Switching from Blackberry.... Help?!

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay! I've been a long time BB Curve user... and talked myself out of buying a Bold 9900, and picked up a red Lumia 920 instead!

So far I'm pretty happy, but there are a few things I've noticed.

Messaging apps, for example Viber and Kik. If I'm talking to someone, go to do something else, and open the app again from the start screen, it restarts the whole app? It doesn't just jump back to wherever you were which I find really weird. Is this normal?

The office suite is something that's so far really disappointed me. It's really pretty basic, functionally speaking. Documents To Go on my BB let you edit tables and do a whole host of other things, that this simply doesn't do.

Email is a LOT better on WP (which i find somewhat ironic), because I'm actually able to view ALL the folders from my email accounts. On my BB you could only view the inbox, with no option to sync other folders. You can't attach anything other than images though which is somewhat irritating. I reeeeally hope this is something they fix. Not a deal breaker, but it would be useful.

I do miss the file browser. If someone sends me a zip file, i can't open it.

I don't even need to mention the difference in picture quality here. Pureview Camera is awesome, and it really does live up to the whole low light thing.

Notification center... I still don't know if I actually want one. The start screen does a pretty good job and its efficient.

There are so many great apps on here. I don't get why people complain about the app count, because I've basically found everything that I used on my blackberry, barring Google Maps which isn't an issue. I'm yet to find a decent, SIMPLE RSS reader. Every reader on the store wants to do a billion different things. Bb has an app called Blackberry news, that is barebones rss feeds and an unread counter. That's all i'm looking for.

But mostly, I'm just very impressed with the value for money. A new 8GB BB Torch would have set me back around $359. For the same price, I got a 4.5" phone, with an incredible camera and 32GB storage AND 4G.

Looking forward to the Amber update which I'm hoping will appear soon. Pro Camera looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Liam, congrats on the L920, its a great phone, I owned one from launch date until i bought the 1020 on launch date, I'll try to answer some of your questions if i can... first regarding viber, i'm unclear on how your trying to relaunch the app, are you just relaunching the app from your start screen or are you using the back key? if your in any app and want to keep it open dont back out of the app, just hit the windows key at bottom of phone, this keeps the app active in the back ground, when you want to go back to the app press and hold the back key and this will display all the apps you still have open in the background, second you should be able to attach documents to emails as well as pics, i dont use any rss readers but your right, all the ones i have tried were as you described, im sure someone on the forums will be able to help you there, i was a little surprised on your comments regarding a notification center, this is a heated debate in our community lol, i fall into the camp of we dont need one but most people coming from another platform usually scream about this lol, glad your enjoying your phone and welcome to our WP "club" lol

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Okay! I've been a long time BB Curve user... and talked myself out of buying a Bold 9900, and picked up a red Lumia 920 instead!

So far I'm pretty happy, but there are a few things I've noticed.

Messaging apps, for example Viber and Kik. If I'm talking to someone, go to do something else, and open the app again from the start screen, it restarts the whole app? It doesn't just jump back to wherever you were which I find really weird. Is this normal?

The office suite is something that's so far really disappointed me. It's really pretty basic, functionally speaking. Documents To Go on my BB let you edit tables and do a whole host of other things, that this simply doesn't do.

Email is a LOT better on WP (which i find somewhat ironic), because I'm actually able to view ALL the folders from my email accounts. On my BB you could only view the inbox, with no option to sync other folders. You can't attach anything other than images though which is somewhat irritating. I reeeeally hope this is something they fix. Not a deal breaker, but it would be useful.

I do miss the file browser. If someone sends me a zip file, i can't open it.

I don't even need to mention the difference in picture quality here. Pureview Camera is awesome, and it really does live up to the whole low light thing.

Notification center... I still don't know if I actually want one. The start screen does a pretty good job and its efficient.

There are so many great apps on here. I don't get why people complain about the app count, because I've basically found everything that I used on my blackberry, barring Google Maps which isn't an issue. I'm yet to find a decent, SIMPLE RSS reader. Every reader on the store wants to do a billion different things. Bb has an app called Blackberry news, that is barebones rss feeds and an unread counter. That's all i'm looking for.

But mostly, I'm just very impressed with the value for money. A new 8GB BB Torch would have set me back around $359. For the same price, I got a 4.5" phone, with an incredible camera and 32GB storage AND 4G.

Looking forward to the Amber update which I'm hoping will appear soon. Pro Camera looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

I have never used kik or viber but whatsapp does have "Quick resume"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac