Adblock Plus out for Internet Explorer!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It only works for the desktop version of IE, not the metro version. It also fails to eliminate the ads in outlook.com. The Firefox and Opera versions eliminate the ads in outlook.com.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The Firefox and Opera versions eliminate the ads in outlook.com.

That's quite interesting. Maybe MS did the same thing like Google, and ask them to not block their own ads but put an option in the settings if the user wants to?

I don't have a PC to test it out on as I'm somewhere else with only my Surface RT and WiFi for a bit, but maybe that's the case. I've also heard that this version of Adblock Plus doesn't have as much options as the other browsers' versions. Either way, I'm excited to try it out!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's quite interesting. Maybe MS did the same thing like Google, and ask them to not block their own ads but put an option in the settings if the user wants to?

I don't have a PC to test it out on as I'm somewhere else with only my Surface RT and WiFi for a bit, but maybe that's the case. I've also heard that this version of Adblock Plus doesn't have as much options as the other browsers' versions. Either way, I'm excited to try it out!
I tested it just to see. I rarely use IE and use mainly Firefox and sometimes use Opera. I also run Linux, so I prefer using a cross-platform browser.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
How to block ads from outlook.com in IE desktop/modern without using AdBlock +:

In IE desktop go to "Tools" --> "Tracking Protection" --> "Get Tracking Protection list online", add at least "EasyList Standard" and "EasyPrivacy". Close out all instances of IE Desktop and IE Modern, then go to outlook.com in either version and the ads will be gone (and on other websites too. MS put this in awhile ago, but no one has every really reported it).

Enjoy ;)

The only list I don't recommend adding is 'Stop Google Tracking'. I tried it for a bit, and it made web surfing unbearable. It blocked to much stuff. I do wish there was an easier way to add other lists that aren't on the MS website. I like the new Adblock + malware list.

I have installed AdBlock + for IE, not bad, but still needs some work. In the other version of AdBlock +, there is a default checkbox of "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" which I always uncheck, but I have a feeling that AdBlock + for IE defaults it on.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
OMG this was kinda the only thing that kept me from jumping over to IE10+
Yea, once I found this feature, I've gone back to using IE for the majority of my browsing in Win8 (I like the syncing of bookmarks across other Win8 devices). There are some websites that will choke with the TPL (Tracking Protection List) enabled (ex: www.revision3.com and their videos). For them, I jump back to Firefox with AdBlock +.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow very nice, this was one of the few reasons I still use Google Chrome. Internet Explorer has drastically improved over the last couple of years. I don't know if I can make the switch still, but this is a great boon and one to make me re-consider.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
How to block ads from outlook.com in IE desktop/modern without using AdBlock +:

In IE desktop go to "Tools" --> "Tracking Protection" --> "Get Tracking Protection list online", add at least "EasyList Standard" and "EasyPrivacy". Close out all instances of IE Desktop and IE Modern, then go to outlook.com in either version and the ads will be gone (and on other websites too. MS put this in awhile ago, but no one has every really reported it).

Enjoy ;)

The only list I don't recommend adding is 'Stop Google Tracking'. I tried it for a bit, and it made web surfing unbearable. It blocked to much stuff. I do wish there was an easier way to add other lists that aren't on the MS website. I like the new Adblock + malware list.

I have installed AdBlock + for IE, not bad, but still needs some work. In the other version of AdBlock +, there is a default checkbox of "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" which I always uncheck, but I have a feeling that AdBlock + for IE defaults it on.

That's pretty cool! I have a serious question: is it more effective to use Adblock Plus or the Tracking Prevention List versions you mentioned to block ads?

GardSec

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been using IE desktop and Metro since Windows 8 and I didn't know Outlook.com had ads until I used a computer at work.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Adblock Plus is still a tiny little bit better, because it'll block Youtube ads, and I believe it also hides the empty page elements after blocking the ad (it does in Chrome and FF, not sure if the IE version does).

Still, if you use the Metro IE, which personally is the only version I use, then a TPL is the only way to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre