How much do you miss native google services on WP?

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Of all the Google services that exist, I only really use Gmail.
If that stopped being supported on WP8 then it wouldn't be a huge problem as I have other ways to access it.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost every service Google offers, Microsoft offers an equivalent which is more often than not a better product. And with all the privacy issues surrounding Google and how they use your data, I don't understand why people still blindly use their services.

The only one I still use is YouTube because there is no alternative and is the standard platform that is used these days, but I use my Outlook.com email address to sign in to YouTube so I don't even have Gmail.

Haigs

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I switched from gmail to outlook when the first ads from google spammed my inbox. When i bought my 1st windows phone i started using Skydrive and so far i am happy with my choice. Only google service i use now is youtube. Mytube is the best youtube client i've seen on any platform.

So, no i dont miss anything from google. Only thing i miss is the old Google.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I miss Reader.

I thought I was going to miss Reader, that was my last Google holdout. But Feedly and Nextgen Reader have been more than adequate replacements. Sure, you still have to log in to Feedly with a Google account, but... *shrug* that doesn't bug me.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't, but only because I also carry an Android. Give up YouTube & Google Voice? Never! At least not until there are decent replacements.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't, but only because I also carry an Android. Give up YouTube & Google Voice? Never! At least not until there are decent replacements.

Why is metrotube not a decent replacement? I prefer it over Android's official app.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why is metrotube not a decent replacement? I prefer it over Android's official app.

Yes but you're still using YouTube services. I wasn't necessarily talking about the app. 90% of my YouTube use is on a PC in the browser.

And that still doesn't cover Google Voice... :eek:rly:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes but you're still using YouTube services. I wasn't necessarily talking about the app. 90% of my YouTube use is on a PC in the browser.

And that still doesn't cover Google Voice... :eek:rly:

Ok, yes, that makes more sense than what I understood.

I have no use for Google voice (the few I know that do use it also have Skype accounts) so I can't comment on that, nor do/would I miss it.

YouTube is the only service I would miss, but thankfully WP has that covered.

Steven Curl

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
If I used any of them besides the occasional YouTube, I would certainly miss them, I guess? Just wish my family would get on board so I can use the damn Rooms for things like calendar!

Colby Lee

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

There are a couple good YouTube apps on WP8 that are identical to the original YouTube app, logo and all. I personally don't like Metro Tube because of how the tile looks. If the tile doesn't match the native phone tiles, then it looks too tacky to me. Another reason I don't use Metro Tube is because every time that I try to share a video it creates a broken link(Tested on 2 devices). But, like I said, the main reason is that the tile does not blend in well with most Windows phone's tiles...it has an off-black background that gives it that under budget third party feel.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been on WP for 2 weeks now. I am coming from a Galaxy S4 and a Note 2 before that. I had been pretty tied up in Google services. I wanted to try the WP experience so I have really gone all in. I moved my calendar, email and contacts to outlook. I have also been using One Note and really like that. Surprisingly I really don't miss Google. I thought I would, but it just has not been the case. I don't use YouTube as much as I used to for some reason. I don't think it's the lack of an official app though. I am also using SkyDrive instead of Google Drive. No issues there either.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for official YT app as good, as the one taken down by Google. Don't care about the rest of add/invigilation/Google services.

The Youtube official app for Android is horrible, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet and the app is slow and ugly, I don't know why you want an app like those.

I use MyTube and it is great, a lot better than official YT app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb