Windows Phone vs Android vs iOS Devices

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Whereas android is more like a newer mustang. Put all the power you want into it, it may reach decent speeds at times but ultimately it's no more reliable than a pinto.

no more reliable? I don't know but all the high spec droids are pretty solid . I recently checked my friends htc one and a nexus 4 , both of them are running like a dream, no scrolling lags . Even if there are stutters, its not going to be irritating or as bad as what the media portays. If you have ocd, then skip android otherwise its a great os with plenty of tools. Unlike the functionally limited windows phone- what it is.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple - Recommend to Beginners
Android- Recommend to Devs
WP - Recommend to People

I'd probably switch Apple & WP; Apple for people and WP for beginners.

WP is too limited in functionality but its simplicity and large-tiled simple UI makes it great for beginners. But after someone gets used to what a smartphone can do, they may want more. WP cannot provide the functionality that iOS & Android can.

Anil Ghatikar

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I always wondered how Wp8 will be like being a avid user of 6.windows 6.5 ( HTC touch hd and others) who changed to android ( sensation, desire, one s and now nexus 4) till I got 925 due to company excahnge sync policies .

In two words Wp8 is fluid and fast but long way to go to match two major things which a phone should have

1. T9 dialing - What MS was thinking even 8 year old phones such as symbian P900 had this . whay should I have to load something like Rapdialer
2. persistent notifications in third party programmes - if I get a whatsapp or even gmail message it breifley scrolls and disappears with only a number on the live tile. Does MS expect me to keep looking at my screen every time it makes a sound - what if i am driving or in a meeting. - Nothing beats android in showing notifications and allowing direct actions without opening app

I miss it so much that I got a nexus 7 to replace the functionality for all my play apps( facebook, line, twitter , gmail, outlook.com etc)
Also I use Ipod touch and XBMC hacked into my appel TV for my Daily entertainment hub( audio and video podcasts)

If you want work phone with good battery life get Wp8
if you are a scoial animal or gamer get Android
if you are heavily into music or streaming videos get IOS as nothing beats the simplicity of Airplay

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This forum shows bias, but it is for different views on different phones. I disagree with some things said, like the music being better on iOS(I love live music tile and lockscreen) and I agree that WP has horrible notifications. They do make it up with the people hub though. I just suggest you kinda browse around the internet and find out which OS is better for you. It is your money so choose what you want, and maybe you can tell us what you like to use your phone for to help you find the best one for you.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To me, iOS is fine if you are all in on the Apple community and ecosystem. It is stable, controlled, and supported well. The devices work excellently across the platforms. However, if you are not Apple only, it is a large waste of money. Yes, you can get it to work fine with other OS's, but you are paying a premium and not getting the advantages. Is it dull? That is preferences. I do no like the price or lack of device choices, so I have stayed away. But I respect what they have built.

Google is Google. It is easy to tamper with, but over time even the top end devices get bogged down in the performance. It is how back ground tasks work- you need to manage an Android device, or it will manage you. But, it is the easiest to own because of the huge selection, has the most tools and options, you can find any type of device you want, and apps are available to you from all walks of life, big and small. I absolutely feel you should buy the elite of Android. And actually, I feel updates on Android are over rated. If you buy an Ice Cream Sandwich device, keep it there. Updates tend to cause more problems then they are worth. (Not firmware updates or fixes, just OS upgrades) .

WP has some proving to do. As top level games, apps, and functions come to iOS and Android, we still sit back and just wonder when is it our turn. We also need to see MS prove it's support. The lack of WP7 upgrades leaves a lot of room for doubt. MS needs to show this 18 month support and OS upgrades.

But, remove those two complaints and WP shines. It is personable. You move around any tile to any place and what is important to you is there. It is smooth and seamless. Nokia especially is great for fixng problems with their devices, and truth be told MS has been slow but really good about addressing firmware issues as well. It is fun, easy to find what you want, XBOX Music and XBOX Live are fun developing services, and the choices in devices is improving (again, thank you Nokia). Samsung has also done a decent job of supporting their WP's, if not promoting them. I love where MS is going with their ecosystem. I love the upside of WP.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Having had an S3 (Jellybean 4.1.1) and now a Lumia 520, I like Android better. I didn't really notice any lag, and I rely on Google apps (Google Now, Keep, Tasks, Play (for music), Drive, Photosphere), some of which has no 1st or 3rd party equivalent on WP8. Personally, I like the look of Android better, the file manager, Calendar looks better on Android, more app selection, notification customization. there is a greater choice of browsers. I had Chrome, Firefox, Stock, Opera, and others, which I could sync with my desktop browsers. One thing I hope WP8 implements is better notification. I use 3 email accounts (Hotmail, Gmail, and Work). I can turn each notification on independently and have a different ringtone for each. For WP8, it's either all on or all off with the same tone.

WP8 is smooth and without lag. Not so much a WP8 feature, but I do appreciate the FM radio on my 520. I like how I can take pics w/out unlocking the phone, something I couldn't do on my Android. In time, the app selection will improve. I hope Google will develop some more apps for WP8. A couple annoying things on WP8 apps (at least for me) is that on Skype, I cannot attach messages whereas I could on Android. Also, a minor thing with the eBay app is that if one of my auctions ended, I could not relist it with the WP8 app. Yes, I could do it on the IE mobile browser, but it's annoying that I have to do that. Anyways, I am enjoying WP8 and hope that as the platform matures, some of these things will be improved.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Some great responses here!

I currently use both WP8 and Android. I've had an iPhone in the past, but find ios boring and too confining. My thoughts:

Android positives:
Highly flexible
Huge hardware selection
Great app store
Fantastic keyboards
Google software integration

Android negatives:
Poor cameras in general
Mid & low tier phones are weak
Lack of consistency in app UI
Bigger learning curve for a beginner

WP8 positives
Consistent app design
Smooth even on low tier phones
Great camera options
Nokia hardware is very solid
Easy to use for beginners

WP8 negatives
Keyboard is not good
Hard to use with Google software
Apps still not all there and too often lack functions found in Android and ios

There are many things I like about both platforms. I plan to hang on to my 920 to see how WP8 matures, but Android is my daily driver for now.

johnnyboy5520

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I just came from Android and love Windows Phone 8 so far, however, I'm not giving up Android altogether. I plan to get a Nexus 7 so I'll have the best of both worlds. What do I like about Windows 8? Well I like the Metro UI and the OS is fluid. I also like Mobile IE believe or not. Mobile Outlook is excellent and of course syncing is a breeze. All the apps aren't there yet and but I found most of the ones I need and use. And any that I can't find, I'll get with the Nexus. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Sure, WP 8 is missing some features compared to the competition, but that's sure to be remedied in time. I'm also looking forward to some 7" Windows tablets. I'll soon be drowning in gadgets.

I don't care for IOS though. It does nothing for me.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620, my mom has an iPhone 5 and my brother has an entry level Android phone. Let's see...

My number one gripe about Android isn't its glaring similarity to desktop Windows (Fragmentation, Lag, slowing down over time, widgets, security...), it's not even Google, it's the default font. I know that it's supposed to be robotic, and it's supposed to look cool, and I know I can replace it anyway, but the best you could come up with is Roboto? Really? I say you replace it with Comic Sans and call it a day.
Then again, that's one of the few problems I have with Android. If I did go Android, I'd wait for HTC to bring Sense 5 to their Desire line.

My number one gripe about Windows Phone is how half-baked it looks, and how half-baked Windows 8 is compared to it.

And, I have a ton of gripes about iOS.

I'm fine with any of these three as a daily driver, though. Heck, let's toss in a Q5 for good measure!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that Android users were mostly developers or people who were brought over simply due to trend.

Windows Phone users were people whom most remained very loyal to Microsoft, and many most likely were Windows Mobile users.

iOS users are people who like to stand out, and have the trendiest features in their phone (Many Android users are kinda like this too.)

Blackberry users are usually business men, who give two craps about what they use, and they want what they use to work efficiently.

Many might Disagree, but from other forums, and people in general where i live. This is how it seems.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 620, my mom has an iPhone 5 and my brother has an entry level Android phone. Let's see...

My number one gripe about Android isn't its glaring similarity to desktop Windows (Fragmentation, Lag, slowing down over time, widgets, security...), it's not even Google, it's the default font. I know that it's supposed to be robotic, and it's supposed to look cool, and I know I can replace it anyway, but the best you could come up with is Roboto? Really? I say you replace it with Comic Sans and call it a day.
Then again, that's one of the few problems I have with Android. If I did go Android, I'd wait for HTC to bring Sense 5 to their Desire line.

My number one gripe about Windows Phone is how half-baked it looks, and how half-baked Windows 8 is compared to it.

And, I have a ton of gripes about iOS.

I'm fine with any of these three as a daily driver, though. Heck, let's toss in a Q5 for good measure!
Roboto is only on stock Android phones. Whatever entry level Android phone you have will most definitely NOT have Roboto. HTC, Samsung, Sony etc all use their own fonts. I have the new Nexus 7 in front of me right now and Roboto looks beautiful.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a difficult question to answer because the system requirements for each mobile OS are different. You can't directly compare specs between Android phones and WP phones and then fairly conclude that WP hardware is lacking.
Actually you can. The core OS itself might have different requirements but apps and games require powerful hardware, regardless of platform. There isn't any gold-dust developers can use to make a really stunning looking game for Tegra 4, and then have it look just as good on a 2 year old Snapdragon S 4 of a Windows Phone. Same goes with video and picture editing apps which tend to heavily rely on CPU power, which again is lacking on Windows Phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You buy an iPhone because its exotic, the nearest to be complete. sadly its very far from my daily drivers experience "a PC". its fun to switch to an iPhone at this point if you haven't been an iPhone user, because to you, its not boring as those people who only used IPhones from the begging.

You buy an Android because you are a Geek, and you love fiddling around with ROMs, and you enjoy that update progress bar reaching 100% on a daily basis as support is amazing. a huge amount of features that I am sure you would love about 40% of them what ever type of user you were. sadly all of this freedom and joy comes with the cost of crashing, lagging, and fast aging.

and since you are asking a Q in a WP forum, i don't promise to be fair with my judgment, but...

You buy a WP to be unique, because you are an early adopter who likes to try new things, because new is always better and because you feel like the person who is making a difference in the mobile ecosystem with each positive or negative thing you say about it to a friend.

WP is very fluid, very simple, the design is wow, the idea of having squares that represent window tiles (you look through them to see information) and the animation of opening them and closing them is as you are dealing with a real window is enough to understand were the design process reached while creating this master piece.

WP is limited on features, but the ones that we have (especially Nokia devices) are more superior that any other. Microsoft promised us a lot of exciting features, some works fine others are in development but are pretty promising.

I love the WP experience.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I always thought that Android users were mostly developers or people who were brought over simply due to trend.

Windows Phone users were people whom most remained very loyal to Microsoft, and many most likely were Windows Mobile users.

iOS users are people who like to stand out, and have the trendiest features in their phone (Many Android users are kinda like this too.)

Blackberry users are usually business men, who give two craps about what they use, and they want what they use to work efficiently.

Many might Disagree, but from other forums, and people in general where i live. This is how it seems.

I wouldn't know about where you live, but here in Perth, Australia, an iPhone definitely does not stand out. More people here use an iPhone than pretty much any other phone and I'm pretty sure as of now (correct me if I'm wrong though) the iPhone 4 is still the most used phone in the world. I wouldn't say they use it to stand out at all, I'd say quite the opposite in fact - they're following the sheep because that's what's considered 'cool'.

Android users I wouldn't say are following the trend or anything, they just end up buying one because they're the most abundant in the market. The sheer variety of options Android has allows it to target pretty much every single level of the market - about 90% of people who are browsing their options of the particular price point or range of smartphones that they're interested in are going to end up getting an Android for the aforementioned reason.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't know about where you live, but here in Perth, Australia, an iPhone definitely does not stand out. More people here use an iPhone than pretty much any other phone and I'm pretty sure as of now (correct me if I'm wrong though) the iPhone 4 is still the most used phone in the world. I wouldn't say they use it to stand out at all, I'd say quite the opposite in fact - they're following the sheep because that's what's considered 'cool'.

Android users I wouldn't say are following the trend or anything, they just end up buying one because they're the most abundant in the market. The sheer variety of options Android has allows it to target pretty much every single level of the market - about 90% of people who are browsing their options of the particular price point or range of smartphones that they're interested in are going to end up getting an Android for the aforementioned reason.
I fully agree with your points, they actually were better than mine. :)

I live in south east Victoria, what I meant was that people who think if they get an iPhone, they'll stand out.

I didnt get a Windows phone because it wasn't an iPhone, it was because it was it was running Windows phone, it was a Nokia and I love Nokia. :)

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually you can. The core OS itself might have different requirements but apps and games require powerful hardware, regardless of platform. There isn't any gold-dust developers can use to make a really stunning looking game for Tegra 4, and then have it look just as good on a 2 year old Snapdragon S 4 of a Windows Phone. Same goes with video and picture editing apps which tend to heavily rely on CPU power, which again is lacking on Windows Phone.
That is a good point. I don't tend to play games on my smartphones, so that comparison didn't occur to me.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree with your points, they actually were better than mine. :)

I live in south east Victoria, what I meant was that people who think if they get an iPhone, they'll stand out.

I didnt get a Windows phone because it wasn't an iPhone, it was because it was it was running Windows phone, it was a Nokia and I love Nokia. :)

Ah so you live in Australia then... good to meet a fellow countryman on here :D Haha

But yeah I get what you mean. I wouldn't exactly say they buy it to stand out, but rather to look rich and top class since in today's world the iPhone and pretty much all other Apple products are looked upon as the most 'premium' devices in their category that everyone desires to have. They're mostly ignorant people though. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa