How has GDR2 affected your existing Other storage?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 928, complete with 8 GB of other storage before the GDR2 update. Now, after deleting a few apps, I've found that the other storage went down to 7.59 GB. So I assume the issue is fixed, but what about the other storage that was there BEFORE things started working right?

Am I alone? How has GDR2 affected your other storage?

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
What was your other storage like before you installed GDR2?

Honestly. I thought my built up other storage would disappear after I installed the update, but it still lingers... I'm starting to wonder if I should factory restore my phone to get rid of it once and for all. >_>

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
What was your other storage like before you installed GDR2?

Honestly. I thought my built up other storage would disappear after I installed the update, but it still lingers... I'm starting to wonder if I should factory restore my phone to get rid of it once and for all. >_>

I have the same thought. My other storage was at 1.3 GB before the update, and that is where it still sits post upgrade. Granted, that isn't as high as others have reported but am still wondering if it's worth the effort to do the hard reset on it.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping users with a 8GB phone with 4GB other storage can see a 2GB reduction after GDR2. I think 2GB Other is a must, even on other platforms. Shrinking 2GB from 4 changes alot of things already I can at least install games on the 820. Now I have 0 games.

I don't want to imagine what its like for other users with more than 10GB other storage.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Before install I think it was 3.something, now it's 2.87. I remember glancing at total free storage and it was around 15.5 yesterday morning, now it's 16.09.

Last week I used Storage Cleaner and got rid of 3-4 GB in other storage.

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
My other storage before the Amber update was 2.3Gb now it is at 2.1Gb. I hope it shrinks even further in a couple of days.

lionfish0

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm out of luck for the moment (with Lumia 920)... 14 Gigs of "other" crap before the update and 14 Gigs after.
Tried to use "Shrink Storage" and Nokia's built-in tool aswell, but nothing showed up...

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
My other storage before the Amber update was 2.3Gb now it is at 2.1Gb. I hope it shrinks even further in a couple of days.

Me too... I heard someone say they lost almost all of their other storage as soon as they installed the update, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the rest of us. I hate to think of it, but we may have to factory restore one last time to get all of our space back. :/

Iki Taba

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Me too... I heard someone say they lost almost all of their other storage as soon as they installed the update, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the rest of us. I hate to think of it, but we may have to factory restore one last time to get all of our space back. :/

I hope not that was the only reason I didn't flash the leaked rom and waited for OTA. I also don't wanna lose LUMIA pusher.
If you do a factory reset please post what happend with the other storage problem.

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Over the past few days, I've noticed that my other storage IS going down, but its going down reeeeeeeaaaally slow. Its gone down about .10 MB over the past few days... -_-

The only reason I haven't factory restored yet is because i don't wanna lose my Halo data (everything else is on the cloud). But I read somewhere that Halo's data was backed up on the cloud too... Is that true?

GMarco

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I read that you have to do a factory reset to have results. So if you haven't done it and the other storage you had before is all still there it should be "normal". I would like to ask the same question instead to those who have done the hard reset, because if they haven't find any change, meaning the "other storage" keeps incresing as before, that would be the ultimate proof that gdr2 haven't fixed the problem. Also, I agree you cannot expect it to be empty, yet an almost daily neverending increase should't be normal.
Thank you so much in advance!!!
M

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I was having issues with my other storage before and when I update the other storage was lesser, this is the process I did to check what is eating my other storage cap, after update, I uninstall all the apps I don't need then check the storage to see how it shrink, check the background task, so whenever I install apps and goes to work in background, check if it adds to your other storage to see what app is causing this. I hope this checking and balance help you monitor not only the other storage issues but battery consuming apps as well.

Oxymoron428

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
To all who wanted to know, I am preparing to factory restore my phone. I currently have 7.30 GB of other storage, and I'll let you guys know what it is after the flash.

I don't have anything to lose (I'm currently transferring my music and pictures to my laptop), and all of my game data is store on the cloud (Asphalt, Order and Chaos, Ruzzle, Godville, and HOPEFULLY Halo). I'll also report on how the other section behaves as I reinstall all my apps.

Some extra statistics incase you guys are wondering:

Apps: 5.6GB
Media and Files: 4 GB
System: 1.9 GB of course
Free Space: 18 GB

EDIT: Just before my restore, I noticed something. According to my phone info Tab, it says I don't have ANY Apps stored on my phone. As in "Apps: 0 Bytes." I think it may be grouping my app data in with the other storage.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I really hope gdr2 fixes other storage issue for me I have 8gb of other storage I've only heard what it could be but no definite answers and I refuse a hard reset there has to be a actually way besides hard reset

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Before update it was 1.8 gb and after the update it's still 1.8 gb but I don't care as long as it doesn't grow back up to 22gb like it was 2 months ago (yeah I had to do factory reset back then)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb