Lumia 820 or Ativ S?

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I wasn't sure on where to ask this, so I asked on this forum.

In the end of the month I (plan) to buy a Windows Phone. However just recently Samsung dropped the price on Ativ S on Brazil. Now its price is the same as the Lumia 820.

Which one is better? Ativ S has bigger screen and better front camera, but Nokia who its sharing the love on WP. Any thoughts?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia have the best apps, ativ s is the better phone.

Sooooo....it really depends how much you want Nokia apps really.

The ativ s is a much better device though.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Nokia have the best apps, ativ s is the better phone.

Sooooo....it really depends how much you want Nokia apps really.

The ativ s is a much better device though.

And Nokia's most important app (Drive) is available on the ATIV S. Go for the ATIV S. The 820 is much worse.

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It's a no brainer. Get the 820. Nokia is ridiculously better than Samsung in every way possible.
And Nokia's most important app (Drive) is available on the ATIV S. Go for the ATIV S. The 820 is much worse.

I asked before to my friends and they always said "ignore everything, buy a Nokia and don't even blink". I always hated Samsung devices on Android too. But on the updates the 820 seems to be ignored by Nokia and the differences on the screen, internal storage and front camera are buggin me.

I didn't mentioned before, both devices are being sold with no carrier attached. (brazilians don't buy phones through carries usually, really).

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Ativ S

I have both Ativ S and L820.
The thing is... Lumia only wins cause of Nokia apps, but seems we can install the most important ones no matter manufacture so... :)

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It boils down to your usage. If all is tied, get the Ativ S. Better experience because it is high end, while the 820 is just a high MID-RANGE. Unless you need all "Nokia exclusives", and honestly, most of the good ones like their transport and navigation apps are open to all WP8 phones. The only thing is that Nokia's camera apps a re nice, but again, you can get the better mileage out of Proshot and Cam 360. I think the Ativ S is a better buy. The only thing I wish it had was Qi wireless charging...if Samsung made a back cover with that built in, it would slay all other WP8s except for the Lumia 1020 and 92x as those have superior cameras.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
HOLD ON RIGHT THERE! (I assumed you would be running to the store any time now so I screamed :p)

I have the 820 But here are some issues with it:

Battery Drains really quick - no "tricks" work.

Heats up - The screen side of it heats up like hell sometime

And thats it! If u are ok with these two issues...GO for 820!

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
HOLD ON RIGHT THERE! (I assumed you would be running to the store any time now so I screamed :p)

I have the 820 But here are some issues with it:

Battery Drains really quick - no "tricks" work.

Heats up - The screen side of it heats up like hell sometime

And thats it! If u are ok with these two issues...GO for 820!

Define "drains really quick". Can it last for a day?

So far I noticed that Ativ S is a better device than 820, but Nokia who delivers the better "experience" even with a lower device.

However I'm afraid of buying a Samsung, since almost all Android from them ends on dust, and Windows Phone on their minds is just a incovenience. It woudn't be nice if Nokia just made a gazillion of exclusive apps/updates in the future and the others end up dying in the water. It has been said that some Nokia apps are downloadable on ther devices but if someone change their mind in the future?

But I may be too crazy and end with a lower device. I will have all the posts on the mind when I buy the new phone. Thanks so far (and I could use any more thoughts on this).

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The differences aren't that big, just try them out and see what fits you better.. The 820 is really solid, and what screen size do you prefer? An important thing is that they both use AMOLEDs which get criticized because of their unnatural colors, on Lumia you can add color profiles. The front facing camera, if you want to use it, sucks, that's right. But still, most important is how you like the device when you have it in your hands.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Define "drains really quick". Can it last for a day?

So far I noticed that Ativ S is a better device than 820, but Nokia who delivers the better "experience" even with a lower device.

However I'm afraid of buying a Samsung, since almost all Android from them ends on dust, and Windows Phone on their minds is just a incovenience. It woudn't be nice if Nokia just made a gazillion of exclusive apps/updates in the future and the others end up dying in the water. It has been said that some Nokia apps are downloadable on ther devices but if someone change their mind in the future?

But I may be too crazy and end with a lower device. I will have all the posts on the mind when I buy the new phone. Thanks so far (and I could use any more thoughts on this).

Again, depends completely on you. But, unlike me, if u have a job where you are away from a power source/charger for a long time, I would recommend against the 820. 820 needs power cord plugged in most of the time. Most phones dont last a day in these modern times, and 820 even lesser. Again, depends on your usage. I have discovered one thing though, the battery drain is greater on Data Network than on WiFi.
Hope that helps.

But other than these:
Build Quality is A grade
Screen is beautiful
Fast and responsive 1GB RAM
Perfect in hand

and over all just perfect in everyway. Samsung may be pulling the chord on WP anytime now and anyways I have been very vocal about my hate towards Samsung.

m3kk

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why people are saying ativ s have drive also..yeah but it costs like 30$ ? What's the point then? Or am I missing something?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Get the Ativ S.

As much as I don't like Samsung, the 820's battery life is unacceptable.
But, you'll get that Glance Screen on the 820, it's killer feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa