Do you think later updates will take this long?

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I know a lot of people agree Nokia/MS kind of dropped the ball on the whole update process, and I KNOW it's probably the carriers taking so long to release it but honestly; Nokia/MS should've taken this into account and figured out a way to make sure it releases in a decent amount of time.

At this rate it seems like updates will release almost yearly which is obviously WAY too long especially since WP8 has a lot to grow on/live up to, and as much as I support this phone I feel like MS needs to really put the updates into overdrive since they have such a massive team, otherwise I fear they might lose people by the hour and that's including fanboys like me.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Look, ask android users how long updates take.

We have discussed this to death. Please continue the talk on one of the thousand update threads that have been created.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Look, ask android users how long updates take.

We have discussed this to death. Please continue the talk on one of the thousand update threads that have been created.

Maybe back in the day but they seem consistent nowadays, and seriously iOS and Android almost always if not always get a good amount of new features in their updates. If they weren't boring, ugly, and actually innovative, then I wouldn't be having this chat right now :)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Since getting my 920 back in Nov. I've received Portico and numerous updates from Nokia. With GDR2 and Amber coming any time now, that's a good bit of updates in less than a year.

Also, no matter how quick they churn out the updates, it's not going to be quick enough for everyone. Or they will complain that there is nothing important in the update if they just throw them out there in a hurry.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since WP8 came out last November (yes, not even a year ago) it's received more updates than iOS ever has in that same time frame. I don't know the update schedule for Android as I don't follow Android, but I can say that in a year on a Samsung Captivate and 6 months on a Nexus 7 tablet, I never received a single OS update.

naganumolu

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Android is in almost developed state. The future updates will take longer to add new features. But in case of WP, there is lot room to improve. So everyone with a WP will expect quicker updates. Earlier Android got updates every six months.

Sent from my NL720 using Tapatalk

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Since getting my 920 back in Nov. I've received Portico and numerous updates from Nokia. With GDR2 and Amber coming any time now, that's a good bit of updates in less than a year.

Also, no matter how quick they churn out the updates, it's not going to be quick enough for everyone. Or they will complain that there is nothing important in the update if they just throw them out there in a hurry.
I was talking real updates meaning GDR3 "Blue" that are supposed to add the real meat and potato's.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I expect so... GDR2 + Amber seems to have taken a couple of months longer than hoped but things should get faster..
Going by all the news of Nokia phablets/ GDR3 and 8.1 being in testing, plus the impending holiday season - I would expect MS to speed things up to hit these deadlines...

Then again...this is MS.... :eck:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I was talking real updates meaning GDR3 "Blue" that are supposed to add the real meat and potato's.

So we've already had GDR1, GDR2 in process or coming, and GDR3 by years end. That's 3 major updates in a little over a year. Still not bad. And still you can't please everyone, there will always be those who want it quicker.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that MS was somehow going to bypass carrier approval and release future updates without carrier intervention?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment that all these GDR updates are pretty lackluster, and Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot by over-hyping a lot of things during the Windows Phone 8 release time frame. For example, anyone here remember the "Enthusiast Program", or all the things *pretty much promised* for 2013...? None of those things have come, and to add insult to injury, a lot of the GOOD that was in Windows Phone 7 was stripped out. Windows Phone 8 was definitely rushed, and I would call this the "Windows Vista" of the Windows Phone 8 series lol.

However, patience is a virtue that is rewarded, and I plan to stick it out. I use to be one who would've already flashed GDR2 by now, only to find that I wasn't as happy with my phone after I had done it (either instantly after playing with the phone right and exploring new features after flashing, or over time, after the features I had been waiting for aren't "shiny new toys" anymore lol). I've even considered (if money ever becomes right :unhappy:) getting an iPhone 5 to go alongside my AT&T 920. However, that would only complicate things, as I would have to learn to balance my wants/needs between two devices (and possibly loosing/damaging one, or both for that matter). The good thing, in my case, is that I really only want two things from Windows Phone now: Mobile wallet payments systems (either by NFC or QR), so that I don't have to always carry a debit card, and better speech functionality throughout the core OS (it's ridiculous I have to use an app like "Dictate Now" to fill an empty textbox with text). When those two things are added (along with adding some basic/advanced features that not having right now don't drive me TOO crazy lol) I'll be content enough with Windows Phone that slow updates won't even bother me anymore (unless the phone acts so bad that is truly does ruin the UX for me).

I've switched to a 4s before, and it was nice getting consistent, steady updates that weren't delayed by carriers (along with more apps and support, Siri, etc..). However, again, I still found myself wanting more from the phone outside of that steady update process and more features. I guess it really depends on the person, but I'd rather have a phone that has the UX I enjoy, rather than focus on what it doesn't have (and thus ruining why I liked the phone in the first place).

Just my .02 ....:amaze::sweaty:

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment that all these GDR updates are pretty lackluster, and Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot by over-hyping a lot of things during the Windows Phone 8 release time frame. For example, anyone here remember the "Enthusiast Program", or all the things *pretty much promised* for 2013...? None of those things have come, and to add insult to injury, a lot of the GOOD that was in Windows Phone 7 was stripped out. Windows Phone 8 was definitely rushed, and I would call this the "Windows Vista" of the Windows Phone 8 series lol.

However, patience is a virtue that is rewarded, and I plan to stick it out. I use to be one who would've already flashed GDR2 by now, only to find that I wasn't as happy with my phone after I had done it (either instantly after playing with the phone right and exploring new features after flashing, or over time, after the features I had been waiting for aren't "shiny new toys" anymore lol). I've even considered (if money ever becomes right :unhappy:) getting an iPhone 5 to go alongside my AT&T 920. However, that would only complicate things, as I would have to learn to balance my wants/needs between two devices (and possibly loosing/damaging one, or both for that matter). The good thing, in my case, is that I really only want two things from Windows Phone now: Mobile wallet payments systems (either by NFC or QR), so that I don't have to always carry a debit card, and better speech functionality throughout the core OS (it's ridiculous I have to use an app like "Dictate Now" to fill an empty textbox with text). When those two things are added (along with adding some basic/advanced features that not having right now don't drive me TOO crazy lol) I'll be content enough with Windows Phone that slow updates won't even bother me anymore (unless the phone acts so bad that is truly does ruin the UX for me).

I've switched to a 4s before, and it was nice getting consistent, steady updates that weren't delayed by carriers (along with more apps and support, Siri, etc..). However, again, I still found myself wanting more from the phone outside of that steady update process and more features. I guess it really depends on the person, but I'd rather have a phone that has the UX I enjoy, rather than focus on what it doesn't have (and thus ruining why I liked the phone in the first place).

Just my .02 ....:amaze::sweaty:

They say life is as complicated as you make it ... it kinda holds true for us Windows Phone users..
Windows phone does the basics well ... Faster updates/1080p screens/quad core processors are all just icings on an already delicious cake !

We'll all get the update sooner rather than later .. MS will fill in the blanks at its own glacial pace and Nokia will keep picking up the pieces...lets all just enjoy what we have ! (or try to at least ! :amaze: )

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So we've already had GDR1, GDR2 in process or coming, and GDR3 by years end. That's 3 major updates in a little over a year. Still not bad. And still you can't please everyone, there will always be those who want it quicker.

I wouldn't say GDR1 and 2 were major, I'd go to say they were minor or better yet much needed updates that should've been with the phone from the get go though :) GDR3 should be major though, so technically that'd be 1 major update a year.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

it's not important how many updates you will get per year, it's the feature coming with the update and people expect to see how many important features in the update. Patience has its limitation, MSFT, however, still very slow!

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
with the scheduled roll out, makes me wonder, do we have more users than iOS? or MS/Nokia just dont have enough servers to release a global update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss