Generic VOIP sip client finally on WP

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The OS already has notification channel open for all incoming notifications. In order to do SIP socket listen, you have to open additional connections and keep the app alive, both of which are extras you don't have to do. Keep in mind, the WP notifications are coming from MS push servers, not directly from any app server.

Also, to maintain the socket connection open with the SIP server, you need refresh the registration periodically. That's additional task needs to be performed that requires wake the phone up. All this can be handled by a server without involving the phone at all.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The OS already has notification channel open for all incoming notifications. In order to do SIP socket listen, you have to open additional connections and keep the app alive, both of which are extras you don't have to do. Keep in mind, the WP notifications are coming from MS push servers, not directly from any app server.

Also, to maintain the socket connection open with the SIP server, you need refresh the registration periodically. That's additional task needs to be performed that requires wake the phone up. All this can be handled by a server without involving the phone at all.

And now this makes it the forth time you've explained how it works. Buddy, trust me when I tell you this, I already know all of this.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And now this makes it the forth time you've explained how it works. Buddy, trust me when I tell you this, I already know all of this.
so why do you keep asking the same stupid question? Unless you don't understand extra connection and extra work equal extra battery drain.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
so why do you keep asking the same stupid question? Unless you don't understand extra connection and extra work equal extra battery drain.

This reply is interesting.

I'll reiterate since you sound like a broken record. On my 808, I get the same battery life (2.5 days) regardless if I'm registered to my VoIP server or not.

You claim with Windows Phone, Microsoft's implementation would be even more of a battery drain.

My question was simply, 'how is this more efficient than an old Symbian device if it drains the battery faster?'.

What you proceeded to do was repeat the client/server communication data model over and over, which ignored the battery drain issue I raised.

The way SIP and notifications are implemented on Windows Phone simply isn't more efficient than Symbian if the battery drain will be as significant, as you say.

From a dead start of the same usage, my Lumia 920's battery would die a little more than a day before my 808's battery gives out.

Is this crystal clear now?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Again you are comparing apples to oranges. Comparing battery usage of a WP phone to Symbian phone has no direct relationship to the topic in hand. There are simply too many variance between two unrelated system to consider. If you can't grasp this simple concept, there is no point to argue further. Like I said, my old dumb phone lasts way longer than your 808 but does that matter? No.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Again you are comparing apples to oranges. Comparing battery usage of a WP phone to Symbian phone has no direct relationship to the topic in hand. There are simply too many variance between two unrelated system to consider. If you can't grasp this simple concept, there is no point to argue further. Like I said, my old dumb phone lasts way longer than your 808 but does that matter? No.
We get it, you don't know the answer. Does it matter? No.;)

Leonardo Monday

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
This kind of suck, can't run the app on background ... i was testing asterisk sip on the employers smartphones as an internal way of communication, using sip client zoiper in android and windows phone , android was ok, but having to set push notification for windows phone got me a little confused ... i thought it was something you could set on your own without additional charges XP..
So there is no way i can do this internally without cost ? (push notification on windows phone)

* i am starting to read on voip, but this seem really generic .
Push notifications :: Zoiper

Last edited:

aplced

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
You can have the push notifications without extra cost - provided you have access to the SIP server to configure it (follow the tutorial you posted or you can implement a completely different solution - Sending push notifications with WNS (Windows Runtime apps using C#/VB/C++ and XAML) (Windows) has nice examples). The only downfall is that without having an MS certificate for a push channel for your app you can only send 500 notifications per day. If you need more than that than you'd probably have some extra cost...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting conversation as I truly did not understand this service or how it works.

However, please keep the tone civil. If it spirals out of control, I will be forced to close a thread that truly is a good subject.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
You can have the push notifications without extra cost - provided you have access to the SIP server to configure it (follow the tutorial you posted or you can implement a completely different solution - Sending push notifications with WNS (Windows Runtime apps using C#/VB/C++ and XAML) (Windows) has nice examples). The only downfall is that without having an MS certificate for a push channel for your app you can only send 500 notifications per day. If you need more than that than you'd probably have some extra cost...

You wouldn't happen to have any code lying around would you?

aplced

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
The advantage you get with using Zoiper (or Linphone or the other non-provider-bound softphones, but for WP8 these seem as the only viable options) is that you are not bound to any single VoIP provider - you can use any and all, you can set up your own server etc. And if you and your friends are on the same SIP/IAX server you can talk/chat for free ala skype/viber/whatsapp/all-the-other-popular-options.

Anyway, we are working on an alternate solution for sending Push notifications, that should be easier for VoIP providers to integrate and it will go over certified push channel - that is no 500 per day limitation :).

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Zoiper the last couple of days with my VoIP provider. The good thing about it is its echo cancelation. Callers on the other end don't notice any weird noises or echoes.

The bad thing about Zoiper is that it's buggy. DNS errors, 404 errors, calls going out get stuck in limbo and you can't hangup when it's stuck. It's a mess.

Microsoft doesn't get let of the hook for crippling the OS when it comes to VoIP either. I mean, push notifications for incoming calls? Really? Why not just make a regular VoIP integrated function? This has been done a million times over before WP8 came along.

aze5a4a7

aplced

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Push is not bad - it saves a lot of battery and it's really a very small change for providers to utilize it (and even though Microsoft disclaims any real-time or reliability of the push service, our tests so far show its reliably-real-time :D). I really like that MS stand their ground on the apps not allowed in background when there is an alternative.

Try wpsupport@zoiper.com and/or wpfeedback@zoiper.com (I don't see problems with support@zoiper.com but it will create the ticket in the general issue mash-up).

Error non found and dns errors (and one way audio) - that's mainly caused by NAT and network discovery issues. You can check the help and support section (in the settings) for some stun suggestions, but that may not resolve the issue - unfortunately there is no straightforward solution.

As for the limbo calls - it's a known issue, Microsoft introduced a fix for it in 8.1 but we still have to fully migrate to 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99