Select cell data over Wi-Fi

cliac

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hope it is not duplicated, but I searched, and did not get an answer.

I wonder how to get rid of the notice of "...too big to download over a cellular network". I can understand that this is to help save the data usage. However, in an area covered by LTE, the cell data speed can be at 17Mbps or higher, but Wi-Fi would be only 2Mbps (depending on the speed of your internet connection). It doesn't make sense to be forced on Wi-fi for file download.

I have 3GB LTE data plan with AT&T. My normal monthly usage is about 300~400MB only. Now I want to download a file at about 500MB - I cannot enjoy the LTE speed but forced to use slower Wi-fi network. It's silly and ugly.

I think we at least need to have the options to switch between these 2 networks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That is not possible at this point.

▼ Why do I get an error message when I try to download an app or game?
Your phone might have temporarily lost its Internet connection, or you might be trying to download an app that's too big to download over your phone's cellular data connection. If you're trying to download an app larger than 50 megabytes (MB)—this applies to many games—you'll need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to complete the download.

1. Make sure you have a cellular data connection or a Wi-Fi connection. (You'll need Wi-Fi for apps or games larger than 50 MB.)
Source: Download apps and games FAQ | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Apple has the same policy. Apple Increases App Download Limit to 50 MB Over Cellular Network | iMore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12