How has GDR2 affected your existing Other storage?

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok,guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on this. GDR2, as is my understanding, does not make "other" go away. Other serves a purpose for the OS by giving the system a place to store needed data. It was designed to be dynamic and free-up/allocate that space as needed. Unfortunately, it's done a ****-poor job of managing that space and the GDR2 update is suppose to improve on how the space is managed, so that the system doesn't become bogged down with exorbitant amounts of data that could/should be freed back to the user. For example: Shrink Storage doesn't serve any purpose other than to fill up the space on a phone, forcing the system to dynamically clear some space from other back to the user. When you read some of the bad reviews for this app, and similar apps, they blame the app itself, but it's actually the OS that fails in producing a desired result.

That's my understanding of how it works. We'll see how successfully GDR2 addresses the problems.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok,guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on this. GDR2, as is my understanding, does not make "other" go away. Other serves a purpose for the OS by giving the system a place to store needed data. It was designed to be dynamic and free-up/allocate that space as needed. Unfortunately, it's done a ****-poor job of managing that space and the GDR2 update is suppose to improve on how the space is managed, so that the system doesn't become bogged down with exorbitant amounts of data that could/should be freed back to the user. For example: Shrink Storage doesn't serve any purpose other than to fill up the space on a phone, forcing the system to dynamically clear some space from other back to the user. When you read some of the bad reviews for this app, and similar apps, they blame the app itself, but it's actually the OS that fails in producing a desired result.

That's my understanding of how it works. We'll see how successfully GDR2 addresses the problems.
I have 8.1gb of other what data does my phone need? and why 8.1 GB of it?

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have 8.1gb of other what data does my phone need? and why 8.1 GB of it?

That's a question that only MS can truly answer. There's been much discussion on exactly what things are stored in other, but I don't know that we can reliably say that we completely understand it's full purpose. I'm not going to rehash all of the discussions about other, but there's plenty of info on these forums about it.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay. . .

Before GDR2 my 928 Other Storage (as reported by storage check) had crept up over 800MB. I know that's not a lot. After the OTA update it didn't drop much at all. Since it is a relatively new phone with no game settings or progress to save I performed a Hard Reset. Since then the Other Storage has not gone much above 300 MB (currently @ 295).

I don't do much with SkyDrive, downloaded videos, or other large file transactions. What I believe is that the update will not clear out existing Other Storage files -- only a Hard Reset will do that. Afterwards GDR2 does a much better job of managing Other Storage.

YMMV. . . .

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
"Your storage will still increase because this is how the system works; however, after GDR2, it'll release some of the storage when you need it." Pretty clear, isn't it?
My Lumia 620 used to have 3.0 GB in other; 1.5 GB of free storage before GDR2. Now it's the other way around: 1.7 GB in other, and 3.0 GB of free storage.
I'm not worried about this issue anymore. Just my 2 cents.

Savio D

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When is the update coming to India as my lumia 520 is eating 5.3gb of others data nd i can't use ne apps as my free storage is 0bytes.. Really pissed. Is there no other solution apart from amber update.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not 2 weeks yet since I got GDR2 and other storage has fluctuated but went down 50-100mb. The bad news is that I have 17.1GB in other. What to do?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Other storage still there even after the gdr2 update...what to do???

wait, as it takes upto 2weeks to flush un-nessicary files out.

Alternatively you can do a full reset of the device. That will clear other, and the update will prevent it from happening again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb