Windows Phone vs Android vs iOS Devices

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone users were people whom most remained very loyal to Microsoft, and many most likely were Windows Mobile users.
Speaking from personal experience, I am a long-time PalmOS and Apple loyalist. I never liked Windows Mobile. When Palm/HP killed WebOS, the mobile OS that seemed the closest in feel and efficiency as a potential replacement was WP7. That's why I eventually decided to switch to WP. WP8 is even better now.

mikkokartano

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just switched iPhone5 to Lumia720(!). Had Lumia920 before iPhone5 and now i'am perfectly happy to 720. Too little changes to iOs7 and it feeled really boring..

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Had a year experience with the Htc Desire HD, less than a year of Samsung s3, about a year of iPhone 5 and now currently using my new Lumia 1020.

What i enjoyed about android was the amount of customisability I had and control over my phone. I was a pretty crazy flashaholic always trying different roms, messing with kernels and trying to sexify my home screen, but after a little over half a year kinda grew lazy and became less crazy about it.During the time of my Desire hd the market just didn't have enough apps to keep me going at that age. I mean, I occasionally stole my dads iphone to play some games .
I upgraded to an s3,quality apps and games started coming in, but android really didn't impress me much anymore, so i decided to give iOs a shot.

Ran my iphone 5 for 3 months before i decided what jailbreak can offer me . And i was honestly pretty hooked with it. My 32gb white iphone was sexy( ran naked) and stuffed with more than 15gb of weird games that kept me entertained for many many hours. Sure it didn't have the level of customisability of an andoird but the ios look kinda grew on me and i must say i had lots of fun with the phone. My last remaining time with my iphone 5, i spent it running with ios7 beta, I for one enjoyed it, its a fresh new look and when i went back to 6.1.4 ( passed it on to my sis ) the UI was an eyesore to me :evil:, even my sister preferred the looks of ios7 :smile:

Then lumia 1020 was released and i was instantaneously hooked by its looks. ( Yes I'm a sucker for looks), and the fact its a windows phone cause well, i've always wanted to give it a go. Had it for around 2 weeks and I'm so far enjoying it . Window phone does feel more streamlined, it pretty simple, and honestly i kind like the tiles, a few kinks here and there in the system but nothing i cant roll with yet. I could say i do definitely prefer windows over android, but haven't used it long enough for me to compare with my iphone yet xD. One thing i do miss from the transition was the apps and games. I don't play much games now, but it is something I still miss.

Theres my short story of my experiences with android , ios and windows phone :cool:

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
You must have never used an iOS device. You say iPhone has everything, lol. If iPhone had everything why do people have to jailbreak their devices? An iPhone is like being in a jail. You have very limited freedom.

People hold Apple to lower standards. Nobody complained about the need to convert any videos (even MP4s) before transferring them into iDevices....or the lack of USB/HDMI ports....Or SD card slots....or the fact the iPhone was tied exclusively to the worst wireless carrier in the country. Apple could release a black+white TV and sell it for 1 Grand and people would still find a way to rationalize it.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I went back to Windows Phone after stints with an Atrix HD, Nexus 4 and most recently a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Despite imporvements in hardware, processor speed and the like I noticed regular slowdowns and force closures. I was almost guaranteed a reboot about every other day. The final nail in the coffin was the alleged water resistance on the S4 - not a knock on Android but more on the hardware manufacturers that bring out hookey features that look great on paper but don't always yield a positive result. I went through two S4 Actives within the last week and a half. I was out of town on a trip to Orlando when the first phone I bought bit the dust. Despite AT&T's own internal communications about water damage replacements the first store told me to go to Best Buy. After that I managed to get in with a much cleaner and better organized store that made the swap which took around 90 minutes to complete. (I was the first S4 Active exchange processed there)

AT&T is taking back my second S4 because the device failed without being submerged in water. What's the point of having a device you cannot submerge in water? Is that Aqua Mode really meant for photos in the rain or worse the shower?

I have a Lumia 1020 right now, thanks to multiple lines. Because I've owned a 900 and 920 the interface is very familiar and the build of the 1020 is nearly identical to previous models. I have not had to restart the phone, force close unresponsive apps, etc. It just works. Hopefully an 1120 isn't on the horizon for a December 9th launch.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy WP because of fluidity, ease of use, security, native social network integration, ease with connecting to PC, Skydrive integration, I can edit docs and spreadsheets easily, everything backs up and restores automatically or very simply if you need to, and last but not least, I like how it looks!!

Tiles be flippin!!!!

I echo this reply. That said, I did get a Nexus 7 tablet because I believe the sweet spot for tablets is that size. I have a WP8 and a Surface Pro. The Surface is basically my laptop replacement and the Nexus 7 is my consumption device. I can't want to see what Microsoft and their partners do with a tablet that size. The Iconia W3 didn't cut it...

Jumoke Bolanle

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
One thing holding me back is the notification system as it lacks the functionality that other OS's might have. I understand that Microsoft is looking into a really minimalist approach but I think they should build a notification system that combines the simplicity and functionality. Maybe a slide up feature or vice-versa. Maybe even a slide to the left option in the home-screen to view notifications.

Personally, I think that the slide down from the top notification system is the best way for all OS's. It can be simple and functional. Being able to see ALL your notifications in other apps is also a must. I even believe the best version of the slide down notification system might be best implemented with Windows Phone 8.

I'm still getting a WP8 though :love:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have all the stuff that gives me notification pinned to my start screen. Its right there that I see it all anyway. No need for a notification screen. If its important to me, I pin it. Buff said

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While a notification screen may be nice I don't understand the absolute need for it. I keep my messaging, room, and group tiles pinned towards the top of my start screen. At a glance I can see if I have a message/update. Depending on which tile has a number, I know if it's just a message from someone, a message from a close friend or a message from family. Quick, simple and just one gesture.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
While a notification screen may be nice I don't understand the absolute need for it. I keep my messaging, room, and group tiles pinned towards the top of my start screen. At a glance I can see if I have a message/update. Depending on which tile has a number, I know if it's just a message from someone, a message from a close friend or a message from family. Quick, simple and just one gesture.
well, nobody forces you to use it.
I would like it alot

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes but when you have multiple notifications from different people, the app tile(ex: facebook,call,messaging) will show only the last one whereas on Android notification center, you'll truely see all notifications, including multiple facebook notifications, whatsapp messages real time, etc. It's a whole different thing. . Also for calls, you get to see a different section (as Call History) including duration time for dialed numbers, received calls, etc. Also it can display individual number- call history so you can keep track of all the information.

Its just how you want it on your mobile - what works best for you. Functionality wise, there's nothing to beat Android period. I really hope a notification center amongst other missing things will come to WP hopefully by next year so that it will keep pace with Droid and iOS.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Alright reading these comments I'm seeing mixed views. Now I let me say when Apple provides Apple PROVIDES. Each OS update they do is something big. Windows phone on the other hand has kinda disappointed me(still love it) because they do not provide like apple does. iOS7 definitely doesn't seem boring like that quick settings option that is amazing, but I can't do amazing things like that. Also Apple is kinda of Put up or shut up too, but Apple works all year on a big update that jumps a while number in OS. I was waiting for this windows update that added some little changes, I would've been incredibly happy if they provided like apple does. Compare our update to iOS7. There whole layout changed and if we look at the update by just seeing non amber features there was nothing big about this update. My previous post made it seemed like I disliked Apple, but apple knows how to give consumers features that they want. A notification center would be great, but we have neither, something simple like being able to change lock screen to show that my phone is actually charging instead of thinking I saw the small little plug in the corner. Other things even simpler like being able to see my battery percentage in the top corner without having to pin a tile to the screen that won't update for 30mins. I see why people aren't throwing their iPhones in the trash and jumping on a windows phone. Microsoft has to provide for people to migrate to their OS. Windows Phone feels like the first iPhone with its little apps and lack of simple features. I didn't realize how upset these little things made me until after the GDR2 update and how they still haven't added simple features and how I might have to wait another year to get these extra features. How they want to make space for more tiles, but not add these features(I would rather prefer a new tile size like a medium wide tile. Where it is like a banner.) Now do you all see why there are so few people coming to our OS? We all keep believing and saying the apps are steadily growing, and crap like that, but what exactly does that do? Windows Phone needs to catch up or they will be left behind.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
For a BIG OS Update, wait for 8.1... It should be out by next year and as screenshots indicated will come with notification center. But I am not sure about the quick toggles or settings.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think there should be more personal opinions vs. opinions coming off as facts such as "Android is laggy & buggy" and "Windows Phone doesn't have the functionality of iOS & Android" since those two are due to user experience

Anyhow, for me, I love Windows Phone for these reasons (over the competition):

1. Social media. I can create contact groups and pin them as live tiles. For example, I can have a family tile, add the family members in there, and I can keep up with their activity. I find this to work better than scrolling through the news feeds on the social sites

2. Live tiles. They work better than widgets, for me. They're not as up to the minute, but they also don't drain my battery like I've experienced with Android widgets. I like that they work as a notification center as well as a news feed

3. Xbox Music. I feel Spotify comes close in functionality, but I love how Xbox Music works. I HATE how I have to trick it into making playlists (lol) but I love what Xbox Music brings. Being able to download songs and not use data, and listen to all the songs I want.

4. Metro UI. The experience makes the device for me. I can customize my homescreen natively without having to spend a long time on it (like Android), everything is uniform with the design of Metro, and it's refreshing.

5. Nokia. I haven't owned a Nokia phone since 2007. My following Nokia was the Lumia 900. I've always loved Nokias so I was glad to finally be able to use them in a more current fashion

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I think there should be more personal opinions vs. opinions coming off as facts such as "Android is laggy & buggy" and "Windows Phone doesn't have the functionality of iOS & Android" since those two are due to user experience

Anyhow, for me, I love Windows Phone for these reasons (over the competition):

1. Social media. I can create contact groups and pin them as live tiles. For example, I can have a family tile, add the family members in there, and I can keep up with their activity. I find this to work better than scrolling through the news feeds on the social sites

2. Live tiles. They work better than widgets, for me. They're not as up to the minute, but they also don't drain my battery like I've experienced with Android widgets. I like that they work as a notification center as well as a news feed

3. Xbox Music. I feel Spotify comes close in functionality, but I love how Xbox Music works. I HATE how I have to trick it into making playlists (lol) but I love what Xbox Music brings. Being able to download songs and not use data, and listen to all the songs I want.

4. Metro UI. The experience makes the device for me. I can customize my homescreen natively without having to spend a long time on it (like Android), everything is uniform with the design of Metro, and it's refreshing.

5. Nokia. I haven't owned a Nokia phone since 2007. My following Nokia was the Lumia 900. I've always loved Nokias so I was glad to finally be able to use them in a more current fashion
Exactly...these are my favorite features of the phone. I would like to see more features, I will still be windows phone because I was hooked when I saw the live tiles, but a lot people aren't gonna be like me and fall in love. I do actually like Xbox music then IOS music. I was just kinda expecting more from a big computer company. Luckily, I have an iPod touch 4g(unfortunately won't be getting iOS7) to compliment my needs.

enik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The main advantage is the simplicity and in the case of Nokia devices the cameras. Its a great platform but if you are tied into googles services you will be pretty underwhelmed. The same goes for apps. Most of the ones I need are there but a lot are missing. If your looking for an OS besides Android or iOS I'd recommend taking a look at bb OS10. It ties in better with services other than Microsoft, the hub is the best notification center I've ever seen, and while the app situation is on par with windows phone you can use a computer program to install Android apps. This is coming from someone who sells phones and owns the flagships of every major phone OS. The best total package is still Android but if you want something refreshing I think BB OS 10 is a better option than windows phone.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo