Google did get fined by the EU for its violations of privacy. EU Regulators Fine Google $189K for StreetView Data Privacy Violations

Re-read please - the UK and the EU in general did not have a problem with Google's image capturing - the Wifi traffic sampling was the issue. And the fine was miniscule, as was the violation - 189K is less than Google spends on food in a day.

Also, this happened on open, non-secured Wifi networks. Arguably, leaving your network open is basically an invitation to the whole world to come and jump in. Again. there is no evidence that Google did anything actually harmful to users as such.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re-read please - the UK and the EU in general did not have a problem with Google's image capturing - the Wifi traffic sampling was the issue. And the fine was miniscule, as was the violation - 189K is less than Google spends on food in a day.

Also, this happened on open, non-secured Wifi networks. Arguably, leaving your network open is basically an invitation to the whole world to come and jump in. Again. there is no evidence that Google did anything actually harmful to users as such.
Google isn't off the hook with the EU yet. EU regulators tell Google its current privacy policy has to go | VentureBeat

replay0

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Google gave up the names and emails of Chinese dissidents to their communist government, if you don't remember. THAT, is evil. Google could choose not to do business in that country if they don't like communist rules, but they chose to go along with it, instead.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Bzzt. From that link: "In particular, we believe that the updated policy does not provide sufficient information to enable U.K. users of Google’s services to understand how their data will be used across all of the company’s products."

The issue is not that the policy itself is in violation, it is that Google has not done a good enough job of informing their users. Moreover, there is no question that Google is releasing data to advertisers; this issue is only how Google themselves use the data.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Google gave up the names and emails of Chinese dissidents to their communist government, if you don't remember. THAT, is evil. Google could choose not to do business in that country if they don't like communist rules, but they chose to go along with it, instead.

Check again. The Chinese government gained access to Gmail accounts of dissidents, and even that was via malware and phishing, not because of any vulnerability in Google's systems. And if you recall, they did refuse to continue censorship and redirected users to Hong Kong.

Also see In China, Bing's turn to show some spine - CNN.com , where Ballmer says Google's decision was irrational and that MS will continue following all local laws.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Love the Scroogled campaign and hope they come out with some more soon.

The more people that find out about Google's cruddy ways the better.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
One would be an ***** to trust either. They're corporations. They do not, nor will they ever, care about you, or put you before making profit. Fanboyism, a.k.a brand loyalty, is narcissism. A mental illness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos