Lumia 820 or Ativ S?

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
820 since nokia supports its windows phones so much more, exclusive apps and some awesome new features like glance screen *hopefully in next updates we could see notifications on it like nokia n9 or symbian phones) double tap to wake up, color profile, sms and call filter, and who knows what other things nokia brings along gdr3 combo.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Here's an idea, why not try them both first if you can. I wouldn't trust what people say on any website as they will always promote what is their personal favourite without looking at it objectively.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Here's an idea, why not try them both first if you can. I wouldn't trust what people say on any website as they will always promote what is their personal favourite without looking at it objectively.

You know, the OP never said HOW they were getting the phone. What if they cannot try each phone in person? I guess that's why you never read reviews because you cannot get anything "objectively".

I'm in a similar spot to the OP. I have reliable online dealer I've used in the past selling the 8X for $275, the Ativ S for $290 and the 920 for $360. The 820 on their site sells between $260-$275. All are unlocked, international models. I like all three, and all three are upgrades over the 820. The 8X is the best buy of the 3 if your priority is a high WP8 experiences that plays on price and a smaller budget and if you like a smaller handset with a big screen. The Ativ S is the best buy of the 3 because if you consume a ton of media on the go (movies, etc), you get 16GB internal + memory card slot + removable battery. The 920 is the best buy of the three is budget isn't an issue as you get superior camera, wireless charging and excellent after sales support.

Hardware wise, Samsung and HTC made very good alternatives to Nokia. If Samsung and HTC threw even half of their WP7 support behind these devices, Nokia would have to innovate even more and port more of their Symbian OS stuff to WP (Glance, for example). Besides, Ativ S users will tell you you can wake the,phone by hitting either the power or the physical start key button. Ativ S now allows you to create folders on WP8.

So OP, it boils down to your needs. If you value better OEM support, swappable wireles charging shells...then go Nokia. If you want a high end experience at that price point, go Ativ S as you get a bigger screen, more memory, bigger removal battery and 2nd lightest WP model weight wise out currently (8X is the lightest).

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the phone online. However there is a physcal store near me that has both, but they locked it up so its impossible to hold it.

So I have to choose between OEM support and a better device?

Just to know, what apps/functions i'm gonna be missing if I go with Ativ S?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the phone online. However there is a physcal store near me that has both, but they locked it up so its impossible to hold it.

So I have to choose between OEM support and a better device?

Just to know, what apps/functions i'm gonna be missing if I go with Ativ S?

What apps do you use? For me, I use the transport and navigation apps alot...and those are available on the Ativ s too. I'm in the US so I can use Drive + for free. Nokia's pro cam and smart cam may not hit the 8xx range anyways...and honestly, many of the exclusive apps in the Nokia collective are limited exclusives - which means the rest of WP8 gets those apps at some point. Overall, the Ativ S is a better device, and Samsung has updated their stuff and shown WP8 a little love these last few weeks. People bury the ATIV S because Samsung buried it, but it is a fine phone. I like the 8xx line (I own a 810) and it is nice too, so you're not losing much if you pick a 820.
You're choosing between a better device and OEM support because of the price point your budget has you ballin' at. I would look into the warranty to see if you can try either phone for a few days and do an exchange. Again, it boils down to your needs...how do you plan to use the phone?

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
What apps do you use? For me, I use the transport and navigation apps alot...and those are available on the Ativ s too. I'm in the US so I can use Drive + for free. Nokia's pro cam and smart cam may not hit the 8xx range anyways...and honestly, many of the exclusive apps in the Nokia collective are limited exclusives - which means the rest of WP8 gets those apps at some point. Overall, the Ativ S is a better device, and Samsung has updated their stuff and shown WP8 a little love these last few weeks. People bury the ATIV S because Samsung buried it, but it is a fine phone. I like the 8xx line (I own a 810) and it is nice too, so you're not losing much if you pick a 820.

You're choosing between a better device and OEM support because of the price point your budget has you ballin' at. I would look into the warranty to see if you can try either phone for a few days and do an exchange. Again, it boils down to your needs...how do you plan to use the phone?

Actually I have a old LG P500 running a modified Android. I use to listen music, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp and such. Sometimes I use maps to get around. I never had a Windows Phone before and I expect to do the same things. My phone actually survive a full day on Wi-Fi (I use 3G rarely) and people are telling me that 820 can't do that.

I really wanted to buy a Nokia but I may go with ATIV S and take a leap of faith with Samsung it nothing/no one changes my mind (I plan to buy on 2 weeks). I'm still afraid of little support from OEM though...

Since I'm buying online, brazilian companies tend to do hell to people who wants to swap phones. If I'm going to buy its going to be the real deal.

This forum surprised me. I believed that everyone was going to say Lumia. Thanks to everyone so far.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have a old LG P500 running a modified Android. I use to listen music, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp and such. Sometimes I use maps to get around. I never had a Windows Phone before and I expect to do the same things. My phone actually survive a full day on Wi-Fi (I use 3G rarely) and people are telling me that 820 can't do that.

I really wanted to buy a Nokia but I may go with ATIV S and take a leap of faith with Samsung it nothing/no one changes my mind (I plan to buy on 2 weeks). I'm still afraid of little support from OEM though...

Since I'm buying online, brazilian companies tend to do hell to people who wants to swap phones. If I'm going to buy its going to be the real deal.

This forum surprised me. I believed that everyone was going to say Lumia. Thanks to everyone so far.

I would still say it :p I don't know about others, but with 24/7 3G (no LTE) I get at least a day, if I don't play any games about two. What convinced me to get the 820 was the imho awesome display and the size of it, it fits perfectly! And of course, Glance looks really awesome.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
ok i havent read the whole thread,
but,

i think u should skip the 820, but not Nokia
820 is kinda an obsolete deveice,
i think the 720 is better than the 820 in every way, except screen size and cpu/rams... maybe an issue with u? but i would think really hard and carefully for this one
the 720 is especially better in the battery part(ALOT better), and camera(also alot better)
hence why both are almost at the same price point atm
if your gonna going to buy another upgrade relativly soon(1-1.5 years, ), go with the 720

there isnt a huge price gap between the 820 and the 920 either, the 920 is a GREAT device apart from its battery(i own one, battery seems to be bad in all lumias except the 720(not sure about the 1020).. so if you got extra cash, 920 it is

i hate samsung, like most people here :p, but i dont think its right to recommend the 820(battery issues,but u can alwayz buy an extra battery, bad camera , not so pretty etc) :)

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
but,

i think the 720 is better than the 820 in every way, except screen size and cpu/rams... maybe an issue with u? but i would think really hard and carefully for this one
the 720 is especially better in the battery part(ALOT better), and camera(also alot better)
if your gonna going to buy another upgrade relativly soon(1-1.5 years, ), go with the 720

there isnt a huge price gap between the 820 and the 920 either, the 920 is a GREAT device apart from its battery(i own one, battery seems to be bad in all lumias except the 720(not sure about the 1020).. so if you got extra cash, 920 it is

i hate samsung, like most people here :p, but i dont think its right to recommend the 820(battery issues,but u can alwayz buy an extra battery, bad camera , not so pretty etc) :)

820 costs R$ 879,12. 920 costs R$ 1.759,12. You don't have to know the currency to see thats a no deal on my country.

And I can't see how buying a phone with even lower specs are better than the other two options.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
but,

Speak for yourself when you say "most people hate Samsung". They had the best Gen 1 WP7 device in the OG Focus and the lightest WP7 device in the Focus S. There's no way anyone who looks at it fairly from a price point and specs perspective can recommend the 720 over the Ativ S. As for the 720's battery life, Nokia did a good job in optimizing the hardware and they just used the 920's battery. But that's all. While it is a great mid range, I still wouldn't take it over the 820...cameras are a wash and the better screen and extra horsepower matter if you push the phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For the most part you will get balanced feedback here. Trust me, there are many other happy non Nokia owning WP8 users here. You'll get good performance from your Ativ S for those needs if that's the route you choose to go. I'd even dig into the forums for each phone a little bit for a more hands on feel from others users. Don't get me wrong, I like my 810. It is just that at the price point you're mentioning, if you can get a high end phone, you're getting better bang for your buck. Besides, if you want a sense of weigh wise what you're getting into with the Ativ S, hold a galaxy s3...as the dimensions are similar...

athosbr99

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
For the most part you will get balanced feedback here. Trust me, there are many other happy non Nokia owning WP8 users here. You'll get good performance from your Ativ S for those needs if that's the route you choose to go. I'd even dig into the forums for each phone a little bit for a more hands on feel from others users. Don't get me wrong, I like my 810. It is just that at the price point you're mentioning, if you can get a high end phone, you're getting better bang for your buck. Besides, if you want a sense of weigh wise what you're getting into with the Ativ S, hold a galaxy s3...as the dimensions are similar...

I went to a store and both L820 and Ativ S were there. However the Ativ S didn't had any battery charge and I was unable to use it. I wasn't able to hold it too since they don't allow it either.

But how about navigation apps? Whats in on the Ativ S? In the end, even hating Samsung, I guess that will be my choice...

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I went to a store and both L820 and Ativ S were there. However the Ativ S didn't had any battery charge and I was unable to use it. I wasn't able to hold it too since they don't allow it either.

But how about navigation apps? Whats in on the Ativ S? In the end, even hating Samsung, I guess that will be my choice...

Not as fluid as L820, but only navigating in menus

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Same standard navigation apps that are on WP8. Nokia Drive is available. Not sure if you will get Drive + as you may have to pay for it. The Nokia Maps is there along with Nokia transport. Again, what exactly about Samsung do you hate so much? Remember, you can still choose to go buy a 820...

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My one and only advice is stay as far away as possible from the 820 until they fix the Other storage issue on GDR2 (fingers crossed).

Your Other storage will likely stack up to 4GB.
The system is 2GB.
You will need to install a couple essential apps, which will take more than 1GB.

Assuming you store all media on SD, you have just enough GB to install doodle jump.

It's been a mess and nothing reduces the Other storage, not even Shrink Storage and the 820 now is stupified with 0 games installed too. I would go with the newer Nokia phones with at least 16GB storage if you want to go mid-range.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ Other storage issue is fixed in GDR2, it does stick between 1-1.5GB max. Also maps can be downloaded and stored on the storage card, including pics. Space left after 1.9GB system apps plus 1.5GB other is 4.5GB which can take more than Doodle Jump. Also FM Radio is an addition based on your needs plus Amber plus who knows what enhancements from Nokia (i do expect Samsung to throw some)....all this about the 820.

ATIV...more storage plus big screen minus store maps on storage card option minus FM Radio

If i were you i would go w/ the Ativ if FM is not a requirement

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The thing is the 820 cannot hold a candle to the Ativ S hardware wise. So, if we accept the screen res, expandable memory, and removable battery all favor Sammy, then let us look at what Nokia 820 brings:

-In 18 months time, I will put my second million dollars I intend to make (still 900,000 off my first Million, but details, details) that Nokia will still be supporting the 820, especially the international version. I am not sure if Sammy will even be making WP's in 18 months.

-Nokia will continue to get exclusive apps and exclusive releases because they are FIGHTING for them in survival mode. Okay, a good portion of them will be relaesed to other devices, but Nokia will get them first, more often, and most likely for the life of the device.

-Nokia has MS's ear right now and MS's mobile phone future in their hands. If MS is working to make a seamless OS, Nokia will be the first to say "yep" or "nope" on updates.

-Nokia fixes problems with their devices. They send out firmware. They upgrade camera performances. Sammy does a decent job of this ON THEIR BEST SELLERS. Also-rans do not get love, period. Sammy has too many devices to worry themselves over a small % seller. So, as the Ativ is not a homerun in sales, I would be surprised to see fixes come down the pick for these devices if they need them.

I do like Samsung. But, this is actually an easier choice then it sounds:

If hardware is more important, push the 820 out of your mind, go get the Ativ S which is a great device, do not look back or regret it ever.

If software and support is more important, push the Ativ S out of your mind, go get the Nokia 820 which is a great device, do not look back or regret it ever.

Let us know what you decide!! I am dying to know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6